Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning Breathers on 2.2 ?  (Read 4749 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning Breathers on 2.2 ?
« Reply #15 on: 29 August 2006, 10:52:00 »

Be interesting to see how clogged they are, if they are really really full of crap i'll clean it all up & then do another oil change. I still have 2 filters and a full 5 litre bottle of oil...

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 August 2006, 11:56:13 »

Keep an eye on the rear cover breather mine has had a problem having had a (flame trap) oil seperator fitted the clips that were used were crap and who ever fitted it cut the pipe wrong helping towards a regular leaking rear breather, re cut the pipe so hopefully this has sort of solved one of my issues I think I may need to invest in a new rocker cover gasket and some proper sealant, was gonna do it this weekend just gone but traced the oil leak I think to the rear breather.

Fingers Crossed.
« Last Edit: 29 August 2006, 11:57:18 by nixoro »

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 August 2006, 13:43:54 »

Keep an eye on the rear cover breather mine has had a problem having had a (flame trap) oil seperator fitted the clips that were used were crap and who ever fitted it cut the pipe wrong helping towards a regular leaking rear breather, re cut the pipe so hopefully this has sort of solved one of my issues I think I may need to invest in a new rocker cover gasket and some proper sealant, was gonna do it this weekend just gone but traced the oil leak I think to the rear breather.

Fingers Crossed.

2.2 shouldn't need a flame trap, if you change the oil regularly.
I like red cars

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 August 2006, 13:46:19 »

Fingers Crossed.

Fair point although I always thought they would be needed on both the 2.0 and the 2.2

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 August 2006, 13:48:59 »

Fingers Crossed.

Fair point although I always thought they would be needed on both the 2.0 and the 2.2

I'm quoting Mark on this one, my car has done 37K over 4.1/2 years with at least 2 oil changes a year.

Breathers and throttle body were quite clean at 35K, first time clean.
I like red cars

mar892ree

• Northampton
  • if it dont undo, hit it wiv an hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 August 2006, 18:16:49 »

Tunnie, you may need to push or pull something through the two left hand side ( rocker box to throttle body ) breather pipes.

If these havent been cleaned before the smaller one of the two may well be VERY blocked ! Carb cleaner alone will not shift all the crap inside, so something like a coat hanger ( straightened out of course ) with a bit of rag secured on the end of it, will help scrape out all the crap ! You will be amazed just how blocked this smaller breather can get !

I'm not contraditing an earlier post , but i really dont think its nessasary to remove the throttle body at all !

All the back / crabon build up on the butterfly can be cleaned with throttle body in situ ! Although prelonged squirts of carb cleaner can form a nice puddle of solvent in the bottom of the intake housing , and make for a nice big bang when you re-start the engine  :D :D :D.

Also check and clean the air intake pipe work ( black plastic assy, that you uncliped form the top of your throttle body ) as this can get quite messed up too especially in that dead ended chamber between the mass air flow sensor and the throttle body !

I's also like to know why is it the 2.2's seem to get a bit dirty round the throttle body, oil /petrol mix !
Maybe because of the breather pipes , who knows !

Mark

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 August 2006, 18:26:27 »

I's also like to know why is it the 2.2's seem to get a bit dirty round the throttle body, oil /petrol mix !

Mark

Mine hasn't since I removed the throttle body and replaced the gasket.
I like red cars

mar892ree

• Northampton
  • if it dont undo, hit it wiv an hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 August 2006, 18:29:29 »

Hehehhehehe hahahhahah Nice one AA, so should i now remove the throtle body  LLOLLL  ::)

Mark

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 August 2006, 18:37:39 »

Hehehhehehe hahahhahah Nice one AA, so should i now remove the throtle body  LLOLLL  ::)

Mark

Correct.... ;)
I like red cars

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 August 2006, 18:42:22 »

Tunnie, you may need to push or pull something through the two left hand side ( rocker box to throttle body ) breather pipes.

If these havent been cleaned before the smaller one of the two may well be VERY blocked ! Carb cleaner alone will not shift all the crap inside, so something like a coat hanger ( straightened out of course ) with a bit of rag secured on the end of it, will help scrape out all the crap ! You will be amazed just how blocked this smaller breather can get !

I'm not contraditing an earlier post , but i really dont think its nessasary to remove the throttle body at all !

All the back / crabon build up on the butterfly can be cleaned with throttle body in situ ! Although prelonged squirts of carb cleaner can form a nice puddle of solvent in the bottom of the intake housing , and make for a nice big bang when you re-start the engine  :D :D :D.

Also check and clean the air intake pipe work ( black plastic assy, that you uncliped form the top of your throttle body ) as this can get quite messed up too especially in that dead ended chamber between the mass air flow sensor and the throttle body !

Mark

Cheers for that.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I am going to give the whole system a good clean, was going to do it this morning but it started raining  >:(

I was thinking of running something though the pipes myself, maybe a rag or something. But a wire coat hanger would do the job...

I'll post up piccys of my pipes as well, when i clean them up.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #25 on: 29 August 2006, 19:04:03 »

I am going to give the whole system a good clean, was going to do it this morning but it started raining  >:(

Surely you mean the afternoon  ;D
Starting work at 5 minutes before midday....doesnt count as the morning  ::)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 August 2006, 19:45:51 »

How on earth would you know if was raining this morning? ::)
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 August 2006, 19:55:41 »

I am going to give the whole system a good clean, was going to do it this morning but it started raining
Raining in garage?  ;D
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29 August 2006, 20:22:59 »

How on earth would you know if was raining this morning? ::)

I heard it on the windows.... ;)

And if its raining it means I will get wet on the way to the garage....  plus i really could't be bothered today!  ;) ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 August 2006, 20:24:29 »

i really could't be bothered today!  ;) ;D
I suspected that was the case. Still, you were a busy boy on my project this weekend. And possible next weekend as well ;)
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.