Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Well I never!!  (Read 4295 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Well I never!!
« on: 10 January 2019, 07:54:22 »

A report out after a study says that the greatest cause of injury among rugby players is due to being tackled :o Well no sh@t Sherlock :D :D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Well I never!!
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2019, 08:20:50 »

Ha ha .

I wonder who paid for the report and who did it?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2019, 09:07:04 »

Nothing quite like "stating the obvious" 😀😁😂

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2019, 09:23:16 »

A report out after a study says that the greatest cause of injury among rugby players is due to being tackled :o Well no sh@t Sherlock :D :D

Nothing quite like "stating the obvious" 😀😁😂

Its not quite that simple...
For the past X years, the greatest injury cause was being tackled, in 2017-18, the greatest cause was being the tackler. The report is an annual one and its purpose is to see track the effect on players when changes are made to the laws of the game.

World rugby know that as professional athletes continue to get bigger and stronger they are on borrowed time until they are forced to accept padding / head protection, just like Roosevelt did to the NFL. They don't want that so they continually tweak the laws and give guidance to referees as to how they are applied to try and make the game safer. But the only way you can tell if you're making the game safer is to track the injury rate and severity per player per hour on the pitch/training ground.

Hence the annual report.  :y
« Last Edit: 10 January 2019, 09:26:47 by jimmy944 »

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2019, 09:56:29 »

It is generally accepted that using pads increases the forces subjected to the tacklee as they reduce the pain on the tackler that limits the force in the tackle.  I still play, I'm 135kg and I am fast (in a straight line) for someone my size.  I know that I can absolutely munch somebody with a tackle if I get the timing right.  However, it hurts me to do so and I know that I can maybe do that a maximum of 3-4 times in a match, anymore and the pain is too much for me.  Give me pads like they have in AF and I would be able to repeatedly hit that hard with little consequence and thus increasing the chance of a whiplash injury to the tacklee.  My goal is not to hurt the opposition players but to use my physicality to intimidate them in to making mistakes, the effect that a 135kg chap coming at you at full tilt has can be quite de-stabilising leading to errors and an advantage to my team.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2019, 10:12:04 »

Ha! I didn't think anyone else on here would actually play! I had to give up for a few years while I worked away so much but started training again this year. I'm 35 so I'm not quite as bouncey as I used to be, and the rules around scrummaging, or at least how they are applied seem to have changed a bit since I last played!

You make a good point about the pads, personally I hope it doesn't happen, and changing/updating the laws is the only way to avoid it.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2019, 10:24:51 »

It reminds me of a 2 million pound survey on sleep.

It concluded that "a good night of sleep was important to physical and mental health"

Apparently nobody was aware of this. ::) ::) ::) ::)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2019, 10:34:55 »

Or the survey that concluded that overeating increased peoples weight.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2019, 11:07:30 »

Ha! I didn't think anyone else on here would actually play! I had to give up for a few years while I worked away so much but started training again this year. I'm 35 so I'm not quite as bouncey as I used to be, and the rules around scrummaging, or at least how they are applied seem to have changed a bit since I last played!

You make a good point about the pads, personally I hope it doesn't happen, and changing/updating the laws is the only way to avoid it.

I know how you feel, I had a neck injury while I was in to Ironman so I stoppped playing for several years.  I was ending up in hospital for my crohns more often through Ironman than previously through rugby and after Austria in summer 2017 and a week in Frimley I stopped all sport.  Late last year my weight  had ballooned by more than 15kg and my triglycrides were dangerously high so I had to do something.  I am back in to playing rugby and loving it although the first session back nearly killed me. ;D

2boxerdogs

« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2019, 12:35:12 »

In simple terms most reports are 'dangle berries' , unless you suffer from a lack of common sense.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2019, 17:57:36 »

I don,t know why people get so involved in this topic. It.s not a real "ball game" as the "ball" is totally the wrong shape :P . Everybody knows that as a fact. ;) Runs and hides. ;D

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2019, 20:52:14 »

I gave up playing aged 17 because a) I'd never been on the side that won in 7 years and b) I used to see stars after EVERY tackle.  Doctor suggested my brain might prefer not to be smashed against my skull 10 times a week.

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2019, 21:00:11 »

Well.....my dad used to beat me around the head with heavy objects on a regular basis.........and it never did me any harm.  :)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2019, 21:11:12 »

Well.....my dad used to beat me around the head with heavy objects on a regular basis.........and it never did me any harm.  :)
???

;D

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 January 2019, 22:15:29 »

It is generally accepted that using pads increases the forces subjected to the tacklee as they reduce the pain on the tackler that limits the force in the tackle.  I still play, I'm 135kg and I am fast (in a straight line) for someone my size.  I know that I can absolutely munch somebody with a tackle if I get the timing right.  However, it hurts me to do so and I know that I can maybe do that a maximum of 3-4 times in a match, anymore and the pain is too much for me.  Give me pads like they have in AF and I would be able to repeatedly hit that hard with little consequence and thus increasing the chance of a whiplash injury to the tacklee.  My goal is not to hurt the opposition players but to use my physicality to intimidate them in to making mistakes, the effect that a 135kg chap coming at you at full tilt has can be quite de-stabilising leading to errors and an advantage to my team.

I`d first try & dazzle you with yellow streak running down the middle of my back  :P

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.