Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Astra oil pressure warning light coming on  (Read 14764 times)

STEMO

Re: Astra oil pressure warning light coming on
« Reply #15 on: 17 January 2019, 10:41:14 »

It's a 120k astra,,, find a suitable metal recycling yard, one of dodgey morals, crush car report it stolen.. :)  No more problems.
We don't do that kind of thing on here. We bodge fix things.

aaronjb

« Reply #16 on: 17 January 2019, 11:03:38 »

This morning 0845 I rang the garage and asked them to change the oil pressure warning light switch. Man replied he did not think that would cure it. Apparently yesterday, after they had rung me, they tried it again, and it made a nasty noise and the light came on again. He suggests an engine flush, I agreed. Bad news.

Either you have terrible luck with Astras, or you are the best advert for why I shouldn't entertain picking up a snotter Astra when the Skoda goes!

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 17 January 2019, 11:04:38 »

This morning 0845 I rang the garage and asked them to change the oil pressure warning light switch. Man replied he did not think that would cure it. Apparently yesterday, after they had rung me, they tried it again, and it made a nasty noise and the light came on again. He suggests an engine flush, I agreed. Bad news.

Either you have terrible luck with Astras, or you are the best advert for why I shouldn't entertain picking up a snotter Astra when the Skoda goes!
Not a ten year old one, anyway.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 January 2019, 11:35:25 »

Certainly fixing the 2.2 Omegas would have been more cost effective  :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 January 2019, 12:00:19 »

Yup. £6-8k would get a far better example. Part of me is tempted to get MrsT an Astra petrol Estate, when my Omega rusts away.

Something like this:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201805186647865?sort=sponsored&advertising-location=at_cars&transmission=Automatic&radius=1500&make=VAUXHALL&model=ASTRA&year-from=2012&fuel-type=Petrol&postcode=tw89de&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&aggregatedTrim=Elite&body-type=Estate&page=1

I'd then keep the Zaf for work and odd times we need more seats.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 January 2019, 12:14:50 »

Of course, if you looked after it, the Omega would last a lot longer ::)

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 17 January 2019, 12:17:13 »

Yup. £6-8k would get a far better example. Part of me is tempted to get MrsT an Astra petrol Estate, when my Omega rusts away.

Something like this:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201805186647865?sort=sponsored&advertising-location=at_cars&transmission=Automatic&radius=1500&make=VAUXHALL&model=ASTRA&year-from=2012&fuel-type=Petrol&postcode=tw89de&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&aggregatedTrim=Elite&body-type=Estate&page=1

DONT buy  1.6 auto, Tunnie. They are slooooooooow. Look for a diesel 2.0 auto, like you zaf and my astra, more powerful, more frugal. That is, of course, unless it's for pootling around, no good for the DPF.
But, whatever, don't get the 1.6 auto.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 January 2019, 12:25:17 »

What about a Corsa?

STEMO

« Reply #23 on: 17 January 2019, 12:31:12 »

What about a Corsa?
Vauxhall's are ok, Terry, but other makes are available. Having said that, once any car reaches a certain age, it is bound to have problems.
I guess you like Vauxhalls because you're used to working on them, but Fords are much the same, and abundant. Of course, you wouldn't have the forum to fall back on.
Decisions, decisions.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 January 2019, 13:01:29 »

What about a Corsa?
Same engine family as the Astra... And we all know how that's working out.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 January 2019, 14:01:53 »

Something like this:

DONT buy  1.6 auto, Tunnie. They are slooooooooow. Look for a diesel 2.0 auto, like you zaf and my astra, more powerful, more frugal. That is, of course, unless it's for pootling around, no good for the DPF.

Thanks for tip, I do like the 2.0 CDTi - We've had no issues, I've noticed it doing DPF cycles and they appear short and return to normal revs after.

But MrsT is doing more and more shorter quick runs, like taking Little MissT to swimming. Engine barely gets warm, although we do use it a lot for longer runs at weekends.

Might seek out the 1.4T petrol in Astra, when/if  time comes.

STEMO

« Reply #26 on: 17 January 2019, 14:16:41 »

Something like this:

Thanks for tip, I do like the 2.0 CDTi - We've had no issues, I've noticed it doing DPF cycles and they appear short and return to normal revs after.

But MrsT is doing more and more shorter quick runs, like taking Little MissT to swimming. Engine barely gets warm, although we do use it a lot for longer runs at weekends.

Might seek out the 1.4T petrol in Astra, when/if  time comes.
A much better choice  :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 January 2019, 14:23:52 »

What about a Corsa?
Vauxhall's are ok, Terry, but other makes are available. Having said that, once any car reaches a certain age, it is bound to have problems.
I guess you like Vauxhalls because you're used to working on them, but Fords are much the same, and abundant. Of course, you wouldn't have the forum to fall back on.
Decisions, decisions.
Quite so. Having scrapped three Omegas last Autumn (MOT rust failures) I sought advice on this forum, and Astras seemed attractive. Road tested one for sale locally £850, liked it, bought it. Splendid car. Bought another £330, MOT failure, on emissions test it seized up, oil starvation. Bought another £795, here we are.

Last new car I bought, 1978, was a Volkswagen Passat, nothing but trouble.  I have owned Austins, Morris's, Fords, Citroens, Peugeots, Rovers and recently Vauxhalls; not to mention a Cotton 250 Villiers twin, a BSA Road Rocket 650, and 2 Velocette Venoms 500.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 January 2019, 14:26:06 »

That's a grand worth of Omega derusting...

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 January 2019, 14:26:33 »

What about a Corsa?
Same engine family as the Astra... And we all know how that's working out.
Yep 100% agree
but the corsa will probably have suffered even worse bad maintenance than an astra.
@ 120k semi synthetic or even mineral 10w40 would have been my choice.
little vauxhall engines don't like synthetic oil from my experience .

as for the garage flushing it , that is what you have done by putting in 5w30
yes you cleaned the sump ,BUT all the rest of the engine gunge from head,oilways and sides of the castings of the block etc is now dissolved, probably partly blocking the filter and pick up.
as with the last engine, I advise you drain it,new filter,new 10w40 semi or even thicker 15w40   mineral oil.
any car you buy needs oil suitable for the wear on the engine , I tend to buy lower mile cars and do cambelt and service etc .
important that a car has a credible documented service history unless yu know the seller. and it looks like the astras you have purchased have questionable history and high miles .
try the oil change and filter and make sure it is cooling correctly would be my advice . AGAIN  :D

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.