Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UPS disable audible allarm  (Read 1309 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
UPS disable audible allarm
« on: 22 October 2018, 11:43:37 »

I have decided to buy two more small UPS's. Just to keep the various set top boxes happy during the frequent second outages we have in bad weather.

The one I have on Sweex 500ma I have on my desktop has an audible alarm which I cannot figure out how to disable in software. It isn't an issue though as it a away from sleeping areas.

So does anyone know of a small UPS that has an alarm disable feature on it?  It isn't something they major on in their specs. Trust, Woxter, APC,Salicru, NGS

If all else fails I suppose I could cut the wire to the beeper but then that no doubt would invalidate the guarantee.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: UPS disable audible allarm
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2018, 11:49:47 »

I am pretty sure you can disable the alarms on the APC Smart UPSs. I think you have to connect them to a PC and run a configuration utility to access the setting, though.

A UPS might not be ideally suited to what you want to do, however, as they are designed primarily for delivering large amounts of power for short periods (long enough to shut down the system plus a bit). Some even shut down after a few minutes with no PC communication even before the battery gets depleted. It sounds like you need the opposite - a few watts for a longer period.

The other option is to open one up and either stick a sticker over the hole in the little sounder that makes the noise, or get the soldering iron out and remove it completely.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2018, 13:14:54 »

What else is there if not UPS ?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2018, 13:28:49 »

Crack it open and de-solder the speaker.  Just don't cross the streams bridge the contacts on the battery.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2018, 14:55:54 »

Not all of the Smart APC have a Com Port for PC, some of the cheaper ones are just dumb, normally if its Para-shoot ready it will have for Para-shoot config and other features via PC, cant remember if it lets you turn the Alarm off though been a while since I last played with one.

As said best way is take it apart, unplug it and remove the internal Battery connection first, then its normally just a Piezo Buzzer in there on the PCB.

PS, if your inn the Market for a good second hand one give me a shout, I'll even put some new batteries in there.  ;)

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2018, 15:02:49 »

Not all of the Smart APC have a Com Port for PC, some of the cheaper ones are just dumb, normally if its Para-shoot ready it will have for Para-shoot config and other features via PC, cant remember if it lets you turn the Alarm off though been a while since I last played with one.

As said best way is take it apart, unplug it and remove the internal Battery connection first, then its normally just a Piezo Buzzer in there on the PCB.

PS, if your inn the Market for a good second hand one give me a shout, I'll even put some new batteries in there.  ;)
Do you mean Power Chute?

Crack it open and de-solder the speaker.  Just don't cross the streams bridge the contacts on the battery.
This made me think of the powersounder  ;D

To the OP, I'd just take the suggestions above and disconnect the speaker/buzzer whatever. I can't see the value in spending good money when you already have a product you are otherwise happy with.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2018, 15:07:13 »

Do you mean Power Chute?

Yep, although Spell Checker had other ideas.  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 October 2018, 17:54:31 »

Not all of the Smart APC have a Com Port for PC, some of the cheaper ones are just dumb, normally if its Para-shoot ready it will
Again, not always, sometimes you have to add a network card.
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 October 2018, 21:27:22 »

Thanks for your kind offer. I will get a couple of cheap new units off Amazon and disable the buzzers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.