Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: That was dreadful !  (Read 13177 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: That was dreadful !
« Reply #15 on: 18 September 2018, 12:31:18 »

My daily is a mk1 MX5, I'm used to feeling vulnerable. A lorry wheel/tyre is about the same height as my car.

Not really a classic in the same way as the cars mentioned above, but a pretty good compromise of retro fun with a nearly bullet proof engine, just a shame about the rust  ;D

Bit girly though. ;)

Bit 'hairdresserish'. :)

How original  ;)

Most comments like that come from someone who has never driven one but has just dismissed it as a hairdressers car. I also doubt many hairdressers use the car for Autosolos, Sprints and other entry level motorsports. I even had a go at 'losing control in formation' (drifting) only took 85PSI  :o in the rears to make it skiddy.

I admit I have never driven one.

My wife and a number of her female friends have though. ;)

They all love the MX5.

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 18 September 2018, 12:48:37 »

The MX5 is one of the finest two seaters to have ever graced our shores. It is the best selling convertible sports car in history. There is just no arguing with its pedigree.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 September 2018, 12:57:03 »

The MX5 is one of the finest two seaters to have ever graced our shores. It is the best selling convertible sports car in history. There is just no arguing with its pedigree.

It's a modern day Triumph Spitfire.

Pretty, not quick, and generally but not exclusively appeals to ladies, and gentlemen of a certain sexual persuasion.

It's a shame it has this reputation because as you rightly say it's a great little car. :y

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 September 2018, 13:05:12 »

Luckily for me I care little for what other people think.

I was once waiting at a red light in the MX5, roof down. A scruffy builders van pulls up in the lane next to me, the passenger says 'Owww you'll be a hairdresser then!' whilst turning to his mate seeking approval, I turned and said, 'You'll be the thick as f*** builder then'. The driver burst out laughing and passenger didn't know where to look.

If people think they can guess my profession or sexual orientation by the car I drive, then it says a lot more about them than it does about me.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

STEMO

« Reply #19 on: 18 September 2018, 13:06:46 »

It's a modern day Triumph Spitfire.

Pretty, not quick, and generally but not exclusively appeals to ladies, and gentlemen of a certain sexual persuasion.

It's a shame it has this reputation because as you rightly say it's a great little car. :y
I followed one along a lovely, quite twisty A road earlier this morning. It was one of the latest ones with a private plate reading 'ANN' at the end. 50mph limit, but commonly understood to be actually 70. ;D I sat behind it at 40mph until we reached a bit of straight then blasted past it, glancing across to see a 60ish year old ANN gripping the steering wheel and staring straight ahead.

I thought of Clarkson and his 'Shot in front of the family' remark.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 September 2018, 13:23:37 »

I was once waiting at a red light in the MX5...

Elite Pete was once sitting at the end of a runway in an MX5.. Waiting for a gaggle of 3.0 and 3.2 Omegas to catch up. ;D

I really don't care about the MX5s image. It is probably the most entertaining production car I've driven. Not the fastest, by a long way, but it's not remotely comparable with a Triumph Shitfire. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 September 2018, 13:41:08 »

Elite Pete was once sitting at the end of a runway in an MX5.. Waiting for a gaggle of 3.0 and 3.2 Omegas to catch up. ;D

I really don't care about the MX5s image. It is probably the most entertaining production car I've driven. Not the fastest, by a long way, but it's not remotely comparable with a Triumph Shitfire. ;)

Well technically it is light-years ahead of a Spitfire or MGB. Far superior.

I think the demographic is perhaps similar though. ;)

Way back in 'the mists of time' my friend used to drive a 1500 Spitfire that belonged to his mother. At the time I thought we looked quite cool.........looking back people probably thought we looked like a pair of poofs stinking of Denim aftershave.. :D ;D
« Last Edit: 18 September 2018, 13:45:42 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 September 2018, 13:47:28 »

This is a rumour like Roswell. 8) 8)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 September 2018, 14:44:48 »

There's video evidence somewhere, IIRC. ;D

.. but I know for a fact my 3.2 would be blown away my Mrs. KW's MX5... Up to about 125 MPH, at any rate. :-X
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #24 on: 18 September 2018, 15:09:40 »

There's video evidence somewhere, IIRC. ;D

.. but I know for a fact my 3.2 would be blown away my Mrs. KW's MX5... Up to about 125 MPH, at any rate. :-X
Roller skate v two ton barge...who'd have thunk it?  ::)

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 September 2018, 15:16:32 »

Its all definately a matter of personal taste.ive driven many a modern/ nearly new car and found them all very much of a muchness.my boss has had bmw,audi and mercs and to be honest they all felt harsh and uninspiring to be in.thry were all large saloons.
Same goes for smaller stuff like astras fiestas vws etc. All seem fine to do what they are designed to do but again no character.sure do a long journey in something modern and you may well get there with no aches and pains but would i feel as if id actually enjoyed the drive ?  Most likely not.

Now if i were to go to northumerland for example in a hc viva or mk1 cav i would thoroughly enjoy the journey .the cav especially having a near perfect driving position and handling and obviously the omega too for unrivalled comfort.

Please remeber thou that this is MY opinion. Most of my friends would think the entire opposite to me and thry are not wrong as such ,just thats what they prefer.

STEMO

« Reply #26 on: 18 September 2018, 15:20:58 »

Its all definately a matter of personal taste.ive driven many a modern/ nearly new car and found them all very much of a muchness.my boss has had bmw,audi and mercs and to be honest they all felt harsh and uninspiring to be in.thry were all large saloons.
Same goes for smaller stuff like astras fiestas vws etc. All seem fine to do what they are designed to do but again no character.sure do a long journey in something modern and you may well get there with no aches and pains but would i feel as if id actually enjoyed the drive ?  Most likely not.

Now if i were to go to northumerland for example in a hc viva or mk1 cav i would thoroughly enjoy the journey .the cav especially having a near perfect driving position and handling and obviously the omega too for unrivalled comfort.

Please remeber thou that this is MY opinion. Most of my friends would think the entire opposite to me and thry are not wrong as such ,just thats what they prefer.
You're just weird.  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 September 2018, 15:25:06 »

Not many would keep up on the thirties behind my Smart Roadster ..... all 700cc & 80 bhp. Sticks to the road like the proverbial to a blanket. I've upset various 'fast' cars when I've caught them up again at the next bend ..... obviously they leave me behind on the long straights.   :y

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 September 2018, 15:34:49 »

To many people, a car is a tool. It's a means of transport. It takes a petrol head, someone with at least an interest to 'enjoy' a drive.

I do have plans to do a merger between the MX5 and the 3.2 v6 I have in the garage  ;) But I have bee thinking about this for years, actual activity is limited so far, but I think I've at least mentally worked out some of the bigger issues, well the bigger issues I can think of.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

STEMO

« Reply #29 on: 18 September 2018, 15:41:26 »

To many people, a car is a tool. It's a means of transport. It takes a petrol head, someone with at least an interest to 'enjoy' a drive.

I do have plans to do a merger between the MX5 and the 3.2 v6 I have in the garage  ;) But I have bee thinking about this for years, actual activity is limited so far, but I think I've at least mentally worked out some of the bigger issues, well the bigger issues I can think of.
I actually enjoy driving my run of the mill astra diesel. Automatic, economic and plenty of power for my needs. Leather, heated seats in the winter, climate control, cruise, speed limiter, etc. It sounds quite rough, but so does a 5 litre yank.  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.