Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: One of 2 Oil leaks stopped at last  (Read 3121 times)

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
One of 2 Oil leaks stopped at last
« on: 02 September 2018, 09:41:53 »

Since doing the cam covers a while ago ( using the Victor Meinz gaskets supplied by All /german Parts) the 2.6 has been almost oil tight  :P :P

Only 2 very slight niggly leaks left .  :( :(   But have now found one of them .  After a 100 ish miles use there was always a little bit of engine oil in the groove  on the outer edge of the TOP of the N/S cam cover .Oil filler side.
Seems oil was slightly leaking from the O ring at the base of the filler spout where it rotates & locks  into postion on the cam cover . from there it would find its way to the top outer edge  of the cam cover .

Have recently removed & cleaned spout & O ring & replaced using a smear of black cam cover goo around the O ring.  Checked today after about 100 miles  . . .Leak stopped .. .  gone  . . .banished   :y :y

The other small leak I cannot locate  . .  same again after about 100 miles there is a small amount of oil laying on the top of the sump at the front of the engine below the crankshaft pulley , where the sump bolts thread up into the alloy casing .

Pretty sure it is not front crankseal as there is no streaking of oil as would usually occur if being spun off by the rotating crank.   Just cannot see where this could be coming from  :-\ :-\

Any suggestions  . . . .it is not a problem as it is only a small amount, once wiped off it will not need wiping again for 100 miles use . strange one  :-\ :-\ :-\
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: One of 2 Oil leaks stopped at last
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2018, 10:07:37 »

Mr. Blue, did you not give yourself a clue with " where the sump bolts thread up into the alloy casing "? Could the gasket be leaking at that point due maybe to over-tightening?
Of course, I could be talking through it instead of sitting on it! :-\

Ron.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2018, 10:22:54 »

Oil pressure sensor would be my first port of call.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2018, 10:24:01 »

Most if not all Omegas leak oil be it a small amount or loads.

Think is wiser just ignoring it tbh as you can spend your life chasing 1 leak or another.My Elite and 1 before always seemed to have a small amount laying on the large front sump lip below the alternator and like you have sealed every possible gasket/O ring and it still leaks.

Part of GM,s rust protection in built system  ;D

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2018, 11:32:00 »

Mr. Blue, did you not give yourself a clue with " where the sump bolts thread up into the alloy casing "? Could the gasket be leaking at that point due maybe to over-tightening?
Of course, I could be talking through it instead of sitting on it! :-\

Ron.

Yes that is a possibility Ron . . . after about 50 miles  there is oil on about 3 of the sump bolt ends where they appear once in place & no where else  :-\ :-\   will look closer at that one  :y :y
« Last Edit: 02 September 2018, 11:45:28 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2018, 11:33:35 »

Oil pressure sensor would be my first port of call.  :y

Dry as a Nuns fa*ny  that one Albs   ;D ;D  already checked so not that  :-\

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2018, 11:39:06 »

Most if not all Omegas leak oil be it a small amount or loads.

Think is wiser just ignoring it tbh as you can spend your life chasing 1 leak or another.My Elite and 1 before always seemed to have a small amount laying on the large front sump lip below the alternator and like you have sealed every possible gasket/O ring and it still leaks.

Part of GM,s rust protection in built system  ;D

Yes thats where it is Andrew  . . .bloody annoying       MOT man yesterday said very slight weep from power steering pump   but that is Dex II  & red . . .this is 100% def engine oil

May be try the sump bolts at front  . . release 1 at time a few turns , then smear with black sealant goo & re torque . . . or best just left alone  . . .what do you think ?   :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: 02 September 2018, 11:41:11 by Alnico Blue »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2018, 12:05:29 »

I would remove the sump. Clean the oil strainer while its off. Then refit the sump with suitable goo and carefully torque all the bolts up.
If that doesn't cure it - live with it or burn it.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2018, 13:49:32 »

I think for the effort involved removing the sump and the possibility that you will be disturbing things that may already be well sealed up :(...leave it alone.

Just give it a wipe /spray with aerosol degreaser every few weeks and live with it.I tend to think that a few drips of oil is all part and past of an Omega and don't think they will ever be 100% oil tight given even the youngest is now 15 years old and probably showing circa 150k miles .

I used to get quite paranoid by the oil showing after being cleaned off a while ago...now I just accept its the way thing are :y

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2018, 16:18:20 »

:) :). . .come with a cunning plan  . . . .  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Gonna fold  some of swmbo's nice"Plenty " kitchen roll and place it then try & clip it onto the top of the alloy sump casting where the sump bolts come through.

Theory is that it will act like blotting paper & should show where the oil is actually appearing along that top of sump casting below the crankshaft pulley.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Will post up if & when I get an outcome   :P :P :P

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2018, 17:10:14 »

" Plenty " sounds like a plan :y ;D :y

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 September 2018, 09:28:50 »

:) :). . .come with a cunning plan  . . . .  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Gonna fold  some of swmbo's nice"Plenty " kitchen roll and place it then try & clip it onto the top of the alloy sump casting where the sump bolts come through.

Theory is that it will act like blotting paper & should show where the oil is actually appearing along that top of sump casting below the crankshaft pulley.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Will post up if & when I get an outcome   :P :P :P

SUCCESS !    Love it when a plan comes together .  The second leak was  in fact coming from the TOP of the sump bolts . It seems oil was oozing out of 3 of the bolts from what seems like the bolt threads where they screw into the alloy casing flange ( directly below the pulley). :o
The "blotting paper" test showed oil only at 3 spots directly where the 3 of the sump bolts came through the alloy casing.

So I carefully undone all of the front one ONE at a time , forced  a little black cam cover sealant into the alloy casing thread, re torqued the bolt & wiped excess sealant away. then moved on to the next one . I did this on all of the front sump bolts, about 8 as remember. 

I have now done 300 miles & area is now oil free & leak has stopped   :y :y :y

Seems the oil must have been forcing its way through the thread of the sump bolts  . . . the only feasable explanation IMO.

But all oil free & dry now  . . .happy days   ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 30 September 2018, 09:35:33 by Alnico Blue »

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 September 2018, 10:04:34 »

Well done that man ,and great when you manage to trace and cure an issue .

Mine has a similar oil leak and has done so now for past year or more.Last belt change showed no evidence of from crank seal and oil pressure sensor also seems to be dry .

Fresh clean oil always seems to appear in a small puddle on the front lip of the sump below alternator and run forward to settle at the front of the sump top. When I clean it off it will reappear after a couple of days and so the cycle has continued.

Might give the "plenty" trick a trick then Al ,although think it is more than would seep through a couple of bolts ,but you never know :y

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 September 2018, 12:16:33 »

Well done that man ,and great when you manage to trace and cure an issue .

Mine has a similar oil leak and has done so now for past year or more.Last belt change showed no evidence of from crank seal and oil pressure sensor also seems to be dry .

Fresh clean oil always seems to appear in a small puddle on the front lip of the sump below alternator and run forward to settle at the front of the sump top. When I clean it off it will reappear after a couple of days and so the cycle has continued.

Might give the "plenty" trick a trick then Al ,although think it is more than would seep through a couple of bolts ,but you never know :y

Yes Andrew I was sceptical as well ,  but ,  what it did was get 2 joined sheets of kitchen roll, then repeatedly folded it 30mm ish at a time until I ended up with a long length but only 35mm wide but of several sheets thickness.  I then clipped this right across the front of the sump below the aux crankshaft pully, so on top of the sump on the alloy casing . I used 3 crocodile clips .
  This was left in place for 100 miles or so & results were pretty conclusive as oil was only "blotting" onto the paper towel exactly where it was sitting on 3 of the said sump bolt/threads . The others were all clear of oil & no other oil was to be seen laying  on the alloy casing  :y :y :) :)

So after doing as described in above post with the cam cover goo all is now good.  I did leave it for several hours to cure before running the engine .

If you are going to try it  . . i did not remove each sump bolt from under the sump , only released about 6 turns on each one  and of course ONLY one at a time  . . .sure you know that  ;)
« Last Edit: 30 September 2018, 12:20:42 by Alnico Blue »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 September 2018, 14:02:13 »

Officially, the sump needs two beads of sealant, one inside and one outside the bolt line :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 September 2018, 14:08:44 »

Cheers Al

Will give it a try then as couple of bits of kitchen roll cheaper than gunk and less smelly
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.