Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: For those that like feats of engineering  (Read 3393 times)

STEMO

For those that like feats of engineering
« on: 22 October 2018, 21:10:53 »

This bridge is certainly something to marvel at:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-43779631

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: For those that like feats of engineering
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2018, 21:24:29 »

Yes impressive. I bet they didn't spend years on public enquiries!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2018, 21:27:59 »

Yes impressive. I bet they didn't spend years on public enquiries!
Bet they didn't even stop for an hour when each of the seven workers were killed either  ;D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2018, 21:36:24 »

Impressive bridge, but I'm sure the Boris bridge to NI will be longer and their due to start building it any week now. :-[ :-[ :-[ :o :o :o
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

aaronjb

« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2018, 08:25:40 »

I clench buttocks just driving over the bridge into Wales.. that one would definitely leave a 50p shaped imprint in the drivers seat ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2018, 08:45:29 »

I know that feeling, Aaron - I first experienced it when I climbed to the top of the Monument in London: made my 'dangle berries' tingle too!
For those poor people from "oop norf", the Monument is a tall tower built on the site of the Great Fire of London. It's bloody high and has a simple cage around the top platform, leaving you feeling VERY exposed and vulnerable. Also quite knackered after climbing the 311 steps of the spiral staircase to get to the top! :(

Ron.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2018, 08:53:01 »

I clench buttocks just driving over the bridge into Wales.. that one would definitely leave a 50p shaped imprint in the drivers seat ;D

Don't worry. It will be free to cross soon.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

2boxerdogs

« Reply #7 on: 23 October 2018, 09:59:15 »

Very impressive, time will tell if it's as sturdy as claimed !

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2018, 10:37:58 »

I know that feeling, Aaron - I first experienced it when I climbed to the top of the Monument in London: made my 'dangle berries' tingle too!
For those poor people from "oop norf", the Monument is a tall tower built on the site of the Great Fire of London. It's bloody high and has a simple cage around the top platform, leaving you feeling VERY exposed and vulnerable. Also quite knackered after climbing the 311 steps of the spiral staircase to get to the top! :(

We visited the Notre Dame earlier this year and, having got into the wrong queue for entry, found ourselves climbing the 300-odd steps to the top .. a very similar experience by the sound of it - I was not a fan! Even though I know it's stood there for hundreds of years and is unlikely to spontaneously collapse, that's all I can think about when I'm up there! ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 October 2018, 11:33:46 »

Impressive bridge, but I'm sure the Boris bridge to NI will be longer and their due to start building it any week now. :-[ :-[ :-[ :o :o :o

Ha ha. Mrs V only this morning said solution to no hard border is to have wverything in and out of NI govia mainland i.e. normal borders. I said theywould have to build a bridge or two! Joking apart, there is a phenominalamount of lorries that cross each dayfrom Stranraer area.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 October 2018, 13:10:22 »

Ha ha. Mrs V only this morning said solution to no hard border is to have wverything in and out of NI govia mainland i.e. normal borders. I said theywould have to build a bridge or two! Joking apart, there is a phenominalamount of lorries that cross each dayfrom Stranraer area.

The distance between Britain and Northern Ireland at it narrowest point in the Irish Sea isn't much more than the Straights of Dover so a tunnel should be very possible, if the geology is right and it's financially viable.  :)

They could charge all those ROI lorries to pay for it!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 October 2018, 16:20:24 »

but the rh end will be in Scotland, wee jimmy crankie will claim it.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 October 2018, 17:48:31 »

but the rh end will be in Scotland, wee jimmy crankie will claim it.

Good point!  :y

It'll have to be built from Cumbria then and use the Isle of Man as a midway point.  :)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 October 2018, 18:12:57 »

Tbh, the amount of trade that goes from Norn Irn to the south is so small that it isn't really worth bothering about. Its the EU,s problem rather than a British one.
Bringing it to the mainland and then sending it back across to the South would probably solve the issue with the taxpayer picking up a relatively small tab for doing so.
Ive always thought it to be a red herring. If they want to solve it they will do so at the very last minute. If they think they can use it to collapse the Brexit process, they will do that and blame May for it.
If we are building a bridge to Norn Ireland can we build it from Essex please ?  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 October 2018, 18:36:01 »

Tbh, the amount of trade that goes from Norn Irn to the south is so small that it isn't really worth bothering about.

Wait!  Are you telling us that the Republic of Ireland is not one of the worlds great economies?!  :o :o :o           ::) :D ;D

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.