Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing tyres  (Read 1578 times)

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
Mixing tyres
« on: 23 June 2009, 10:23:18 »

Having run Falken FK452 tyres all round for the last couple of years I found the wear rate quite high and a bit prone to tramlining, so on my last visit to WIM I had Bridgestone Potenza SO2's fitted to the front and found them to be very good. I'd like to have Bridgestones fitted to the rear now but I only need 1 new rear tyre as the other was replaced due to a nail in the sidewall about 6 months ago.
My question is can you mix tyres on the same axle as I've always been lead to believe you shouldn't.
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: Mixing tyres
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2009, 10:25:49 »

well you see lot of mixed axle's....but I wouldn't, always stick to matched axle's and prefereably matched car.

2 new, you have the same wear rate as well, iirc 1 new, 1 older tyre can cause false abs alerts.

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2009, 10:32:44 »

well you see lot of mixed axle's....but I wouldn't, always stick to matched axle's and prefereably matched car.

2 new, you have the same wear rate as well, iirc 1 new, 1 older tyre can cause false abs alerts.

Hmmm........trouble is, having 2 new is going to set me back around £300 instead of £150. :-/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2009, 10:36:50 »

Hmmm........trouble is, having 2 new is going to set me back around £300 instead of £150. :-/

Keep it for the next time you get a puncture?

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2009, 11:09:03 »

well finally somebody with tramlining issues with Falkens, i have 912s and find them quite bad for this esp. on hot days of late. Doesnt seem so bad in cooler temps/at night. Cem recommended Bridgestone potenza and you obviously find them better. Almost twice the price though.

To answer your q best i can. I would not fit 2 different makes per axle. Diff. construction and grip levels can cause all sorts of strange issues.

For the sake of remaining life of one tire, esp. one that that tramlines, i would def change both. You could always ebay the part worn falken.

Having said that, cash always dictates.

How are the Bridgestones wearing? Can you tell yet? Looks like my 912s are on course for about 15k. Maybe a little less.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2009, 11:18:20 »

I've never had an issue mixing tyres, as long as they're all the same size, ratio, speed rating, and so on....

Having good tread and a good tyre is more important than the make, IMHO, and I've never noticed any handling issues with mixed tyres.

That said - I usually replace mine in pairs or 4's....  :y

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2009, 11:41:32 »

well finally somebody with tramlining issues with Falkens, i have 912s and find them quite bad for this esp. on hot days of late. Doesnt seem so bad in cooler temps/at night. Cem recommended Bridgestone potenza and you obviously find them better. Almost twice the price though.

To answer your q best i can. I would not fit 2 different makes per axle. Diff. construction and grip levels can cause all sorts of strange issues.

For the sake of remaining life of one tire, esp. one that that tramlines, i would def change both. You could always ebay the part worn falken.

How are the Bridgestones wearing? Can you tell yet? Looks like my 912s are on course for about 15k. Maybe a little less.

The Bridgestones have been on for about 3-4 months and no sign of rapid/excess wear. I find them so much better than the Falkens too, tramlining virtually eliminated and the grip, especially on the turn-in, is superb. They were actually hardly any dearer than Falkens at WIM. I paid £103.50 each incl. VAT and fitting for the 235x40xZR17 Bridgestones. Trouble is, the rear one's are going too be a tad more expensive as they are 265x40xZR17.

Still undecided on replacing one or both rears. :-/

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2009, 11:57:01 »

Looks like the decision's been made for me. Just been on the phone to Blackboots/WIM and Bridgestone SO2's are now discontinued and they cant get Bridgestone's in 265x40x17. They can do me a Falken FK452 for £117.00 incl. VAT and fitting which ain't too bad, so just the one is going on.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #8 on: 23 June 2009, 12:00:59 »

The Bridgestones have been on for about 3-4 months and no sign of rapid/excess wear. I find them so much better than the Falkens too, tramlining virtually eliminated and the grip, especially on the turn-in, is superb. They were actually hardly any dearer than Falkens at WIM. I paid £103.50 each incl. VAT and fitting for the 235x40xZR17 Bridgestones. Trouble is, the rear one's are going too be a tad more expensive as they are 265x40xZR17.

imho if you are not trying track days 265 is too wide and will consume too much fuel.. and on a hot day they will nearly stick the car to the road.. :-/

and if the budget is tight why not go for the same size as fronts, the price will be ok then..

and with potenzas you wont need that wide size..

I use 215/55/16 and the drivers on the road dont think I'm a slow driver ;D
« Last Edit: 23 June 2009, 12:05:22 by cem_devecioglu »

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 June 2009, 12:16:19 »

imho if you are not trying track days 265 is too wide and will consume too much fuel.. and on a hot day they will nearly stick the car to the road.. :-/

and if the budget is tight why not go for the same size as fronts, the price will be ok then..

Thanks Cem, but the rear tyre size is down to the larger 10J Azev rims I have on the back. 265's are the smallest width tyre that will fit that size rim!.........and yes, the back end sticks to the road like glue on a hot day!! ::) ;)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #10 on: 23 June 2009, 12:22:22 »

Thanks Cem, but the rear tyre size is down to the larger 10J Azev rims I have on the back. 265's are the smallest width tyre that will fit that size rim!.........and yes, the back end sticks to the road like glue on a hot day!! ::) ;)

:y

kingycos2

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 June 2009, 19:03:17 »

Bridgestone potenza S02 were probably best tyres on the market a year ago, they don't make them any more and have been replaced by the S03 but only in certain tyre sizes. Here is something I think about when buying tyres, Would you buy your kids one shoe? Always 2's or 4's, however everyone is entilled to do what they want with tyres, but will be no probs as long as same size, ratio etc etc.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 June 2009, 23:04:46 »

I think it depends how you drive. If you're not relying 100% of the grip available you won't notice one tyre on an axle only giving you 90%. Replace it with something of a similar performance level so the handling doesn't go completely to pot and it'll make no odds for relatively sensible road driving.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

barclay03

• Intermediate Member
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 June 2009, 10:46:57 »

I dont usually mix on an axle unless its a cheap runaround.

That being said, i was skint when the MV6 needed new tyres so on he back i have a pirelli and a bridgestone - 2 good gripping tyres in their own right, but trying to put the power down is hard as they arent matched and it struggles a bit, one side seems to grip a bit more, which isnt great fun in the corners when you dont mean it  ;D

For anything with a bit of grunt, id stick to same tyres on an axle. As said, can even keep the newish tyre as a spare or sell it on  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.