Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will this be 1st privately funded railway since the Chunnel?  (Read 1871 times)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile

The government has been promoting private investment to speed up possible rail improvements. The first to be approved maybe a Windsor to Windsor link that looks like a GWR, Waterloo line connection. This would then be extended for the been proposed forever West loop into Heathrow. The snails pace progress for this shows the taking forever progress on National Rail for improvements to the rail infrastructure. :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-6074359/Windsor-track-linked-Britains-privately-funded-railway.html

The fact that you currently have to go into London and return to Heathrow has been a major bone of contention since the 1960s onwards. Will it be built in my lifetime, I won't be holding my breath. :(

US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Will this be 1st privately funded railway since the Chunnel?
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2018, 19:36:53 »

The government has been promoting private investment to speed up possible rail improvements. The first to be approved maybe a Windsor to Windsor link that looks like a GWR, Waterloo line connection. This would then be extended for the been proposed forever West loop into Heathrow. The snails pace progress for this shows the taking forever progress on National Rail for improvements to the rail infrastructure. :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/news/article-6074359/Windsor-track-linked-Britains-privately-funded-railway.html

The fact that you currently have to go into London and return to Heathrow has been a major bone of contention since the 1960s onwards. Will it be built in my lifetime, I won't be holding my breath. :(

Doubt it. Could take 10 years. ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2018, 21:24:31 »

Old news, that was being discussed before I moved to Camberley.

Can't see it every happening, too many protests from not in my back yard types

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2018, 21:27:23 »

Might sneak it through planning the week that ground is broken in the third runway ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 August 2018, 23:34:35 »

This is the glacial pace of progress since 2015, with an application for planning consent expected in 2019. :-[

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/our-railway-upgrade-plan/key-projects/heathrow-rail-link/

Of course the proposed 3rd runway complicates things and may cause further delays with route changes as iirc it doesn't work very well with the proposed 3rd runway public transport links! :-[
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 August 2018, 00:42:21 »

Slight drift....  :P  but have they started building HS2 yet or are they still talking about it?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2018, 06:41:43 »

Have they got to get another contractor in for HS2 as Carillion had won it IIRC

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 August 2018, 13:14:51 »

Can't ever happen without a massive injection of public funds, and ongoing subsidies. Its not feasible otherwise..

Therefore, its more likely that a wholly owned PLC formed from small departments within Network Rail, like HS2 Ltd, is more likely.  So will then be a civil service balls-up.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 August 2018, 16:20:07 »

Slight drift....  :P  but have they started building HS2 yet or are they still talking about it?  :-\

Have a read of the pdf link in this:

https://www.hs2.org.uk/documents/hs2-realising-the-potential/

This report dated 19th July 2018 makes for some very interesting reading ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 August 2018, 20:23:34 »

Have a read of the pdf link in this:

https://www.hs2.org.uk/documents/hs2-realising-the-potential/

This report dated 19th July 2018 makes for some very interesting reading ;)
I'm not even going to begin to read that, as its produced by HS2 Ltd.  Therefore I can already guess the contents, without reading. If its an update to (lack of) progress, it will be full of feeble excuses for why they've oppsed up, and its not their fault, and it will bring gazillions of pounds benefit, despite being a line that goes from nowhere to nowhere.  But so much unexpected delays will mean they need more money to piss down the pan (our money).

Nowhere in it will be an admission its their mismanagement and incompetence is the reasons that they've oppsed up, delayed it, costing us more money (our money).

Sadly, I've been to too many HS2 meetings, and when their own headline bullet points completely contradict themselves, you know their incompetence (but then they are/were civil servants), corrupt and lining their own nest, or plain old fashioned bullshit. Or all 3, which is my gut feeling.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 August 2018, 22:51:44 »

A quarter of the people working on the HS2 project earn over £100,000 p.a. Its the perfect and almost literal example of a gravy train.  ::)
All it will do is make life a little easier for people who live in the midlands and want to work in London. No-one is going to live in London and work in Birmingham. There is no possible reason to do that.
We will only know long after its finished how much the actual cost is, but the many many billions spent on it could be used for so many other sensible things in the national interest.
I just hope we soon get a Govt. with the balls to cancel it before its too late. I wont hold my breath though.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 August 2018, 23:15:22 »

A line that make marginal time savings over the current underutilized lines north. A total waste of money. Now if they had built it as 5-600mph hyperloop to compete with aircraft then that would make sense, but Victorian thinking politicians that can't run a bath let alone any sort of project means it would just be a non-working money pit. :(

#Brexit has exposed the limits and total incompetitance of office junior May and her typing pool party. :( Office Junior May sets herself the very lowest possible public life standards and continuously fails to meet them. >:( >:( >:(

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 August 2018, 23:26:47 »

Although Ive never voted Tory in my life, Im considering joining the party just so I can vote against her when the leadership challenge materialises.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 August 2018, 23:39:44 »

Although Ive never voted Tory in my life, Im considering joining the party just so I can vote against her when the leadership challenge materialises.  :)

Unlike the Labour party, the Tory MP's vote first to whittle the contenders down to the last two, and then the membership have the final vote.  You can bet your bottom dollar that the last two standing in any forthcoming Tory leadership contest will be a pair of 'wets' and Boris or JRM won't get anywhere.  ::)

Who would you vote for Albs?  ???  Amber Rudd or Jeremy Hunt?  ;D
« Last Edit: 20 August 2018, 23:42:34 by Sir Tigger QC »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 August 2018, 23:51:49 »

I've done the same, I got as far as their joining form and I just couldn't bring myself to joining her shower of sh... I mean typing pool party, but I really feel I ought to along and giving her and our arch Remainer MP Dr Phillip Lee a hard time, where he resigned as a junior minister to more effectively fight Brexit. >:( >:( >:(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 18 queries.