Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sat Nav Choice  (Read 6685 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Sat Nav Choice
« Reply #15 on: 05 September 2018, 16:04:55 »

My suggestion has both Android and Crapple Car Play. Nav option is plug and play with updatable maps on an SD card ;)

TomTom traffic avoidance only works if you actually have a route planned and your route preferences give it full autonomy iirc...

That said last one I had was a Go 750 World... Sold with my last Insignia...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 September 2018, 16:06:47 »

I always used to say that Garmin made decent hardware let down by terrible software. Then I bought an ETrex GPS unit and found the hardware was shite too. I find google maps is a no-brainer these days. If I don't want to be stalked the whole way I get my Tom Tom out. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 September 2018, 17:34:57 »

Carry an upto date map in the car all the time :y

Thought about the double din sat nav audio but dont use the car enough allthough I do have a radio problem (tuning in) I have put that down to the aerial. :-\

Allways have a phone or 2 on me and yes both are now 4G but ws put off witth a friends new Galaxy 8 getting us lost several times on google maps. >:(

Ultimeately I like a large screen sat nav, Garmin is 6.9" free udates 4 times a year for life on maps and safety and plenty of bells and whistles to keep me amused. 8)

Seems I have tlaked myself into the garmin lol ::)
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 September 2018, 17:44:01 »

(Ignoring Google and MS for a mo)

There are only 2 mapping providers - Teleatlas (now owned by TomTom) and Here (formally Navteq).  Both are about equal in their accuracy, and number of streets with number etc, but for a given area, one might be better than the other.

All portable units, including phones, are shite. Always have been, always will be.  Once you accept that, you can make an informed decision.  My decision was to not use them when I chucked my last portable unit out of the window along the A38.

If using a phone based nav (which is doubly shite, as not only do you have all the issues of portable units, you have a small screen to deal with, poor quality audio to deal with, and invariably shitty mounting solutions), most options are free.  So you can try Teleatlas maps (TomTom is free on iOS, and I think they might have released Android ones now), Here maps (Here app is free, although ad ridden).  The online navigation options may or may not work for you - I vaguely recall you saying you struggled with signal in your area.

Most navigation algorithms pick a route, not necessarily the best route.  Google Maps, for example, proper foooked us in Londonium last week, and we spent an hour on The Strand.  Fortunately, the weather was hot, so there were things to admire.
  So never an alternative to glancing at a map before setting out.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 September 2018, 17:46:53 »

There are only 2 mapping providers - Teleatlas (now owned by TomTom) and Here (formally Navteq).  Both are about equal in their accuracy, and number of streets with number etc, but for a given area, one might be better than the other.

All portable units, including phones, are shite. Always have been, always will be.  Once you accept that, you can make an informed decision.  My decision was to not use them when I chucked my last portable unit out of the window along the A38.

If using a phone based nav (which is doubly shite, as not only do you have all the issues of portable units, you have a small screen to deal with, poor quality audio to deal with, and invariably shitty mounting solutions), most options are free.  So you can try Teleatlas maps (TomTom is free on iOS, and I think they might have released Android ones now), Here maps (Here app is free, although ad ridden).  The online navigation options may or may not work for you - I vaguely recall you saying you struggled with signal in your area.

Most navigation algorithms pick a route, not necessarily the best route.  Google Maps, for example, proper foooked us in Londonium last week, and we spent an hour on The Strand.  Fortunately, the weather was hot, so there were things to admire.

Someone who agrees with me who is into tech as well! :o :o ;D ;D ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 September 2018, 17:48:59 »

Jaguar Satnav consists of left over parts bin oddities from Tandy in 1972.
Ignoring the current issue I have with a knackered hard drive, I've found mine to be fine.  Granted, whoever in JLR decided on the early non-capacitive touchscreens with tiny onscreen buttons needs adding to the cull list, but they soon realised the error of their ways by around 2011 (XF) and 2012 (XJ), and fitted better screens and a more useable UI.  But the actual Nav algorithms and system usage is fine.  As is/was the NCDC fitted to FL Omegas.

Dunno if you have Jaguar Voice, but I tend to use that all the time, as saves taking hands off the wheel.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 September 2018, 17:49:06 »

But that was not your question. I find google maps are great. Phone in cradle on windscreen and off you go.

No point in buying a stand alone satnav any more when Google Maps is so good.  :y

Yup or Waze.

I have a magnetic holder in vent for the car, nothing stuck on the dash, tunes/nav through phone. All good  :y

I hear good things about Waze.

Jaguar Satnav consists of left over parts bin oddities from Tandy in 1972.

I used it yesterday for home run, normal route screwed. All kinds of back routes, home in under an hour. So about same as my normal route.  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 September 2018, 17:50:49 »

Current-ish roadmap (usually) always in the car... 
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 September 2018, 17:53:18 »

Snap!!  A large scale AA book of National Maps plus another book of local maps! 8) 8) :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 September 2018, 17:55:45 »

Snap!!  A large scale AA book of National Maps plus another book of local maps! 8) 8) :y
I don't need local maps really, because most places are easy to find. We managed before satnav. Atlas just there to make mental note of towns etc.
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05 September 2018, 18:18:00 »

Mines a paper one too, only a few quid from The Works. Nice and big for my poor old eyes. ;D. Can still read no. plates though. :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 September 2018, 18:19:48 »

My current 2018 in the Jag was a massive £1.99 from Lidl/Aldi/pikeyville

Its the AA one, and is completely shite for anything really.  £1.99 is a bit steep. The cover price of £8 is taking the phish.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 September 2018, 18:28:01 »

I don't need local maps really, because most places are easy to find. We managed before satnav. Atlas just there to make mental note of towns etc.

....and that is what I tell all the 'youngsters' around me :D :y

STEMO

« Reply #28 on: 05 September 2018, 19:14:46 »

Long-winded tosh. Google maps are fine for the majority of people.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 September 2018, 19:18:49 »

....and that is what I tell all the 'youngsters' around me :D :y

We also managed before mobile phones, Lizzie, but I think most women in particular would die rather than give them up now - the snowflake generation are welded to them!

Ron.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.