Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Boiler being replaced.  (Read 8311 times)

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
Re: Boiler being replaced.
« Reply #30 on: 09 August 2018, 19:33:40 »

I can't say what parts are needed, fault codes are just an indication, the actual failed part could be many things, possibly flue fan.
some plumbers are lazy and are not prepared to diagnose a fault, some don't have a clue how to diagnose.a fault and just replace parts willy-nilly, or the whole boiler
combi boilers have many electrical safety systems, making them very safe. but complex. more of a job for an electrical engineer or fully trained technician.

A good plumber/technician  would probably have diagnosed the fault ordered the part, a second visit to fit and test, probably £300
a new boiler is like buying a new car, some can be had with flue kit for around 500 .others would be treble that.

fitting (including commissioning, testing, certification, flushing, etc etc )maybe 500 quid
but in areas like London, with parking, congestion charge etc, prices vastly increase
[/quote]Dave found one on plumb base £505 +£45 flue kit,is fitting etc etc really £500 :o.How much do plumbers charge per hour.Dean.
[/quote

Why are you pricing this up ?    Thought your landlord was getting it done for you and paying for it   :-\
« Last Edit: 09 August 2018, 19:37:27 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • vauxhall omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 August 2018, 19:38:00 »

I can't say what parts are needed, fault codes are just an indication, the actual failed part could be many things, possibly flue fan.
some plumbers are lazy and are not prepared to diagnose a fault, some don't have a clue how to diagnose.a fault and just replace parts willy-nilly, or the whole boiler
combi boilers have many electrical safety systems, making them very safe. but complex. more of a job for an electrical engineer or fully trained technician.

A good plumber/technician  would probably have diagnosed the fault ordered the part, a second visit to fit and test, probably £300
a new boiler is like buying a new car, some can be had with flue kit for around 500 .others would be treble that.

fitting (including commissioning, testing, certification, flushing, etc etc )maybe 500 quid
but in areas like London, with parking, congestion charge etc, prices vastly increase
[/quote]Dave found one on plumb base £505 +£45 flue kit,is fitting etc etc really £500 :o.How much do plumbers charge per hour.Dean.
[/quote

Why are you pricing this up ?
See my post above mate,i am an honest guy and would never rip anyone off.Dean.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 August 2018, 19:40:29 »

]Dave found one on plumb base £505 +£45 flue kit,is fitting etc etc really £500 :o.How much do plumbers charge per hour.Dean.
how long is a piece of string x 100 + sundries +vat  :P

I prefer my beer cold DG   :D

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 August 2018, 19:54:40 »

Ok  Dean ,   so your landlord is your mate  & you don't want to see him ripped off  :y  fair play to you

But quality boilers are expensive  . . .just Google  Bosch/Worcester boiler price  . . .

and you'll see  . . . a new £500 boiler will work  of course  . . .but for how long ?
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 August 2018, 19:58:43 »

From what I've been told in the past, BIASI boilers are cheap to buy, but the parts are very expensive which may be why your landlord has decided to replace rather than fix.  ;)

B&Q own brand I think maybe?  ???  :-\
sold in many places, crap compared to Bosch, Worcester bosch, Vaillant of the era
I'm not impressed with any of the new offerings

parts wise , I have used a company for many years called the heat exchange which are great ,should you ever need boiler parts  :y

they list all the parts for that boiler at reasonable prices

https://www.theheatxchange.co.uk/appliance/biasi/riva-compact-he-m96-24sm-c2/1665

but it sounds like the PMC and plumber needed their holiday funds topped up  ;D
Dave,just out of curiosity.What parts would you need to fix it and how much,compared to buying a new one.When the plumber called to have a look at it,the wife recalls he said about £1100 for a new one Dean.
The cost of parts/new boiler are irrelevant...

BECAUSE YOU AREN'T PAYING FOR IT.

Do yourselves a favour, pop the kettle on, have a nice cuppa and do something positive.
This posted before I had finished ???

Ultimately, the landlord accepts the cost as the price of being a landlord. That he has someone straight on the case would suggest a strong relationship with a decent plumber... He probably has a builder and sparky on speed dial too. Good working relationships are two way, so he is probably paying fair for the services he gets.

If you are concerned about his financial wellbeing then pay more rent. Seriously let them get it done and stop fretting.

Meanwhile, and I say this knowing that you have had your struggles, but make no apologies for being direct... You really need to start taking a more positive look on life... Instead of constantly asking 'Why me?', try 'Why not me? What am I going to do about it?'

This... should help give you a positive charge ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #35 on: 09 August 2018, 20:03:57 »

Ok  Dean ,   so your landlord is your mate  & you don't want to see him ripped off  :y  fair play to you

But quality boilers are expensive  . . .just Google  Bosch/Worcester boiler price  . . .

and you'll see  . . . a new £500 boiler will work  of course  . . .but for how long ?
Just checked ours online and was surprised that a new one would only cost £1100. The reason I am surprised is because these fickers from BOXT quote nearly three grand to supply and fit.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09 August 2018, 20:18:10 »

Just checked ours online and was surprised that a new one would only cost £1100. The reason I am surprised is because these fickers from BOXT quote nearly three grand to supply and fit.
But the "gas safe" training course you'd need to go on, to fit it would cost time and money
owning a corgi is no longer acceptable, even the queen has to get the professionals in now  ;D

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09 August 2018, 22:21:03 »

Our boiler packed up here last Thursday - pissing about a gallon of water out per 12 hours, via the electronic control board. We first noticed there was a fault when the Earth leakage CB kept tripping and wouldn't reset. I worked out which circuit was tripping the ELCB and disabled it. Then I stuck a bucket under the boiler to catch the leaking water and called the boiler service bloke. He came round Monday lunchtime. Apparantly it's FUBAR - condenser leaking water and because the circuit board in on the bottom, it 'floods' and shorts the mains out hence the CB tripping.

Its a BAXI 3 summut or other - about 17 years old. Estimate for repair is £750-£1000. Estimate to replace is £2700 like for like, or £3000 for a 'system' boiler whatever that is.

STEMO

« Reply #38 on: 10 August 2018, 10:13:05 »

Our boiler packed up here last Thursday - pissing about a gallon of water out per 12 hours, via the electronic control board. We first noticed there was a fault when the Earth leakage CB kept tripping and wouldn't reset. I worked out which circuit was tripping the ELCB and disabled it. Then I stuck a bucket under the boiler to catch the leaking water and called the boiler service bloke. He came round Monday lunchtime. Apparantly it's FUBAR - condenser leaking water and because the circuit board in on the bottom, it 'floods' and shorts the mains out hence the CB tripping.

Its a BAXI 3 summut or other - about 17 years old. Estimate for repair is £750-£1000. Estimate to replace is £2700 like for like, or £3000 for a 'system' boiler whatever that is.
I believe a 'system' boiler is another name for a Combi?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 10 August 2018, 14:09:59 »

I thought a system boiler is a non-combi that contains the circulating pump and pressure vessel.
Not that much use if your system already has the above elsewhere.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 August 2018, 14:38:19 »

Since this heat wave started what 2 months ago now? I've not fired up my boiler once for hot water, the thermal panels have done well.

Glad it's all new though, had it serviced and it was all good.

I'm looking at houses with some really old systems, bit scary that I need to budget near £3k for replacements.  :(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10 August 2018, 15:48:37 »

That's the mistake everyone makes..

Oh, look! Old boiler! Must replace it. In doing so, you replace a non condensing model that'll last 30-40 years with basic maintenance, with a condensing one that will be lucky to see 10 years.

The boiler manufacturers must have been laughing when the government played straight into their hands and mandated condensing boilers as it immediately builds in obsolescence into their product. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #42 on: 10 August 2018, 15:56:50 »

I thought a system boiler is a non-combi that contains the circulating pump and pressure vessel.
You could be right, Kevin, hence the question mark after my post.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10 August 2018, 16:39:07 »

You could be right, Kevin, hence the question mark after my post.

Kevin is right - I think. We do have a header tank in the loft, but last winter for some reason the water in it was getting very (very!) hot. There is no lid on the tank, so it steams. Steam into a cold (in winter) loft results in condensation, which if left will probably cause damp. So something needs doing, just not sure what ATM.

It's a 1960's house, originally with a back boiler (behind the fireplace) and electric immersion heater. Gas central heating was added in the late 60's and the original boiler soldered on till about 2001. The header tank in the loft definately didn't get hot with that. That old boiler finally packed up and was replaced by the Baxi which we still have. Initially I don't remember the tank 'steaming' and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed - there is a lot of junk in the loft including the Christmas decorations which come down and go up once a year.

We had a small extension built about 3 years ago, and the Baxi was moved to accommodate the new kitchen layout. Then last winter I noticed the 'steaming' in the loft. Now the Baxi has packed up, but at least we still have the (50 year old!) immersion heater for hot water, and no urgent need to get the central heating working - at least for a month or two.

I like the sound of the System heater - it's not a combi so does heat a tank full of hot (tap) water, and doesn't require a header tank so that solves the 'steaming' loft issue at the same time. We have had multiple CH pumps pack u over the years due to the very hard water here, so having the pump integrated into the boiler is a bit of a concern.

I only posted my woes to try and put some context into the prices being touted to moggy though.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10 August 2018, 16:48:46 »

That's the mistake everyone makes..

Oh, look! Old boiler! Must replace it. In doing so, you replace a non condensing model that'll last 30-40 years with basic maintenance, with a condensing one that will be lucky to see 10 years.

The boiler manufacturers must have been laughing when the government played straight into their hands and mandated condensing boilers as it immediately builds in obsolescence into their product. ;D

Well I'd "budget" for one, so had something spare if needed. I'm quite happy to wait for it to go bang  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.