Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

Astra H SRi 2.0 Turbo brakes on Omega?

(1/7) > >>

JimmyR:
Hi all!

I'm struggling to get much reliable info online. Basically the thing that has always disappointed me in the 'mega is the brakes. I have a 2005 Astra Turbo that has been written off (Cat N) and I'm planning to scrap soon. I've always loved the brakes in that.

I'll keep the wheels and tyres to use on the Omega, but is there any chance of using the brake calipers? Or would there be no benefit?

I believe the Astra has 308mm discs on the front and the Omega has 296mm discs, but I can find scant other concrete information. I don't have the two cars together to compare right now, and I thought someone here might know. If not, the Astra goes to the scrapyard on steel wheels. Shame for a fundamentally OK car, but it's not worth spending the money to sort it out

Thank you

Doctor Gollum:
Cat N could probably pass an MoT... not fixing it is plain lazy if fundamentally ok ???

No the brakes won't fit. Easiest option is to fit the front callipers from an early base model Monaro/Pontiac GTO... same sized discs as the Omega and same fitting for the calliper. Anything more involved and you're talking £££ and effort. ;)

zirk:
Very much doubt the wheels will fit, they could be persuaded with some spacers but that could mess things up.  :-\

JimmyR:

--- Quote from: Doctor Gollum on 10 January 2019, 21:23:49 ---Cat N could probably pass an MoT... not fixing it is plain lazy if fundamentally ok ???

No the brakes won't fit. Easiest option is to fit the front callipers from an early base model Monaro/Pontiac GTO... same sized discs as the Omega and same fitting for the calliper. Anything more involved and you're talking £££ and effort. ;)

--- End quote ---

It did pass the last MOT as a Cat N, but now it has more faults. It's not rusty and the engine and gearbox are good, are what I meant.

It's in a shabby condition, reports an emissions fault (although I've put it through the last few MOTs like this, just turning the light off before the test), it will need some suspension work for the next MOT and one headlight mysteriously stopped working a few weeks ago. I have changed the bulb, but no difference.

At the same time I got a crazy bargain on a car I've wanted for a while, so I've replaced it already

JimmyR:

--- Quote from: zirk on 10 January 2019, 21:32:23 ---Very much doubt the wheels will fit, they could be persuaded with some spacers but that could mess things up.  :-\

--- End quote ---

They do fit - I've already used the car with identical wheels. This will just be a spare set to use the tyres up, since they're good

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version