Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drop in coolant level and misfire  (Read 1521 times)

helen3418

• St Austell
    • Omega 2.2
    • View Profile
Drop in coolant level and misfire
« on: 07 September 2018, 19:52:52 »

Hi we have been having problems with our 2.2 petrol omega Estate.  The coolant seems to be dropping more than usual.  We have a misfire on cylinder 4.  We can't see any water.  Our garage has put in a new coil pack made no difference.  Car does not overheat and problem is worse when engine cold.  We are not mechanically minded but fear its the head gasket.  There is nothing in the oil or water.  Having spent £400in garage already this week we are at our wits end. Thanks

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Drop in coolant level and misfire
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2018, 20:44:17 »

Hi Helen,

What tests did the garage do prior to condemning and replacing the coil pack?

Specifically, did they do a spark test, to see if all 4 outputs were firing?

Also, did they carry out a compression and / or leak down test?

Please can you describe how the £400 bill is broken down?

Sorry for all the questions, but they’re needed to help.

I repair members cars free of charge. I’m just in the middle of changing both head gaskets on a 3.2 V6 model, but when that jobs done, I could consider helping

Kind regards
James

helen3418

• St Austell
    • Omega 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2018, 21:10:50 »

Car was misfiring initially we had smoke inside engine bay which was the exhaust manifold which was cracked and we supplied the part.  That sorted that but not misfire.  They then read codes came up cylinder 4 misfire.  They swapped the spark plugs over but that made no difference suggested changing coil pack as they were second hand(previous owner) cleared codes car seemed OK but started to misfire when started from cold later and light on again.  Hope this makes sense.

helen3418

• St Austell
    • Omega 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2018, 09:34:02 »

Hi James

Firstly Sorry for not thanking you for your offer of help.  This morning it seems the level in the coolant tank has dropped nearly a pint and we have steam coming from exhaust now.  We can't do much for a minute so we have borrowed another car for a couple of days.  Thank you for your offer of help but we are in Cornwall so it would be a bit far to come

Thanks Helen

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2018, 09:40:39 »

Hi James

Firstly Sorry for not thanking you for your offer of help.  This morning it seems the level in the coolant tank has dropped nearly a pint and we have steam coming from exhaust now.  We can't do much for a minute so we have borrowed another car for a couple of days.  Thank you for your offer of help but we are in Cornwall so it would be a bit far to come

Thanks Helen

Almost certainly a head gasket I’m afraid

I’d gladly help but do need to finish the v6 I’m repairing first I’m afraid

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 September 2018, 04:49:24 »

take the spark plugs out and have a look at the pistons, if yo have been running engine for awhile with a water leak and the head gasket is blown the poisons that look clean is usually and indicator off the area its gone on the gasket.  but you can get a leak on the rear of the engine were the dispack and egr are that can make the exhaust steam up as it will leak on to the exhaust under pressure. aslo damp weather can cause steam on the manifold it can collect a lot of water in the air over a cold or damp night. best to check after engine has warmed up and look at the smoke coming out of the exhaust. even just holding your hand around the exhaust and seeing if its wet. or a gray white color when engine its a full temp.   also not running engine for adequate time can make it steam up 40/50 min drive time usually clears it.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2018, 04:59:00 by Chazza12 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.