Chat Area > General Car Chat

Electric wing mirrors

(1/5) > >>

pauls:
I bought a bmw x3 with electric everything :-X anyway i knew when i bought it the drivers side mirror would not tilt or fold away. That didnt bother me as the passenger side one did , also the passenger one tilted down when put in reverse. That has now stopped working as well. The windows on both sides still work off the drivers switch. Could somebody tell me is they a way of testing the wireing to the mirrors without have to strip the door down. There is only one fuse so i cant see it being that as 1 was workkng.
I do have a multi meter but dont really know how to use it, so would need to know what to switch it to and what i would expect ghe results to be.
 I spoke to local garage and they want £78 a hour to try and identify whats wrong.

Any help would be appreciate.

Doctor Gollum:
Any noise or evidence of attempted working on either mirror when the mirror controls are used? If no, then peel back the rubber tube on the door hinges and look for breakages.  ;)

pauls:
No noise or sign off movement

Andy B:

--- Quote from: Doctor Gollum on 16 January 2019, 20:16:15 ---Any noise or evidence of attempted working on either mirror when the mirror controls are used? If no, then peel back the rubber tube on the door hinges and look for breakages. 

--- End quote ---

A Merc tends to break wiring where the mirror itself folds rather than the main harness to the door .....

but I guess yo already knew that  ::)

YZ250:

--- Quote from: pauls on 16 January 2019, 19:49:27 ---I bought a bmw x3 with electric everything :-X anyway i knew when i bought it the drivers side mirror would not tilt or fold away. That didnt bother me as the passenger side one did , also the passenger one tilted down when put in reverse. That has now stopped working as well.................

--- End quote ---

You may already have done so but just check that the mirror selection switch is set to drivers mirror as auto tilt passenger mirror when reversing only works in this position on a beemer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version