Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: A life in 12 bars.  (Read 2614 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
A life in 12 bars.
« on: 01 July 2018, 09:19:57 »

Did anyone watch this on BBC2 last night ?
It was a fantastic biography on the life of Eric Clapton. Very insightful, warts and all, and at times a very emotional film.
The footage near the end about the death of his son was heartbreaking to watch.
It took him until well into his 50,s to begin to experience what happiness means.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: A life in 12 bars.
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2018, 09:27:03 »

Missed it....... >:(

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2018, 09:35:51 »

recorded so i can watch in peace when SWMBO is at work   ;) ;)
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2018, 10:39:06 »

I would imagine it will be on BBC iPlayer.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2018, 10:50:46 »

Missed the end as I had to go to bed as I was trashed - by the nature of that documentary, you had to put some concentration in to not only listen to what they were saying on the footage, but also understand what was being said. And I was too tired.

His early years were obviously well before my time, and although I knew he had had his demons, I never knew it was to that extent :o. I found it quite shocking, both the hermit years and the subsequent comeback.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2018, 11:39:06 »

Yes it did require concentration and proper listening. From what I know, quite a lot of the worst stuff from the crazy years was left out, probably due  to the fact that you cant fit 73 years into 2 hours.
My only criticism is that 90% of the film concentrated on the period up to the early/ mid 70,s and then it skipped through the last 40 years or so.
The comeback started when friends in the business rallied round and organised a concert at the Rainbow theatre in London and coaxed him into doing it.
He was a complete mess, and played Layla so badly that the other musicians on stage had to step in and try to rescue things.
The audience though cheered him so loudly because they were so glad to see him back, he just stood on the stage with tears rolling down his face.
In the early to mid 90,s after his son died, he returned to playing the blues as if his life depended on it, and produced some of the best work of his life. I would liked to have seen some of that period in the film.
He once quoted the phrase from Blake "The road of excess, leads to the path of wisdom." It seems to have worked in his case - eventually.
The "Enoch speech" in Birmingham, which was mentioned in the film damaged his career immensely in this country. To this day there are many lefties in the music business who wont have anything to do with him because of it. They cant show any understanding of the fact that it came from a tortured man, who was lashing out at everyone and everything in a drunken stupor.
The background to the speech was that earlier in the day a man of foreign appearance grabbed his wife from behind and told her she had "lovely child bearing hips". She was actually unable to have children and so was distraught by this.
When Clapton heard about it, he did his usual daily routine of two bottles of brandy washed down with a gallon of beer, and then went on stage and let fly with his racist tirade.
Ive read his autobiography and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in an even more in depth version of the story.
Its great to see him happy at last, but from a purely selfish music fan point of view, it has meant that he has lost that ability to convey huge emotion through his playing.
It would take a hard hearted person to deny him some happiness in his twilight years though.
In case its not obvious, Im a bit of a fan.  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 July 2018, 12:13:27 »

The Blues renaissance mid 90,s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVJcG0yQRYA

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2018, 12:39:57 »

In the early to mid 90,s after his son died, he returned to playing the blues as if his life depended on it, and produced some of the best work of his life.
And got back to being able to play properly, probably because he'd started to sort himself out, because his talent is unquestionable when his head is clear-ish.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2018, 12:51:39 »

True. He probably had to remember how to actually play while sober.
He said in his autobiography that he was in his 40,s the first time he had sex while sober !
His level of natural talent in his teens/ early twenties was staggering. No-one had seen anything quite like it, until Hendrix came along.
I still think the 2nd solo on Creams, Crossroads, live at the filmore, is the best solo Ive ever heard.
« Last Edit: 01 July 2018, 12:55:50 by Migv6 »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 July 2018, 12:59:09 »

In the early to mid 90,s after his son died, he returned to playing the blues as if his life depended on it, and produced some of the best work of his life.
And got back to being able to play properly, probably because he'd started to sort himself out, because his talent is unquestionable when his head is clear-ish.

This has also allowed him to buy Bernie Ecclestones yacht, and build up one of the best collections of Ferraris in the world.
Nice work if you can get do it.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 July 2018, 14:06:56 »

This has also allowed him to buy Bernie Ecclestones yacht, and build up one of the best collections of Ferraris in the world.
Nice work if you can get do it.
Given that his legacy goes far beyond music, I would say that they are just* rewards...

https://crossroadsantigua.org/ :y

*just as in righteous rather than only...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 July 2018, 14:12:12 »

Yep, he has put his heart and soul into that project. Sold all his beloved guitars for $millions at a couple of auctions to get it off the ground.
One of the guitars he sold was made for him by an old friend of mine. Funnily enough, back in the day the old friend concerned had quite a fixation on Clapton, to the point he even convinced himself that he looked like him (he didn't).
He was older than me and kept talking about this Clapton geezer and his guitar playing.
He loaned my sister a pile of albums, including Disreali gears and Layla, which was the catalyst for me changing from listening to early 70,s glitter pop crap, to a lifelong love of the blues and good rock music.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 July 2018, 14:59:08 »

Another great live blues concert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP5Zn-onAk0
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 July 2018, 15:24:03 »

One word sums up Clapton, God. :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 July 2018, 15:33:49 »

Five long years (from 17 minutes) is as good as most of what he did in the 60,s. Funny that people who hadn't listened to him for a while were calling him Eric Claptout, at the time he was playing this kind of stuff in the 90,s.
My Strat looks just the like one he is playing there, but it doesn't quite sound the same.  ??? ;D
« Last Edit: 01 July 2018, 15:36:25 by Migv6 »

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 July 2018, 22:04:21 »

I would imagine it will be on BBC iPlayer.  :y
Can't get it in this little country Albs ...

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 July 2018, 10:36:37 »

Its available on DVD Don. May well be also available elsewhere on the interweb.  :y

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 July 2018, 14:06:29 »

recorded so i can watch in peace when SWMBO is at work   ;) ;)

Just finished watching this  . . .brilliant insight  & a must see for any music fan .  :y :y :y
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.