Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: New MOT.  (Read 2774 times)

amigov6

New MOT.
« on: 06 August 2009, 22:05:16 »

No, not the Beastie, she's safe 'til Feb. But the Cortina went through yesterday. Advised on play in the steering rack, split joint at the top strut mount, & 2 bits of welding, one on a bottom leg mount & one between the rear of the sill & rear wheel arch, both tiny.
   Not bad for a £595 30 year old motor that i enjoy driving & show at local events. :y

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
Re: New MOT.
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2009, 22:33:58 »

Not bad indeed Amigo :y :y

JWDF

« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2009, 00:49:17 »

No, not the Beastie, she's safe 'til Feb. But the Cortina went through yesterday. Advised on play in the steering rack, split joint at the top strut mount, & 2 bits of welding, one on a bottom leg mount & one between the rear of the sill & rear wheel arch, both tiny.
   Not bad for a £595 30 year old motor that i enjoy driving & show at local events. :y
Well done Amigo  :y
braught back memories there first car i owned was  2.0ltr gl Roman Bronze black vynil roof green window tints and goodyear tyres with goodyear painted white extra spots and fogs was 19 years old at the time :)  :) :) still remember the reg AGA 86S  ;D
cheers Amigo
rgds Jim-F
ps forgot remember those wheel rim inserts jist klicked on  8-)

p j morgan

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2009, 01:27:22 »

what cortina is it guy?i had a l reg 20.ltr gxl it was a fantastic motor silver with a black vinyl roof and black leather interior. pete :y

amigov6

« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2009, 20:41:13 »

what cortina is it guy?i had a l reg 20.ltr gxl it was a fantastic motor silver with a black vinyl roof and black leather interior. pete :y
That would be a Mk3 Pete, I had a few of those but they fetch some coin now! :y

amigov6

« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2009, 21:45:29 »

braught back memories there first car i owned was  2.0ltr gl Roman Bronze black vynil roof green window tints and goodyear tyres with goodyear painted white extra spots and fogs was 19 years old at the time :)  :) :) still remember the reg AGA 86S  ;D
cheers Amigo
rgds Jim-F

Yes i do remember the chome wheel inserts but this one's got pukka wolfies which suit her. She's a 1.6 GL but has the twin choke carb & 4 branch manifold fitted to wake her up a bit. Never been a rep car, 53,000 miles & no diff whine!!!
    I'd only let her go to finance a Mk3...mmm   8-)

JWDF

« Reply #6 on: 09 August 2009, 17:51:19 »

cheers Amigo
rgds Jim-F

Yes i do remember the chome wheel inserts but this one's got pukka wolfies which suit her. She's a 1.6 GL but has the twin choke carb & 4 branch manifold fitted to wake her up a bit. Never been a rep car, 53,000 miles & no diff whine!!!

Car looks Fantastic  mate  :y

30 years old "Wow" 8-) great to see its being looked after :y

a Mk3  ;D ;D ;D---2000E 8-)------ :) :)

Cheers Jim-F

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #7 on: 09 August 2009, 20:07:31 »

cheers Amigo
rgds Jim-F

That Mk4 looks superb Amigo :y :y :y :y :y :y.  I had a 1.6L Estate in that colour, which if I recall correctly was Sahara Beige 8-) 8-) 8-)
« Last Edit: 09 August 2009, 20:07:46 by Lizzie_Zoom »

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 August 2009, 20:08:13 »

Good stuff mate  :y

What a lovely looking example  :y
« Last Edit: 09 August 2009, 20:09:41 by LSG_1 »
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 August 2009, 20:12:57 »

Mate of mine had one of those kicking about his workshop with a 2.9 Cossie V6... looked far sheddier than yours though :y
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 August 2009, 20:13:53 »

Mate of mine had one of those kicking about his workshop with a 2.9 Cossie V6... looked far sheddier than yours though :y
I remember you saying.
I bet that dun half shift  :o
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

mars

• Omega Baron
  • Cannock, Staffordshire
    • Vivaro Sportive BMW 330d
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 August 2009, 22:24:13 »

I had a 1981 X Reg Mk5 2.3 Ghia V6 (manual) for 3 and a half years from 1991 to 1994 in Crystal Green metallic. Hardly spent any money on it and it looked mint. Finally sold it my brother in law and bought a 1982 Y Reg Capri 2.8 Injection which I also had for over 3 years and spent very little money on. Fond memories of both cars :) :) :) :y
There is no such thing as bad beer, some beers are better than others.

p j morgan

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 August 2009, 23:04:20 »

nice looking motor guy !mine was the mark 3 with the leather seats and alloys it was the 20.ltr  silver with the black  vynl roof it was a fast motor .yours is a mk 4 or 5 isnt it mate ?what has she got on the clock mate :y

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 August 2009, 23:19:48 »

cheers Amigo
rgds Jim-F

I have 2 of those which could be for sale, off MK1 Cortina GT.  Had 4 but 2 were stolen on a trailer I had them on >:(

amigov6

« Reply #14 on: 10 August 2009, 21:24:05 »

A few more piccies. She's a 1980 Mk5. I've tidied the wire hanging down the transmission tunnel, fitted a period radio cassette (would love an original Ford push button as fitted to the GL) Look closely at the first pic & you'll see a poor paint match on the front end compared to the rest of the car which is original not just new paint but a bad match. Yes Lizzie i think it is sahara  but you need paint codes nowadays. She's not concourse, had new front wings, sills, front valance & rear wheel arch sections welded in before i bought her & still has a solid boot floor (rare thing with Tinas) I pamper my cars, can't help it, maybe i love them too much but it's worth it in my book. 8-) :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #15 on: 10 August 2009, 21:46:23 »

Those pictures just take me right back Amigo, and I can still smell the plastic newness of the cars fresh from Dagenham!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :-* :-*

That engine was so easy to work on as you could get to all sides easily, replace spark plugs, leads, and everything else simply........a straightforward carburetor.........plus the big bonus........no bloody sensors and complicated electronics!! :D :D :D :D :y :y :y

PS That engine compartment is a credit to you!! :y :y :y :y
« Last Edit: 10 August 2009, 21:47:51 by Lizzie_Zoom »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 August 2009, 21:48:53 »

That engine was so easy to work on as you could get to all sides easily, replace spark plugs, leads, and everything else simply........a straightforward carburetor.........plus the big bonus........no bloody sensors and complicated electronics!! :D :D :D :D :y :y :y

I can think of 1  minus though.

Points!! Best thing car makers ever did was to get shut of them! PITA  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  :y  :y
« Last Edit: 10 August 2009, 21:49:08 by Andy_B »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 August 2009, 21:50:41 »

Those pictures just take me right back Amigo, and I can still smell the plastic newness of the cars fresh from Dagenham!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :-* :-* ......

I sat in Guy's car a few months back .... and you're right about the smell of a Ford. :-?  ;) It smelt exactly the same as mine had done all those years before.  :y  :y  :y  :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #18 on: 10 August 2009, 21:54:41 »

I can think of 1  minus though.

Points!! Best thing car makers ever did was to get shut of them! PITA  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  :y  :y

Of course in the modern age they are obsolete :y  However at the time I never had a problem with them or the condensor.  Providing you replaced them at regular service intervals they were actually no problem.  I would accept though that damp was a problem for all the electrics under the hood, and WD40 used to be used a great deal!! :D :D :D :D ;) ;)

amigov6

« Reply #19 on: 10 August 2009, 22:07:37 »

Points could be troublesome if neglected but you could clean them up enough to splutter home.
   Can't do that with a crankcase sensor! ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 August 2009, 22:15:10 »

Points could be troublesome if neglected but you could clean them up enough to splutter home.
   Can't do that with a crankcase sensor! ::)

Very true!

I was talking about car with points in general ...... I wasn't picking on just your car!  ;)  ;) ;) :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 August 2009, 23:23:42 »

Only one thing missing from that engine bay, Guy....

A pair of Webers. :-*

;)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

amigov6

« Reply #22 on: 10 August 2009, 23:35:47 »

No worries Andy.!!! KW never saw a tina with twin Webbers but Mk2 RS 2000 Eccies have the battery in the boot to accommodate them which is cool.
   If you look again she does have the 4 branch manifold & twin choke from the GT plus the pancake filter. Not a 2.0 but equivalent to a 1.8 sierra which is quite enough for the old girl, i usually only drive her on the first barrel, i've got the Beastie to misbehave in!!!! ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 August 2009, 00:22:15 »

KW never saw a tina with twin Webbers

I know, it's just every Pinto I've seen for a long time has been in a kit car, with a pair of DCOEs.  :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 August 2009, 00:35:54 »

No worries Andy.!!! KW never saw a tina with twin Webbers but Mk2 RS 2000 Eccies have the battery in the boot to accommodate them which is cool.
   If you look again she does have the 4 branch manifold & twin choke from the GT plus the pancake filter. Not a 2.0 but equivalent to a 1.8 sierra which is quite enough for the old girl, i usually only drive her on the first barrel, i've got the Beastie to misbehave in!!!! ::)

He might be thinking, Twin choke as fitted, after market to many (45 rings a bell)  Mk 1/2 Cortina of which I have seen a few......... :y :y

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11 August 2009, 17:36:47 »

Mine was a mk3 1.6 gxl , white with a black vynil roof. early dash with the 4 gauges  in the center consul & slopey glove box. i loved that car and i thought & till do that i looked the biz. :y
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

amigov6

« Reply #26 on: 12 August 2009, 00:26:53 »

Mine was a mk3 1.6 gxl , white with a black vynil roof. early dash with the 4 gauges  in the center consul & slopey glove box. i loved that car and i thought & till do that i looked the biz. :y
Hi Gary. I'm after another Mk3 but has to be the slopey dash (pre facelift)...the real Mk3. Sadly they were the worst for rust & life on mars did'nt help.
    Suddenly every bucket barn find was worth a kings ransom. Luckily that's easing off now & i don't nee a GT/ GXL just a 1600 L with the x-flow lump will do me. 8-)

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 August 2009, 01:06:14 »

... fitted a period radio cassette (would love an original Ford push button as fitted to the GL)

I think I may of had one of them in the garage a couple of years ago! Think I either binned it or striped it for parts, but not sure :'( If I ever do come across it, its yours Guy!   :)
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

amigov6

« Reply #28 on: 12 August 2009, 16:45:03 »

... fitted a period radio cassette (would love an original Ford push button as fitted to the GL)

I think I may of had one of them in the garage a couple of years ago! Think I either binned it or striped it for parts, but not sure :'( If I ever do come across it, its yours Guy!   :)
Cheers Inspector Gadget. If you still have it i'd be made up but i'm guessing you turned it into a solar powered cheese grater or summats!!!
   Hope all's well & say hello to big boy for me!!! 8-) ;D :y

amigov6

« Reply #29 on: 12 August 2009, 16:59:50 »

He might be thinking, Twin choke as fitted, after market to many (45 rings a bell)  Mk 1/2 Cortina of which I have seen a few......... :y :y
I know what he means Vamps, he's a kit car fan & 2 ltr pintos are very tuneable with BIG carbs & breathers everywhere. I used to banger race on an oval circuit down south & one of the other classes (non contact) was full of early RWD Toyota starlets with "breathed on" 2.0 Pintos. They used to fly round! :y
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.