Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seen today  (Read 3231 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Seen today
« on: 22 January 2019, 18:51:52 »

Just before 3pm this afternoon I was going into the Ashby area of Scunny when I saw emerging from the premises of the local Honda car dealership a beautiful[at least it looked in great condition]Triumph TR4.Mind you I think the driver must be a bit of a softie as he had the top up ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Seen today
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2019, 18:56:50 »

Top up on a day like this? No excuse for that - well, until it started snowing anyway.

I really fancy a TR4. Lovely looking cars. I suspect I'd hate driving it, though, so maybe it should remain a dream?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2019, 18:59:46 »

.. goes and looks at Spyder Lotus Elans. :-*
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

2boxerdogs

« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2019, 20:46:48 »

Take a ride in a car of that era & you'll realise how much cars have improved but got to admit they do look great.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2019, 11:29:10 »

Take a ride in a car of that era & you'll realise how much cars have improved but got to admit they do look great.

Indeed. Unless it's made by Lotus whereby it'll handle beautifully and look bloody awful. *

*- unless it's an Elan.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2019, 12:25:12 »

Indeed. Unless it's made by Lotus whereby it'll handle beautifully, on the rare occasion it actually runs, and look bloody awful. *

*- unless it's an Elan.

Fixed.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2019, 12:38:11 »

Top up on a day like this? No excuse for that - well, until it started snowing anyway.

I really fancy a TR4. Lovely looking cars. I suspect I'd hate driving it, though, so maybe it should remain a dream?

TR5 for me in the same body........ with the 2.5 straight six and for the time 'space age' fuel injection.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2019, 12:39:47 »

.......or an early 69-72 TR6. :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 January 2019, 12:57:52 »

Just before 3pm this afternoon I was going into the Ashby area of Scunny when I saw emerging from the premises of the local Honda car dealership a beautiful[at least it looked in great condition]Triumph TR4.Mind you I think the driver must be a bit of a softie as he had the top up ::)

All the drivers I see of these classic sports cars, and the majority of modern ones, seem to be male, in their 50's or 60's, with grey hair, if any, blowing in the wind!!

Obviously something has 'reduced' in their lives so they have to resurrect something else from their youthful days!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2019, 13:02:15 »

All the drivers I see of these classic sports cars, and the majority of modern ones, seem to be male, in their 50's or 60's, with grey hair, if any, blowing in the wind!!

Obviously something has 'reduced' in their lives so they have to resurrect something else from their youthful days!! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)
There's an old codger round her who drives his brand new 911 around at 28mph.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2019, 13:05:21 »

Are you suggesting there is more dangling than thrusting going on, Lizzie? :-* :-* :-* :-*

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 January 2019, 17:07:55 »

TR5 for me in the same body........ with the 2.5 straight six and for the time 'space age' fuel injection.

Sadly the old Lucas Injection wasn't the most reliable though,stiil a lovely car and I would prefer one over a TR6
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 January 2019, 17:32:00 »

Here's one for you:

It, or something very like it, passed me in Alton the other day. Did a bit of a double take, TBH. :o

I know people have to find things to do with RX8s once the engine grenades, but... Words fail me. ;D

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 January 2019, 07:10:20 »

I know of someone with an RX8 that is fitting a Cavalier 1.7TD lump with an auto box to it :o

2boxerdogs

« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2019, 07:54:43 »

Have to be an AC Cobra for me , basic brutal & beautiful.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 January 2019, 08:15:30 »

Why not... 8)

https://goo.gl/images/KJypqT

Quite an interesting story behind it too :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #16 on: 24 January 2019, 08:50:10 »

Have to be an AC Cobra for me , basic brutal & beautiful.

If you have a spare couple of mil, you can have an "original".
£80k will get you an aluminium bodied 100% replica from Dave Brookes
£20-50k will get you a plastic fantastic any-percent-you-desire replica from most major kit manufacturers depending on spec (cheaper usually means weedier engine - under £20k and you'll still find the odd Pinto-powered one!)

My plastic fantastic is still in bits, sadly ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 January 2019, 10:04:23 »

Pinto powered Cobra = rong!  ::)

aaronjb

« Reply #18 on: 24 January 2019, 10:21:55 »

They're pretty rare now, but very occasionally someone will pop up having bought a Pinto powered car or a Ford V6 powered car.. mostly it's Rover V8 in the cheaper ones (Pilgrim) now and Chev 350 or LSx in everything else except the more "original" kits that are Ford FE or Cleveland/Windsor powered.

Except in the US, where Ford Modular V8s seem to be the engine of choice for most (except alu bodied Kirkhams that are FE powered, of course).

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 January 2019, 12:57:12 »

It can't have been much harder or more expensive to find a Rover V8 than a Pinto for a LONG time now, and they are probably lighter!

A mate of mine built a Tojero with a relatively standard Rover V8. It wasn't breathtakingly fast but it had a lovely V8 burble. I can't understand why you'd want a Cobra with a 4 pot drone instead. :-\ As to the Ford V6.. :-X

aaronjb

« Reply #20 on: 24 January 2019, 13:32:19 »

The ones that tend to pop up with those engines all seem to have been built in the 1980s or early 1990s; back then I guess the RV8 was still more expensive and it was really possible to do a "budget" build that was probably £10k or so..

..it's not even possible to build a basic RV8 powered Pilgrim for under £30k now, I don't think.. brightwork will set you back nearly £3k alone!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 January 2019, 13:51:22 »

Ouch! Anyway, what is this brightwork of which you speak, and how much power do you need before you have to start bolting on extra ballast like that?  ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #22 on: 24 January 2019, 14:11:58 »

Ouch! Anyway, what is this brightwork of which you speak, and how much power do you need before you have to start bolting on extra ballast like that?  ;)

Well, part of that cost is the windscreen ;D I would say "and you can't do without that" except you can, of course..

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 January 2019, 00:45:00 »

https://www.texas-speed.com/c-3207-ls1-turn-key-engine-packages.aspx

This is where I would start if a 427 was unavailable
Laying a rubber road.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
Laying a rubber road.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 January 2019, 08:36:45 »

It was once said that Cobras at speed on the M1 was one of the reasons for the introduction of the 70mph limit.Whether there was any truth in the claim I don't know,but certainly not a bad bit of publicity for a sports car.They say it's the most copied car in the world,not bad for what started as a 2L car from a tiny manufacturer.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.