Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

Should X20XEV HEAD BE SKIMMED

(1/6) > >>

addy:
I have removed the head on the wifes 1995 2ltr (X20XEV) Omega, due to a knackered head gasket. The reason why I am asking if the head should be skimmed, is that some Vauxhall technical documents say not to, but everybody who have had gaskets go say get it skimmed. I can check the head surface with a straight edge, but cannot find the maximum allowed tolerance for it. If anyone has the measurement, I would be gratefull. Is there any other measurement I can also check beforehand incase it has been skimmed before I got it? I don't want to get it skimmed, if told it is safe to do only to find it has been done before and the head becomes no good.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Addy

henryd:

--- Quote from: addy on 27 November 2018, 13:01:09 ---I have removed the head on the wifes 1995 2ltr (X20XEV) Omega, due to a knackered head gasket. The reason why I am asking if the head should be skimmed, is that some Vauxhall technical documents say not to, but everybody who have had gaskets go say get it skimmed. I can check the head surface with a straight edge, but cannot find the maximum allowed tolerance for it. If anyone has the measurement, I would be gratefull. Is there any other measurement I can also check beforehand incase it has been skimmed before I got it? I don't want to get it skimmed, if told it is safe to do only to find it has been done before and the head becomes no good.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Addy

--- End quote ---

If its not been done before it should be fine,if it is bowed and taking out H/gasket its no good as it is anyway

Enceladus:
The Haynes manual says the max distortion to the gasket face of a 2.0 16V is 0.05mm which is about 2 thou.
It doesn't state a range for total height or a minimum. Just 134mm for height. So nice and clear on how much can be removed, if any.

Did your engine over heat? If it did then it's more likely to be warped.

Where did you read that these heads shouldn't be skimmed?

addy:
Hi Enceladus

This is one of the sites it says not to do it. I know it says astra but isn't x20xev engine the same?

https://workshop-manuals.com/vauxhall/vectra-b/j__engine_and_engine_aggregates/dohc_petrol_engine/cylinder_head/specifications/technical_data_cylinder_head_(x18xe_x20xev_c20sel_c22sel)/

Thanks
Addy

addy:
Hopefully someone can help me? I have been looking at a replacement head, incase mine is beyond repair. I have found one, but the numbers don't match mine. The ebay one is 90 466 643, the one on mine is R90 400 173. When i looked online this comes up as on a  98-04 Vauxhall Astra G 2.0L SRI 130 Cylinder head R90400173. This seems strange as the wifes 2ltr Omega was first registered in 1995. Or could someone put a different head on? Do the numbers have to match or will any X20XEV head fit? I have been told that a 2.2 head fits, is this true? If the 2.2 head fits will all the 2.0 parts and ecu work ok?

This is the reconditioned one.  I have found https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-X20XEV-reconditioned-cylinder-head/223245267847

Thanks for any help. Sorry for all the questions, asking on here as more knowlegable people.

Addy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version