Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Mother Theresa Takes Control  (Read 14224 times)

STEMO

Re: Mother Theresa Takes Control
« Reply #105 on: 31 July 2018, 16:37:08 »

Why would we need a second referendum? TM and cronies are perfectly capable of selling us out without one.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 31 July 2018, 16:39:26 »

I, personally, don't believe there will be a second referendum.  :)

A second referendum on what........ exactly?

F*ucked if I know. :-\

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 31 July 2018, 16:44:00 »

Because, as I keep saying, Parliament is Sovereign.

Except that it isn't, as it's subservient to the EU.  ::)

The people voted to restore parliamentary sovereignty, but it doesn't appear to want it!   :P

No, it's not. Parliament is Sovereign. Parliament is free to decide what it wants. It can declare the moon is made of cheese, and then legally for the UK the moon IS made of cheese.

But, if you want to play (football) with other equally sovereign countries, then you have to abide by the rules (of football). The FA could repeal any of the laws of football it wants, but it can't play internationally then. Similarly Parliament can refuse to adopt any EU rule it likes within the UK, but you then won't be able to play with the rest of the EU.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 31 July 2018, 16:51:53 »

The people voted to restore parliamentary sovereignty, but it doesn't appear to want it!   :P

No, it's not. Parliament is Sovereign. Parliament is free to decide what it wants. It can declare the moon is made of cheese, and then legally for the UK the moon IS made of cheese.

But, if you want to play (football) with other equally sovereign countries, then you have to abide by the rules (of football). The FA could repeal any of the laws of football it wants, but it can't play internationally then. Similarly Parliament can refuse to adopt any EU rule it likes within the UK, but you then won't be able to play with the rest of the EU.

They say jump.......we ask how high. :)

STEMO

« Reply #109 on: 31 July 2018, 16:55:41 »

Bit of wartime austerity.....powdered egg...keep right on till the end of the road. It saw us through against the bastards last time.  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 31 July 2018, 16:58:23 »

Bit of wartime austerity.....powdered egg...keep right on till the end of the road. It saw us through against the bastards last time.  ;D

Still popular in Barnsley , I imagine. :)

I hear that the indoor crapper will be heading North soon. You can't stop progress. :)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 31 July 2018, 17:00:53 »

Nor do I. It is wishful thinking from the remainers, and as we all know, standard practice from the EU when they get a result they don't like.
It isn't the EU,S decision to make this time though.
I also don't believe the MSM propaganda about buyers remorse on Brexit. I havent met anyone who regrets voting leave, but I have met a lot of people who wanted to, but were scared off by Cameron and Osbornes predictions of immediate doom if the result was to leave.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 31 July 2018, 17:03:06 »

Nor do I. It is wishful thinking from the remainers, and as we all know, standard practice from the EU when they get a result they don't like.
It isn't the EU,S decision to make this time though.
I also don't believe the MSM propaganda about buyers remorse on Brexit. I havent met anyone who regrets voting leave, but I have met a lot of people who wanted to, but were scared off by Cameron and Osbornes predictions of immediate doom if the result was to leave.

Not from me.

At the moment we are leaving the EU ( if you can call it leaving) like a whipped dog with it's tail between it's legs. This needs to change.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2018, 17:05:16 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 31 July 2018, 17:57:40 »

Jacob for PM then.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 31 July 2018, 19:00:08 »

Jacob for PM then.  :y

A man of the people........the most wealthy 1% anyway. :)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 31 July 2018, 19:05:54 »

The reason the EU is making things awkward for us is threefold:

1. Dictatorships like building bigger & bigger empires as it gives them more power and riches to indulge themselves on. If we make a success of Brexit with much higher economic growth (not difficult with their poor record),then other countries will start asking the question, why shouldn't we.

2. We can trade very happily on WTO terms like most of the rest of the world including with the EU. When there are a range of rules (rarer and rarer these days as there are several standards organisations which create standards which are universally adopted including by the EU). However, there are some problematic areas where we have transferred our standards sovereignty to the EU and signed up to their gold plated versions. A transition period of up to two years should resolve this so we can rejoin the standards bodies and get other alternative arrangements in place.

3. Under WTO rules they are not allowed to discriminate against us but we all know what EU commission & French bloody mindness can do while we take them to WTO arbitration, where the WTO can fine them.

Finally this food shortage tosh is exactly that. Anybody that gets a calculator out can see that. Global population in 2018 is 7,600m. UK population is 65m less than 1%. We produce about 40% of our own food, plus on top of this much of our food comes from the rest of the world like winter fruit from the southern hemisphere as there seasons are the opposite of ours. If the EU banned all food to the UK we would increase world demand by less than 0.5%. UK food buyers are used to dealing globally with suppliers and also commodity markets which for many staple basics like wheat, rice, sugar, vegetable oils are priced in USD with the US controlling the commodity traders.

If the EU want a trade war our €50bn trade deficit will disappear very quickly plus much more. The French, Germans, Spanish, Dutch and Danish farmers will not like the drop in income from losing our food market at the same time as EU budgets are squeezed from losing our contribution. Do you really want to ruled by a dictatorship that is making these kinds of threats against us?

This EU food trade situation is exactly what has happened in the US with Trump pulling out of TIPP and now with retalitarity sanctions on US food. The US government are subsidizing US farmers to make up there shortfall. Trump pulling out of TIPP has increased Australasian mutual trading where they are buying from each other lower tariff cheaper substituted US products. It has also been good for the UK meat trade where our meat is seen as premium produce with sales going up in countries like Japan.

All this daily Remoaner project fear, fake news, propaganda is getting increasingly boring where I just take it for the total bullsh*t it is.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 31 July 2018, 19:24:33 »

The reason the EU is making things awkward for us is threefold:

1. Dictatorships like building bigger & bigger empires as it gives them more power and riches to indulge themselves on. If we make a success of Brexit with much higher economic growth (not difficult with their poor record),then other countries will start asking the question, why shouldn't we.

2. We can trade very happily on WTO terms like most of the rest of the world including with the EU. When there are a range of rules (rarer and rarer these days as there are several standards organisations which create standards which are universally adopted including by the EU). However, there are some problematic areas where we have transferred our standards sovereignty to the EU and signed up to their gold plated versions. A transition period of up to two years should resolve this so we can rejoin the standards bodies and get other alternative arrangements in place.

3. Under WTO rules they are not allowed to discriminate against us but we all know what EU commission & French bloody mindness can do while we take them to WTO arbitration, where the WTO can fine them.

Finally this food shortage tosh is exactly that. Anybody that gets a calculator out can see that. Global population in 2018 is 7,600m. UK population is 65m less than 1%. We produce about 40% of our own food, plus on top of this much of our food comes from the rest of the world like winter fruit from the southern hemisphere as there seasons are the opposite of ours. If the EU banned all food to the UK we would increase world demand by less than 0.5%. UK food buyers are used to dealing globally with suppliers and also commodity markets which for many staple basics like wheat, rice, sugar, vegetable oils are priced in USD with the US controlling the commodity traders.

If the EU want a trade war our €50bn trade deficit will disappear very quickly plus much more. The French, Germans, Spanish, Dutch and Danish farmers will not like the drop in income from losing our food market at the same time as EU budgets are squeezed from losing our contribution. Do you really want to ruled by a dictatorship that is making these kinds of threats against us?

This EU food trade situation is exactly what has happened in the US with Trump pulling out of TIPP and now with retalitarity sanctions on US food. The US government are subsidizing US farmers to make up there shortfall. Trump pulling out of TIPP has increased Australasian mutual trading where they are buying from each other lower tariff cheaper substituted US products. It has also been good for the UK meat trade where our meat is seen as premium produce with sales going up in countries like Japan.

All this daily Remoaner project fear, fake news, propaganda is getting increasingly boring where I just take it for the total bullsh*t it is.

..........and breathe. :)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 31 July 2018, 19:53:24 »

The reason the EU is making things awkward for us is threefold: . . . . .

So . . . . . when are you seeing Mrs May to put her right ?  ( I wish  ::) )

There really is soooo much b****x around. I'm about to stick my head in the sand

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 01 August 2018, 07:44:21 »

No, it's not. Parliament is Sovereign. Parliament is free to decide what it wants.

Technically yes you are right Malcolm and the fact that Parliament has the ability to repeal the European Communities Act proves this.  :y

However Parliament has decided to cede much of it's sovereignty to the EU and the European Court of Human Rights via the Human Rights Act 1998.  One fact that came out during the referendum campaign was that 60% of Parliaments business is enacting EU laws, rules, and regulations onto the statute book. 

They could refuse as you say, but that would probably cause a constitutional crisis. One of the many reasons that people voted leave was a deep seated unease across the country that Parliament is not really in control of the country.  ;)

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 01 August 2018, 10:46:16 »

They could refuse as you say, but that would probably cause a constitutional crisis. One of the many reasons that people voted leave was a deep seated unease across the country that Parliament is not really in control of the country.  ;)

It wouldn't cause any constitutional crisis, because Parliament is sovereign and is free to do anything it likes. Always, no exceptions. It might result in us getting thrown out of the EU, or any other treaties we have voluntarily entered into, if parliament does something that breaches the rules of those treaties.

The will of parliament always overrides what anyone else, including the EU, want - within the jurisdiction of the UK. But when dealing with other sovereign entities you either obey the agreed rules,  leave the treaty, or send the gunboats in. Cherry picking the bits of the treaty you like and discarding the bits you don't like is unlikely to be acceptable to the other parties to the treaty.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.