Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery removal  (Read 9512 times)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Battery removal
« Reply #45 on: 18 December 2018, 20:40:25 »

many aftermarket audio systems don't have a code
google the model and the word "code"
if vauxhall blaupunkt it may be coded
I've since replaced my mum's with one i had a code for   8)

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 18 December 2018, 20:45:39 »

Hello Doc. don't worry about which part, connecting another battery or not having a code :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 18 December 2018, 22:04:18 »

Both ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 19 December 2018, 15:56:30 »

You can buy a device quite cheaply that plugs into  the OBD port and has two leads with crocodile clips that you connect to a spare battery / golf battery / 12v household alarm battery, which retains all settings until the new battery is fitted. It has led lights that let you know all is well to disconnect the battery.
There are others that plug into the cig lighter socket but I prefer the OBD type.
Cant vouch for other Cars but on the Omega the positive on the ODB Port is direct to the Battery Positive, un Fused, so my advice if you are going to to connect any form of other Volts to it, make sure its got some form of overload protection or better still fit your own fuse inline to what ever your pluging into it. 

As to charging a battery on the car, I have two. Both state that the negative lead should be connected to a strong earthing point not the neg trerminal of the battery, and as far away from battery as possible, although this is dictated by the length of the leads.
Some modern cars have specific positive and negative terminals away from the battery specifically for charging / jump starting purposes.
They say this so as to reduce the risk of sparks when connecting or discounting the Charger Clips to the Battery terminals (Possible explosion if the Battery is venting hydrogen), personally I would always connect directly connect to the battery terminals and take the risk, rather than have potential stray voltage going through the body of my Car.

I always diss one of the battery clamps so as to isolate it before connecting a Charger if charging the Battery in situ (normal the Poss, although Neg will do the job just as well) or as said before if you really wont to play it safe diss both Terminals or take the Battery out of the Car.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 19 December 2018, 18:02:58 »

Read your post Zirk I assume that I do not need a fuse if I am going to connect a 12 volt golf battery to the battery leads whilst I change the battery as a means of holding my radio code,.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 19 December 2018, 18:16:36 »

We've had this debate before, but without an Omega on the drive, we will both have to trust our memories...  ;D

It is in the manual though ;)

They reset just on the up, despite what the manual may say. Just hold in the up position for a couple of seconds. Don’t forget to reset the sunroof if fitted too
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 19 December 2018, 18:33:10 »

Read your post Zirk I assume that I do not need a fuse if I am going to connect a 12 volt golf battery to the battery leads whilst I change the battery as a means of holding my radio code,.
Weii I would just as a precaution, in your case your Connecting a small Golf Cart Battery directly to a bigger Omega Car Battery thats capable of delivering hundreds of Amps via some very thin wires behind the ODB Port, all sorts of potentials issues or mistakes could be about to happen.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 19 December 2018, 18:37:37 »

In the past I've connected jump leads from a donor battery to the relative vehicle battery CLAMPS, undone one clamp and tied it up clear of the battery, wrapped a rag around it to minimise any chance of it touching any metal parts and then repeated for the other clamp.
Fit the new battery, connect the clamps to the new battery, disconnect jump leads and away you go.
The positive lead is easily tied away from the battery by tying it to the bonnet strut but with the negative I find it easier to remove the plastic corner bit in front of the battery so that you have a bit more clearance to pull the negative clear of the battery and enable you to wrap a rag around it.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 20 December 2018, 15:57:36 »

Job done I read my radio handbook again and learnt that the radio had a Flip Release panel to guard against theft.Who would take that out of the car everytime the car was left.I therefore assumed that a code  didn't exist.I went ahead and disconnected the battery without any backup.On reconnection radio ok set windows job done.My radio is a Blaupunkt Acapulco MP52 just incase anybody has the same unit. :y

aaronjb

« Reply #54 on: 20 December 2018, 17:10:10 »

I remember the days (in the 1990s) I used to take the face plate of my Alpine stereo with me..

.. then I stopped, and someone promptly nicked the Alpine HU and CD changer out of the boot of my Renault 19 16v.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 20 December 2018, 21:04:51 »

There you go I must admit that the  radio in my caravan has a flip panel but I have never taken it out of the caravan.I would think that a lot of damage must occur with constant removal.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 20 December 2018, 21:07:54 »

I remember the days (in the 1990s) I used to take the face plate of my Alpine stereo with me..

.. then I stopped, and someone promptly nicked the Alpine HU and CD changer out of the boot of my Renault 19 16v.
I used to religiously take out the front panel of my Kenwood back in the early 90s.  As I had an Astra GTE at the time, I also used to religiously take some fuses, the HT lead, the engine management ECU as well. Once I'd put on the crocklock between the handbrake and gearstick, and the big yellow bar across the steering wheel....
Grumpy old man

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 20 December 2018, 21:12:44 »

Did you have a wheelbarrow to carry it all :D

aaronjb

« Reply #58 on: 21 December 2018, 09:16:39 »

Did you have a wheelbarrow to carry it all :D

In the 90s?

Bumbag. ;D

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 21 December 2018, 14:37:28 »

And so it goes on. I went to unlock the car  with the key fob and the doors unlocked and immediately locked this happened 3 or 4 times on pressing the fob and then operated normally.Is this to do with the loss of power when I changed my car battery or is it yet another problem.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.