Chat Area > General Discussion Area

Ancestry

(1/4) > >>

Rods2:
Lord Opti & STEMO can rest easy, not OOF ones, but past relatives. :P

I never met either of my grandads as one died at 59 from a hemorrhaged aneurysm but I've learn't a fair amount about him including finding his WWI military record.

My other grandad was a Petty Officer in the RN, fought in the Battle of Jutland and suffered from PTSD which got progressively worse along with his violence in the 1920s. He volunteered to go in a mental hospital where he spent the rest of his life where like so many in that era it was a case of out of sight and forgotten. Many RN records were destroyed in the Blitz and so I know nothing about his military record, as it was blank result when I searched, until today. I was discussing on Twitter PTSD with some veterans, when somebody associated with a Battle of Jutland Crew Association asked for his name & has come back with a record and detail which certainly looks a likely fit from the details which I will now check and try to verify. If it is then he served on the light cruiser HMS Caroline during the Battle of Jutland and it is the only surviving ship from the battle and now a floating museum in Belfast. If it all adds up then I will have to pay a visit to the ship and walk on the decks and what must have been a familiar work & living place for him. :y :y :y

Varche:
Good for you finding out family history.

I am appalled at the big holes in our family history. Plenty of photos with no names or dates on.

Mrs V’s uncle passed away recently. He was a veteran of the fierce w2 fighting on the Western Fronts. Irish guards tank division. We talked to him at length about his experiences. He must have had PTSD and villagers shunned him for being odd. Her other uncle had an easy war repairing locos behind the front.

My dad said only recently  one of my uncles had Pstd and he was sent to Norway after the war to pick bilberries to get over it.

My dad has his dad’s pip , squeak and wilfred medals , which he proudly wears each armed forces day. Cant be many in he country still doing that. When he dies , I hope one of his grandchildren takes all his  medals on board rather than selling them.

The relevant military museums are a great source of info and a sobering day out

ronnyd:

--- Quote from: Varche on 15 August 2018, 22:52:26 ---Good for you finding out family history.

I am appalled at the big holes in our family history. Plenty of photos with no names or dates on.

Mrs V’s uncle passed away recently. He was a veteran of the fierce w2 fighting on the Western Fronts. Irish guards tank division. We talked to him at length about his experiences. He must have had PTSD and villagers shunned him for being odd. Her other uncle had an easy war repairing locos behind the front.

My dad said only recently  one of my uncles had Pstd and he was sent to Norway after the war to pick bilberries to get over it.

My dad has his dad’s pip , squeak and wilfred medals , which he proudly wears each armed forces day. Cant be many in he country still doing that. When he dies , I hope one of his grandchildren takes all his  medals on board rather than selling them.

The relevant military museums are a great source of info and a sobering day out

--- End quote ---
Mum, brother and me decided to have Dad buried wearing his medals.

Rods2:
I've got my grandad's wilfred medal.

Varche:

--- Quote from: Rods2 on 15 August 2018, 23:45:42 ---I've got my grandad's wilfred medal.

--- End quote ---

I know it is a long time away but what are you planning to do with it on your demise? 

My plan is to suss out the grandchildren and pass stuff on with the understanding that they are to do the same. the only thing my grandmother brought with her when she fled Canada with my 2 year old Mum was a very ordinary cheap shaker clock churned out in their hundreds of thousands. You can buy them on Ebay for £50. These and photos and war memorabilia I would like to "pass on". Not sure how photos would fare in a post hard copy era (i.e. mobile phone)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version