Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Astra oil pressure warning light coming on  (Read 14753 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Astra oil pressure warning light coming on
« Reply #120 on: 26 January 2019, 11:25:12 »

Put another way, contaminated solenoid valves and low oil pressure won't be doing the valve train any good, especially if it has been overheating.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 26 January 2019, 11:41:30 »

Put another way, contaminated solenoid valves and low oil pressure won't be doing the valve train any good, especially if it has been overheating.

And a VVT mechanism that isn't working correctly will definitely affect power delivery! I would expect it to feel flat at high RPM, as VVT fitted to ordinary production cars is intended to add a little extra top end to a torquey engine.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 26 January 2019, 12:18:25 »

I expect the rattle was more likely low oil pressure due to the fan not working and starving the cam and lifters of oil .( hot thin oil will pee out the big ends and mains and not reach the head) sitting in traffic.
now the oil is 10w40 semi and the fan works when hot ,and the engine has been flushed and cleaned out with 5w30 and sump removal  ;D I doubt the VVT filters will clog ,other than blobs of excess sealant from the sump sealing .
I also expect oil pressure will be ok now and with regular* changes of oil and filter ,all will be good
*regular , London driving,sitting in traffic etc 3 to 5k max

I think all this work when the oil light blinked on ,could have been resolved at the garage ,had the muppets given the car a proper test , I.E , got the car up to temperature ,checked the fans worked  ::), a quick run up the road does not check anything .
and this long thread  ,makes astras look complicated and problematic ,when in fact ,they are good cars *

*when serviced correctly and faults diagnosed correctly and methodically

I'd advise anyone to check the fans kick in when hot on an car when they first get it, preferably before handing over the money   :y

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 26 January 2019, 18:10:12 »

I agree Astras are great, I have a 1.6 16V Astra G bifuel (but I’ve put a set of injectors in at the top of the manifold) had it 6 years ITS had hell but keeps going through it all.
Laying a rubber road.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 26 January 2019, 18:11:45 »

Which of course does not have Variable valve timing. :)
Laying a rubber road.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 26 January 2019, 18:23:25 »

Yes , I love the simplicity of the astra g ,particularly the 8 valve  ;D
great cars ,sadly tin worm problems with the rear arches /sills (much like omega FL ) if no preventative rustproofing is done .
VVT filters probably clog because  85% of astra drivers don't ever rev beyond 3k  :P 70mph  ;D

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 26 January 2019, 18:27:26 »

Ha ha be ok for me then I’m never under 3k :D
Laying a rubber road.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 27 January 2019, 13:26:45 »

Nice sunny clear day, took the Astra out for a 60 mile thrash on the Mendip Hills. Wells, Priddy, Wookey Hole, Cheddar, Harptree, Cameley, the plucky thing never missed a beat, drove well, no warning lights on, really not so much wrong with it, I thought.

Passing the Hunters Lodge at Priddy I espied five old gentlemen on English motorcycles, so I pulled in for a chat. Turned out they were the Bath Oldies, and they do such outings on sunny days. There were an Ariel 500, a Norton 600, two Triumph twins and an ex WD BSA 350 side valve in olive green, solid rear end and girder front forks. That BSA brought back memories ,you could buy one of those in the 1950s, new, for £29 10 shillings, from Pride & Clarke, war surplus.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 27 January 2019, 17:34:27 »

Nice sunny clear day, took the Astra out for a 60 mile thrash on the Mendip Hills. Wells, Priddy, Wookey Hole, Cheddar, Harptree, Cameley, the plucky thing never missed a beat, drove well, no warning lights on, really not so much wrong with it, I thought.

Passing the Hunters Lodge at Priddy I espied five old gentlemen on English motorcycles, so I pulled in for a chat. Turned out they were the Bath Oldies, and they do such outings on sunny days. There were an Ariel 500, a Norton 600, two Triumph twins and an ex WD BSA 350 side valve in olive green, solid rear end and girder front forks. That BSA brought back memories ,you could buy one of those in the 1950s, new, for £29 10 shillings, from Pride & Clarke, war surplus.

My second bike was an ex WD 350 OHV Ariel, same solid frame and girder forks. Later converted to AMC swinging arm and tele's for scrambling. Happy days. :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 27 January 2019, 19:59:22 »

..... That BSA brought back memories ,you could buy one of those in the 1950s, new, for £29 10 shillings, from Pride & Clarke, war surplus.

but what did you get paid?  ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2AcJSkUw6M&t=4s  ;) ;)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 08 February 2019, 11:19:58 »

I agree
I expect the rattle was more likely low oil pressure due to the fan not working and starving the cam and lifters of oil .( hot thin oil will pee out the big ends and mains and not reach the head) sitting in traffic.
now the oil is 10w40 semi and the fan works when hot ,and the engine has been flushed and cleaned out with 5w30 and sump removal  ;D I doubt the VVT filters will clog ,other than blobs of excess sealant from the sump sealing .
I also expect oil pressure will be ok now and with regular* changes of oil and filter ,all will be good
*regular , London driving,sitting in traffic etc 3 to 5k max

I think all this work when the oil light blinked on ,could have been resolved at the garage ,had the muppets given the car a proper test , I.E , got the car up to temperature ,checked the fans worked  ::), a quick run up the road does not check anything .
and this long thread  ,makes astras look complicated and problematic ,when in fact ,they are good cars *

*when serviced correctly and faults diagnosed correctly and methodically

I'd advise anyone to check the fans kick in when hot on an car when they first get it, preferably before handing over the money   :y
I agree.
After the trouble free and brisk run from Enfield to Midsomer Norton 3 week ago, I have driven this car every day with no trouble. The cooling fan now works (changed the relays), and I have changed the oil to 10W40 and the oil filter. In 800 miles no warning lights have come on, no breakdowns or failures have occured, and the car drives all right for a FWD vehicle. All fluid levels remain OK. One fault remains, an engine rattle on cold start. I think that warrants a new thread. Thanks to all for help.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.