Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking to buy an Omega am I crazy  (Read 1621 times)

kbfern

• View Profile
Looking to buy an Omega am I crazy
« on: 11 August 2009, 22:21:08 »

Hi Guys can you please help.

I am looking to buy a 2000-2002 Omega Automatic and have seen a few in Autotrader that look decent motors (not viewed any yet) they have low miles (70-90k) and most say full history some are dealer cars some private for between £995-£1295.

I will only be doing around 6-8k miles a year but need something that will be reliable and that's the problem.

I have a Vauxhall Meriva (54 plate) as another vehicle, had it for almost 3 yrs and no problems in 20k miles.

As you guys on here are pretty much all Omega owners do you think a 2.2 auto will make a decent 2nd car.

I have owned an Omega around 9yrs ago it was an N plate 2.0 auto and that went wrong (cambelt) which cost me £1k to fix.So how is reliability with newer cars as long as cambelt has been replaced and regular servicing been carried out.

Hope you can help as the Omegas certainly represent value for money as long as reliability is not going to be an issue as I don't want to be putting my hand in my pocket to often other than an annual service.

Cheers guys

webby23

• Omega Baron
  • Nottingham
  • MV6
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to buy an Omega am I crazy
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2009, 22:22:53 »

2 Omegas.......3 years.......been Poland in the first one and Normandy in the current one......neither have ever missed a beat.....just make sure you buy a good one and keep it serviced...........!!!

:y
« Last Edit: 11 August 2009, 22:23:51 by webby23 »
The only certainty of life is death. Live your life and enjoy it. The clock is ticking

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2009, 22:32:30 »

I would seriously consider a V6, 4 cylinder models are a bit on the under powered side, there's not a massive difference in fuel economy between them .... obvioulsy there are insurance differences  :y

Big Fra

• Omega Knight
  • Motherwell
  • I will ride with miggy pride once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2009, 22:43:46 »

Yeah, get one.

I had a cheapie 2.5 manual reflection special ed.
£300.

Had it for about 18 months.

One of the best cars I have ever owned, plus, if you dont mind a wee tinker with your cars, you are definately on the right site.

kbfern

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2009, 22:46:44 »

Thanks for the quick reply,the servicing ain't the problem it's making sure it's a gud un that's more difficult. :)

I have been thinking about getting a second car for a few weeks and have been looking in Autotrader at 8-10yr old cars for around £1500.I started with Rover 75's then Audi A4 and VW Passat Saab and Volvo.I have sat looking at Autotrader thinking they look OK till you look into the forums and most of these cars seem to have a fair amount of reliability issues.

Obviously no 8+yr old used car is going to be totally trouble free but the frightening thing is I don't want to spend £1k+ on the car and then having to spend lots of dosh putting faults right.

Which bought me back to Vauxhall which does not have a great reputation for reliabilty.But the reason for me considering an Omega is because I have a 5yr old meriva which in the 3 yrs I have had it has been totally reliable.

My Daughter has a 9 yr old Fiat Punto which most people would not think of as a reliable make but she has had it for 5yrs and apart from new tyres/battery/exhaust it has not missed a beat so bad rep is not always reliable.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2009, 22:50:05 »

generally, most cars are reliable if proper preventative maintence is done
Grumpy old man

kbfern

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 August 2009, 22:52:27 »

Andy

I would consider a V6 from the petrol issue as I don't do to many miles, not really worried about power as I am not a boy racer but what about maintainance costs and reliabilty.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 August 2009, 23:05:32 »

Andy

I would consider a V6 from the petrol issue as I don't do to many miles, not really worried about power as I am not a boy racer but what about maintainance costs and reliabilty.

As Jamie/The Boy says above, if you maintain it it will repay you by being (mostly  ::)) reliable.  ;) ;) You don't need to be a Boy Racer , but it's nice to have the power to be one if you wanted to be!  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 11 August 2009, 23:06:49 by Andy_B »

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 August 2009, 23:11:38 »

Andy

As Jamie/The Boy says above, if you maintain it it will repay you by being (mostly  ::)) reliable.  ;) ;) You don't need to be a Boy Racer , but it's nice to have the power to be one if you wanted to be!  ;D ;D
;D ;D ;D
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 August 2009, 23:40:40 »

Andy

;D ;D ;D

What did I say?  ::)  ::)
 ;D   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D :y

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 August 2009, 00:16:01 »

Indeed KB, I know of one, '03 2.2 CDX auto with leather, full Vx history 80K odd, star sliver long tax and test ::) ::) ::) :y

kbfern

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 August 2009, 08:13:24 »

That one sounds nice Zulu what sort of price is it and where abouts in the country :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.