Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Hamster fed  (Read 12097 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Hamster fed
« Reply #75 on: 07 December 2018, 11:25:18 »

I have a bag of old pre-decimal coins. Not rare and worth very little.

I have a couple late Victorian pennies from 1898 and 1900, along with  1906 and 1907 pennies from the reign of her drunken womanising son, Edward the seventh. :y

He was a very popular King I believe?  :y

But was he the one that was rumoured to be Jack the Ripper in his youth? or was that one of his bothers?  ??? :-\

One for Lizzie?  ???  :y

Neither Opti.  It was suggested that Prince Albert Edward Victor, Duke of Clarence, one of the Grandson's of Queen Victoria,son of Prince of Wales "Bertie", later King Edward VII, was, but there is absolutely no proof whatsoever that he could have been. 

Various suspects have been named, which I will not repeat here as nothing was ever proved.  However, a certain butchers cartman / delivery man has been fairly recently noted by some historians as being an extremely likely candidate based on various facts surrounding him.  These include his route to work through the Whitechapel area which coincides with where the victims were found, his knowledge of carcass dissection within the his working duties, and his permanent state of dress, which was an apron that would be covered in blood from the meat he carried. Nothing again has been definitely proved, nor will it ever be now, leading to it being one of those wonderful historical unresolvable mysteries. :y
« Last Edit: 07 December 2018, 11:30:45 by Lizzie Zoom »

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 07 December 2018, 14:56:07 »

There were reports some years ago that a letter-or some kind of paperwork-had come to light in Australia that pointed to Jack the ripper as being a woman.But as Lizzie states it's a crime that will never be solved with certainty.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 07 December 2018, 15:29:03 »

I recall a story from some years back wherein a man on the gallows about to be hanged called out "I am Jack.....". He never finished the sentence, for obvious reasons, and it was assumed that he meant to claim to be Jack the Ripper. Lizzie, any thoughts?

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 07 December 2018, 16:04:26 »

I recall a story from some years back wherein a man on the gallows about to be hanged called out "I am Jack.....". He never finished the sentence, for obvious reasons, and it was assumed that he meant to claim to be Jack the Ripper. Lizzie, any thoughts?

Ron.

Do not know of that case, but there have been hundreds of suggestions of who it could have been, with a large number of people claiming to have been him to gain some form of weird notoriety, such as probably was the case with that man about to be hung.

As I said though we will never really know who it was, but it continues to keep historians interested in that field busy, and no doubt will sell books on the subject for hundreds of years to come! ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 07 December 2018, 16:18:55 »

Ron.

Perhaps he was called Jack. :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 08 December 2018, 10:13:00 »

P.S. MySQL is dead. You should be using MariaDB. It's like toootally different. Except it's the same. ;D
Errr, well, yes, force of habit. It is MariaDB. But nobody has ever heard of that.

It still corrupts its DB all the time, its its InnoDB recovery methods are somewhere between destructive and catastrophic. rm -rf /var/lib/mysql is the only viable recovery.

Did I mention its shit?
Grumpy old man

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 08 December 2018, 12:39:57 »

OOF seemed a bit slow earlier, so I just assumed the hamster in its yellow jacket had escaped and was rioting in Paris all weekend. ::) ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 08 December 2018, 17:59:53 »

OOF seemed a bit slow earlier, so I just assumed the hamster in its yellow jacket had escaped and was rioting in Paris all weekend. ::) ::) ::)
We're currently back on SAS spinny drives for a bit, following a controller glitch on the SSDs (which are SATA)
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 08 December 2018, 18:17:47 »

Oh dear , lots of tech issues
Thanks for taking the time to sort it  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 08 December 2018, 18:54:57 »

It will be a few days before a pair of new database servers can be stood up, and normality returns.
Now running from the new database (virtual) servers.

When I regain confidence in the SATA controllers on the physical servers, we'll go back onto the SSDs. But for now, on old fashioned hard drives (although SAS, not SATA, so performance shouldn't be utterly dire)
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 08 December 2018, 19:42:53 »

It will be a few days before a pair of new database servers can be stood up, and normality returns.

When I regain confidence in the SATA controllers on the physical servers, we'll go back onto the SSDs. But for now, on old fashioned hard drives (although SAS, not SATA, so performance shouldn't be utterly dire)

To me that is all double Dutch, but rather sexy!! 8) 8) ;)

All I know is you TB do an awful lot to keep the show on the road which I for one thank you for :-* :-* :y :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 08 December 2018, 19:59:34 »

To me that is all double Dutch, but rather sexy!! 8) 8) ;)

In English it means that he tripped over the power cord to the computer that runs OOF while staggering to the bog after another naga ::)

Darius

• Omega 2.2 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 08 December 2018, 20:27:11 »

It was suggested that Prince Albert Edward Victor, Duke of Clarence, one of the Grandson's of Queen Victoria,son of Prince of Wales "Bertie", later King Edward VII, was, but there is absolutely no proof whatsoever that he could have been.
I have somehow acquired two Ripper books.

They all love Jack by Bruce Robinson makes a convincing case for a strong Masonic influence and for the Ripper to have been Michael Maybrick, a famous songwriter.

The Diary of Jack the Ripper by Shirley Harrison makes a convincing case for the Ripper to have been James Maybrick, a cotton merchant from Liverpool.  His wife Florie was later convicted of poisoning him, but it now looks decidedly unlikely she was guilty.

Strangely, Michael and James were brothers.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 08 December 2018, 21:08:21 »

It was suggested that Prince Albert Edward Victor, Duke of Clarence, one of the Grandson's of Queen Victoria,son of Prince of Wales "Bertie", later King Edward VII, was, but there is absolutely no proof whatsoever that he could have been.
I have somehow acquired two Ripper books.

They all love Jack by Bruce Robinson makes a convincing case for a strong Masonic influence and for the Ripper to have been Michael Maybrick, a famous songwriter.

The Diary of Jack the Ripper by Shirley Harrison makes a convincing case for the Ripper to have been James Maybrick, a cotton merchant from Liverpool.  His wife Florie was later convicted of poisoning him, but it now looks decidedly unlikely she was guilty.

Strangely, Michael and James were brothers.

Yes, many people were suspects for all kinds of reasons, but again it must be said that there is no evidence that would stand up in a court of law to convict anyone of this crime.

Those books you have are just two of many, let alone all the articles and documentaries that exist out there, but that just proves there is still money to be made with this story. ;)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 09 December 2018, 03:05:27 »

We're currently back on SAS spinny drives for a bit, following a controller glitch on the SSDs (which are SATA)

Scratch chin, why would SSDs make a difference as I would expect the reverse with slower HDDs with possible queue buffer overflow?
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.