Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sandwich adapter plate oil filter for external oil cooler for a V6  (Read 2887 times)

Vega

• The Netherlands
    • Omega Saloon 3.2
    • View Profile

Has anyone installed a sandwich adapter plate oil filter for external oil cooler for a V6 yet?
I have seen that there is not a lot of room for expansion.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Sandwich adapter plate oil filter for external oil cooler for a V6
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2018, 19:09:29 »

Not aware of anyone attempting it, as the standard oil in water coolant is the better option for the standard application.
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2018, 19:51:12 »

The standard 'oil cooler' is actually a heat exchanger that works both ways ie helps heat the coolant/engine get up to temp in the first place as well as a cooler when the engine is hot.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2018, 21:32:50 »

Because of the lack of space around the oil filter I doubt that there would be space to change a filter fitted to an adapter plate once the engine is in the car. :-\

If you must fit an external cooler why bother messing with an adapter plate? The existing oil cooler is plumbed in to the holes just above the oil filter. Make your connections there.

"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2018, 21:53:32 »

If you're bored and prepared to experiment, then you might be able to make the four cylinder one fit :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2018, 09:43:09 »

Not sure why you'd bother with a sandwich plate given that the V6 has oil cooler lines direct from the block to feed the standard oil cooler anyway. As said, though, the standard oil cooler isn't a bad setup so why change it?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 September 2018, 10:32:03 »

..... As said, though, the standard oil cooler isn't a bad setup so why change it?

Same as why people want to fit a spin on oil filter ....  ::)

Vega

• The Netherlands
    • Omega Saloon 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 September 2018, 19:11:41 »

If you're bored and prepared to experiment, then you might be able to make the four cylinder one fit :-\

You are always welcome to visit me.

Not sure why you'd bother with a sandwich plate given that the V6 has oil cooler lines direct from the block to feed the standard oil cooler anyway.

Someone I did know tried that and he blew up two oil coolers. So I thought that the oil pressure is to high if you connect the oil cooler this way.
But probably they were not the correct oil coolers or wrong modell.

As said, though, the standard oil cooler isn't a bad setup so why change it?

No it isn't, why would you want the oil temperature over more then 100 °C the optimal oil temperature is 80 °C
This setup is only for the eco shit emission, if the oil is quicker warm the engine emission are better.
If you always drive the speed limit never drive sportive, do not tow a caravan etc. then it will work, but if drive more sportive and faster (in Germany) then the oil cooler setup could be better.

Because it is a shit construction. if you are unlucky, you will not unscrew the lid but the whole oil filter house. And then you have a challenge to get it right again.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 September 2018, 23:26:07 »

Because it is a shit construction. if you are unlucky, you will not unscrew the lid but the whole oil filter house. And then you have a challenge to get it right again.

I never had a problem in the 10 yrs/80k miles I had my Omega. My Smart Roadster & Merc R Class both have an element type filter, admittedly though the housings are both plastic.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 September 2018, 00:20:28 »

I never had a problem in the 10 yrs/80k miles I had my Omega. My Smart Roadster & Merc R Class both have an element type filter, admittedly though the housings are both plastic.
That's as maybe, but you also get confused by three pedals :D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 September 2018, 09:58:47 »

Someone I did know tried that and he blew up two oil coolers. So I thought that the oil pressure is to high if you connect the oil cooler this way.
But probably they were not the correct oil coolers or wrong modell.

As said, though, the standard oil cooler isn't a bad setup so why change it?

No it isn't, why would you want the oil temperature over more then 100 °C the optimal oil temperature is 80 °C
This setup is only for the eco shit emission, if the oil is quicker warm the engine emission are better.
If you always drive the speed limit never drive sportive, do not tow a caravan etc. then it will work, but if drive more sportive and faster (in Germany) then the oil cooler setup could be better.

I'm not sure why you have experienced coolers bursting. The oil pressure is limited at the pump by a relief valve so no point in the system downstream should be seeing excessive pressure, although after a cold start it will be highest due to higher viscosity of the oil. I have never measured it on an Omega but I wouldn't expect to see more than 5 or 6 BAR even when cold.

Oil temperature needs to rise above 100 C from time to time to drive off any water vapour from combustion products. You see this in cars only driven locally as mayonnaise in the oil filler. Modern oils are generally fine up to 120 / 130 degrees C. I'm not sure where the "ideal" of 80 C comes from, but the main thing is that the oil has the right viscosity at the temperature at which it runs, which, for synthetic oils covers a wide temperature range. 

With a large oil cooler with decent coolant flow around it, there is no chance of the oil temperature rising significantly above the coolant temperature regardless of how hard you drive the car, and there is also no risk of overcooling the oil during urban driving either, which is often a problem with external oil coolers.

You also have the advantage of no flexible hoses in the oil system, so much reduced risk of a hose rupturing and losing your oil pressure.

The final point I'd make is that sometimes it's not a bad idea to modify a car, but, there's no point in doing it "blind". Measure first how the oil temperature behaves during different driving conditions and then decide if you need to make a change.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 September 2018, 11:46:39 »

That's as maybe, but you also get confused by three pedals :D
Confused? My only confusion over 3 pedals is why anyone would choose 3 pedals over 2 in a car like an Omega ..... or any other car really.  :P
3 out of the 4 cars in our house are only available with 2 pedals  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 September 2018, 15:55:08 »

Americans are simple folk, and the smart is too small for a gear linkage :P

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 September 2018, 18:31:30 »

In all the years I've had Omegas, the oil cooler has never caused me grief (ignoring the cheap one I knowing bought with a failed cooler).  I have never had a cooler failure, nor have I had any temp issues except on that old diesel with its cracked head.  And every single one of my Omegas was spanked all the time.

So, like Kevin Wood says, I'm not against the idea, just need to understand why the current setup needs any modification  :-\

As to oil filters, the paper element ones are much easier/cleaner to change, the spin-ons just make a bloody mess. Granted, if some numpty is a idiot when fitting, they often need to be stripped and reattached...  ...but worth the effort.
Grumpy old man

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 September 2018, 21:26:23 »

..... As said, though, the standard oil cooler isn't a bad setup so why change it?

Different reason actually.   Massive oil leak. Fixed simpler and cheaper with spin on filter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.