Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Hamster fed  (Read 12094 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Hamster fed
« Reply #30 on: 06 December 2018, 01:22:53 »

I hear there is this newfangled "Cloud" thing, apparently you just throw everything into the cloud and it takes care of itself by magic.

What happens when you get a "Cloud Burst"??? 
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06 December 2018, 07:56:30 »

Your computer gets wet :D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06 December 2018, 09:40:27 »

Apologies.

Primary DB server is proper fsck'd.  It corrupted the database on the secondary when it went.

We restored from a backup from 8pm last night (which is the last one that looks not to contain the corruption), so there may be some missing posts made after that time.

Because we are running from the secondary, which is normally responsible for backups, the entire site will be unusable when backups are taken.  This is likely to be early morning, between 6 and 7am, give or take. This is due to the way the database has to be locked for the period of the backup.

It will be a few days before a pair of new database servers can be stood up, and normality returns.

I hear there is this newfangled "Cloud" thing, apparently you just throw everything into the cloud and it takes care of itself by magic. Sounds like it would save you loads of time and money. You should look into it  :y

;)

(At least I assume that's how the conversations go at Board level in companies these days...)

All routes lead back to the bottleneck HD array writes. Memory based db reads are fine, but writes on a busy cloud server IME are like queues on a bank holiday Disney ride. :-[ ::) ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06 December 2018, 11:04:22 »

I remember the old half crown and tanner.

Some on here will remember when the groat was still legal tender. :)

You don't mention the "Threepenny Bits" Opti. . . .

most unlike you not to mention those  ;D ;D ;D

Nor the lovely farthing that used to buy me 4 Black Jacks or Fruit Salads! :D ;)
I'm the same age as you, Lizzie, and I'm pretty sure blackjacks and fruit salads were four for a penny.  :-\

No,I am sure, unless my long term memory is as shot as my short term one, that they were 16 for 1d or 8 for 1/2d, 4 for 1/4d in 1958.  In 1965 when I started working behind a retail confectionery counter the farthing had gone, but even then Fruit Salads and Black Jacks were 8 for 1d.  Remember even the large Mars Bar was just 3d in those (late 1950's) days. :D

I have though tried to double check my facts but so far cannot come up with the confirmation, or the other, that what I remember is true or not.

Does anyone out their still have a Trebor price list for 1958? :D ;)
« Last Edit: 06 December 2018, 11:06:55 by Lizzie Zoom »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06 December 2018, 11:10:50 »

The earliest that I can remember are halfpeny chews and "flying saucers" at 4 for 1d. Oh, and frozen Jubblies in their tetrahedron packaging - lasted for ages!

Ron.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 06 December 2018, 12:04:46 »

Nor the lovely farthing that used to buy me 4 Black Jacks or Fruit Salads! :D ;)
I'm the same age as you, Lizzie, and I'm pretty sure blackjacks and fruit salads were four for a penny.  :-\

Blackjacks & Fruit Salad sweets I remembers as 4 for 1d in the early 1960's like this:

https://www.doyouremember.co.uk/memory/blackjacks

My first memories of sweets were those along with sherbert fountains with the central liquorish stick and a tin of Roses or Quality Street at Christmas.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

STEMO

« Reply #36 on: 06 December 2018, 12:16:24 »

No,I am sure, unless my long term memory is as shot as my short term one, that they were 16 for 1d or 8 for 1/2d, 4 for 1/4d in 1958.  In 1965 when I started working behind a retail confectionery counter the farthing had gone, but even then Fruit Salads and Black Jacks were 8 for 1d.  Remember even the large Mars Bar was just 3d in those (late 1950's) days. :D

I have though tried to double check my facts but so far cannot come up with the confirmation, or the other, that what I remember is true or not.

https://springchicken.co.uk/entertainment/memory-lane/what-sweets-could-you-buy-for-a-penny/

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 06 December 2018, 16:40:21 »

https://springchicken.co.uk/entertainment/memory-lane/what-sweets-could-you-buy-for-a-penny/

Thanks for those links which prove me wrong!! :y :y

It seems my memory has distorted what we could buy for a farthing in 1958, but that is probably because I was so small and Black Jacks  and Fruit Salads seemed sooooo big! :D :D ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 06 December 2018, 16:52:52 »

We were so poor sucking on a piece of coal was considered a luxury.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 06 December 2018, 16:54:54 »

Pez machines. :y

STEMO

« Reply #40 on: 06 December 2018, 16:56:34 »

I don't ever remember using farthings. Pennies and hapennies are my earliest memory. You could have 24 quite large copper coins in your pocket and only have the equivalent of today's 5p tiddler.

STEMO

« Reply #41 on: 06 December 2018, 16:59:04 »

Don't remember those  :-\
I remember the machines that gave you 5 park drive. In fact, if you hit them hard enough with a bat, they'd give you enough for everyone in the street, including adults.  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 06 December 2018, 16:59:16 »

I don't ever remember using farthings. Pennies and hapennies are my earliest memory. You could have 24 quite large copper coins in your pocket and only have the equivalent of today's 5p tiddler.

Yes. Before my time.

I remember the old ten bob note. A type of salmon pink colour if memory serves.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 06 December 2018, 17:01:19 »

Don't remember those  :-\
I remember the machines that gave you 5 park drive. In fact, if you hit them hard enough with a bat, they'd give you enough for everyone in the street, including adults.  ;D

I well remember the old cigarette machines. They used to give you free fags at 3 A.M...... ::)

STEMO

« Reply #44 on: 06 December 2018, 17:02:05 »

Yes. Before my time.

I remember the old ten bob note. A type of salmon pink colour if memory serves.
My missus has got one in a charm in her bracelet. (Which is worth far more than any of the modern shite she wears, but is hiding in a drawer somewhere).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.