Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting oddity  (Read 1055 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Starting oddity
« on: 19 March 2019, 17:08:53 »

When the engine is cold I can start the car easily even if stood beside it reaching in through the open door/widow[I sometimes do this when I'm tinkering]when it's warm turning the key does nothing,no click/whirr/other noise unless I press the brake pedal in which case it starts as quickly as it does when cold.When it's hot it won't start at all[again no noises]unless I put it in neutral when it starts just as quickly as in the other scenarios.Any ideas what could be causing this?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Starting oddity
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2019, 17:54:27 »

Sounds like the microswitch thingy that detects you are in neutral or park before it allows you to start is playing up ...the brake function works the interlock on the gear selector, so might well have just enough of a mechanical input to get it to work when warm, selecting neutral uses a different micrswitch thingy I think ... which is why it might work when hot :(

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2019, 19:15:37 »

2.5 petrol manual saloon

I recommend you do not lean in through the window and start the engine. I did this some years ago, to my horror the handbrake was not hard on and the car was in first gear. Engine started and the car set off on its own. I tried to open the driver's door and clamber in; got half way in but realised it was heading towards a gate aperture and my legs were hanging and at risk of being smashed into the gate post, so I rolled out again and watched helplessly.  The car easily demolished 3 feet of wall, entered my neighbour's property, crossed a parking space, and was finally brought to a halt by a sunken footpath.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2019, 19:44:06 »

If it were a manual I'd possibly agree with you-although with the manual V70 I have I always make sure it's in neutral before trying to start it regardless-but in the case of the Omega it's an auto and when I'm tinkering with it it's always nose in in the garage so at most would travel a foot or so before hitting the back wall.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2019, 22:27:07 »

I would say mr entwood above is on the right tracks re the selector stick .a totally dead starter not even a click but will work if in neutral rather than park .sounds like the alignment (or wear /dirty contacts) in the gear-lever inhibitor switch.located on the side of the gearbox. These are known to play up occasionally anyway so might be worth taking off and doing a full clean up .see the guide re aligning on refitting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.