Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How long . . . . . ?  (Read 2165 times)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
How long . . . . . ?
« on: 25 September 2018, 18:47:37 »

How long have you got ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45638646

So life expectancy is static, and in some places decreasing. WTF !!! How long are we supposed to live? I'm not religeous, but somewhere I think the Bible mentions 3 score years and 10 (70). Seems reasonable. I mean is it expected that we will eventually live forever?

And. . . even this has been turned into a political thing, blaming austerity and cuts. What utter crap, something like this changes over many decades.

I advocate Soylent Green   :y

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: How long . . . . . ?
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2018, 18:54:02 »

Whilst I'm not in the least religious I've always believed[and still do] that everyone is born with a "time"and regardless of lifestyle/advances in medicine/any other factors when that time arrives it's game over.Live your life enjoy it while it lasts and let everything else take care of itself :y As someone once said "Dream as though you'll live forever,live like you'll die today"

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2018, 19:04:17 »

Yep there are old codgers out there who have smoked 60 a day all their life and are still hale and hearty in their 90's!  :y

And then there are the fitness fanatics who drop dead in their 40's!  :-\

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2018, 19:41:22 »

Yep there are old codgers out there who have smoked 60 a day all their life and are still hale and hearty in their 90's!  :y

There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that after skydiving without a parachute while playing Russian Roulette, smoking is the biggest single risk to life. I know so many smokers who kicked it as a direct result of smoking related disease and conditions.

My sister went last year. Lung cancer. Some years ago I tackled her about her smoking. She was adamant that she was not going to give up "her only pleasure in life". She certainly didn't think that way on her death bed bloated with steroids, zapped with painkillers after chemo and radiotherapy, with tubes in every orifice. A truly miserable death. My brother in law, not very much different died this year.

Rant over . . .

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2018, 19:47:11 »

It was the booze with my peers in Liverpool. They went into the pub at 16, claimed a bar stool and sat on it till they died.....mostly in their late 50's, early 60's.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2018, 19:48:03 »

When your times up that's it , we are all in a queue you can't move out of it you can't move to the back of it .

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2018, 20:31:05 »

Live every day as your last... one day you’ll be right.
Laying a rubber road.

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2018, 21:04:53 »

Live every day as your last... one day you’ll be right.
Nah.....if I didn't peg it on day two, I'd be skint and up for murder.  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2018, 22:05:49 »

There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that after skydiving without a parachute while playing Russian Roulette, smoking is the biggest single risk to life. I know so many smokers who kicked it as a direct result of smoking related disease and conditions.

My sister went last year. Lung cancer. Some years ago I tackled her about her smoking. She was adamant that she was not going to give up "her only pleasure in life". She certainly didn't think that way on her death bed bloated with steroids, zapped with painkillers after chemo and radiotherapy, with tubes in every orifice. A truly miserable death. My brother in law, not very much different died this year.

Rant over . . .

I wasn't advocating smoking, just pointing out the lottery of life that's all.  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 September 2018, 23:53:18 »

Rant over . . .

I wasn't advocating smoking, just pointing out the lottery of life that's all.  ::)

No. Not even suggesting that you were.

It's something I feel strongly about. I used to smoke, a lot. I always said that I would not turn into an anti-smoking fascist. But I have  ::)  . I just think it's one of the stupidest things a human can do.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 September 2018, 00:09:55 »

Rant over . . .

My Nan when I was a child described how her brother died from lung cancer & made me promise not to smoke, so I never have. Both my brothers and sister did, my brothers stopped in middle age but my sister still does and is in poor health, struggling to walk any distance slowly.

Two of my heavy roll-up smoking neighbours died prematurely at 53 and 71. Conversely my great uncle like virtually WWI veterans smoked cigarettes and the cigars and lived until he was 98. The last two winters have had bad flu outbreaks and virtually useless flu vaccinations where they targeted the wrong ones and protect against fewer strains in the UK compared to most western countries.

If you are in an at risk category or over 65 the baterial pneumonia vaccination is work having as it is a major killer with about 10% of people who contract it dying and it is a have once protected for life vaccine. I had it last spring where I'm diabetic.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 September 2018, 00:28:23 »

Grandad died as a result of a life spent drilling through asbestos building submarines. He barely made retirement.

Dad died at 70 from a viscous, undiagnosed lung cancer (found in his autopsy) and he never smoked.

I don't rate my chances of hitting 80 :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 26 September 2018, 06:01:51 »

Rant over . . .

No. Not even suggesting that you were.

It's something I feel strongly about. I used to smoke, a lot. I always said that I would not turn into an anti-smoking fascist. But I have  ::)  . I just think it's one of the stupidest things a human can do.
I smoked 30-40 a day for about 35 years. Yes, really. I packed up in 2008.........and have been addicted to nicotine gum ever since. I don't think it has damaged my lungs greatly, I can walk up steep hills and even have the odd, short, run if my doggie is being a bastid.
I'll get around to packing the gum in...........one day  ::)

2boxerdogs

« Reply #13 on: 26 September 2018, 06:13:03 »

I have never smoked , tried it like most kids do when I was about 15 didn't like it tasted awful to me , probably helped that neither of my parents smoked.  Have seen a lot of friends colleagues & relatives suffer various illnesses as a result of smoking made me feel glad that I never got hooked.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 September 2018, 07:21:43 »

I have very few living relatives. Most died from either cancer or heart disease. Most of the smokers died very young. Not making 40 in some cases.
I don't rate my chances of living to a ripe old age, but couldn't give a monkeys tbh.
I don't care when I die, I care how I die.
Dad was the exception who lived to 83. His last 10 years at least were a very lonely miserable existence and then he got Dementia and lost all his dignity before finally succumbing to it. I would rather die today than live to 83 and have that happen to me.  :(
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.