Chat Area > Omega Gallery

97 omega gl estate «winter car»

(1/3) > >>

MonzaGSE:
Thought i show off my new third omega. Got a 95 mv6 estate from earlier (Opel version of the elite), and girlfriend got a 94 omega saloon. Since both the other omegas are currently away on rust welding repairs i got this one cheap to use on Norways winter roads with tons of salt on them. To save the newly welded mv6 from more rust. Norway is a hard country for old cars:p
Anyway the car had one owner from new until i bought it now. A 87 year old man who passed away this spring. Bought the car from his daughter. Car has only done 60.000km in 21 years! Unfortunatly the previous owner never really washed or polished it so rust has taken its toll on all doors and rear arches.

Here is the car when i got it. Notice the green license plates. These are «van-plates» which where a kind of loophole in the law when the omega was new. This meant you could save maybe like 100.000,- nok(10.000gbp) by ordering your car AS a «van». This meant you could not have a back seat.

Dividing steel wall is bolted to the folded down seat back. Also a steel plate coversanger the rear seat back.
Allthough the car is a little rough around the edges its probably the closest i will ever get to a «new» omega. Its very Nice to drive with only 60.000kms on the clock. Allthoug it does seem a bit more gutless than girlfriends saloon with the same 2,0 16v engine.

MonzaGSE:
If a car with van plates is more than 10 years old you can install a rear seat and get normal white license plates without paying any taxes. Since i got a kid now, thats obviously what i did next.

Heres at the norwegian dmv with new white plates and a back seat.
Next i got rid of those horrible seat covers, cleaned up the interior a lot, and got electric Windows for the front doors together with the door cards and centre console from a car at a local breakers yard. Interior cleaned up nicely, and car looks almost like new inside. Driver seat is basically the only seat that was ever used. Electric sunroof was never opened until i bought the car now.

MonzaGSE:
Next i washed the car and polished it for the first time ever i think. Wasnt great result, but much better than it was.

Also the tid screen in this car was completely gone. About 5-10 pixels still working. Didnt want to fit a new questionable tid, so got an used grey plug mid from german ebay. Also got lamp check module and brake warning sensors. (Brakes needed freeing up and pads changed anyway). New coolant tank with sensor in the mail, and also the grommet and sensor for the washer bottle.

Going to Opel on wednesday to get the mid programmed correctly. Its from a 2,2 litre. Also it shows miles and gallons which surprised me AS its from germany. I assume Opel with their tech 2 should also be able to program it to litres and kilometers? Anybody know?

BazaJT:
It seems[to me at least] that the pre-facelift and mid-facelift cars suffered more with door rot than did the full facelift cars.Rear arch rust is of course common to them all.Still looks a pretty decent example for its age though :y

MonzaGSE:
Thanks. Thats my impression to with the doors. Dont think you can find a rustfree pfl door in all of Norway for sale:p both the mv6 and the saloon has got fl doors on them. Wont spend any money on welding on this one, but its in junglegreen colour and at least over here that is one of the most common colours. So if i find some good fl doors cheaply i may swap them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version