Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: replacement exhaust  (Read 2645 times)

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
replacement exhaust
« on: 09 September 2006, 18:03:49 »

Hi guys.  The exhaust on my 2.5ltr has finally given up and I'm trying to decide between the VX dealer (over £300 for the three parts) or a Walker replacement at £170.  

What is you experience - I've had aftermarket exhausts before on another car ( Bosal) and they were really awful and I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Any thoughts you guys have would be much appreciated as I seem to be running out of luck at the moment (new discs pads, shocks and rear springs in the last two weeks!)

parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Re: replacement exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2006, 18:07:00 »

Hi Jonathan, welcome to the forum.

I think you may find the recommendation on this site is for a genuine Vx exhaust.

If you hang around a bit, others with more knowledge than myself will be along.
I like red cars

STMO123

« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2006, 18:26:14 »

Hi Jonathon and welcome. You dont say in your post how old your car is and what condition it is in.

I think the very basic answer to your question is that Vx exhausts are by far the best, but, obviously, the most expensive. So, if your car is worth it, go for genuine Vx every time. If your car has seen better days, you may not want to pay top price for an exhaust. You pays your money...........

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2006, 19:13:37 »

Johnathon,

Ring AutoVaux, details here:

http://www.autovaux.co.uk/Contact.asp

They sell genuine Vauxhall parts at trade prices, make sure you ask for genuine GM parts.

Get them delivered and put on by your local guy.

For my 2.2 cat back Vx parts is £200

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2006, 09:13:23 »

On Omegas the quality of exhausts goes in this order.

Genuine Vx. Very good quality, double walled so quiet too. Will last way beyond the 2 year guarantee period.

Bosal. Good aftermarket manufacturer and maker of many OE systems. However, their stuff is not as good, and often only single walled.

Timax/Walker. This is the stuff Kw*k F*t and other well known exhaust companies will sell.
You might as well make an exhaust yourself out of toilet roll holders and tin foil!
Truly awful kit. Cheaper than the rest and for a damn good reason!

What part of the country are you in?

Trade club price for a full (2 centre sections and back box) genuine system is around £230. If you are anywhere near Derby I could meet up with you and get the system at TC price for you.

Be careful with Autovaux. What they quote as a genuine Vx system will probably be a Bosal system.
The Administrator.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2006, 09:31:55 »

Genuine Vx. Very good quality, double walled so quiet too. Will last way beyond the 2 year guarantee period.

Bosal. Good aftermarket manufacturer and maker of many OE systems. However, their stuff is not as good, and often only single walled.

Timax/Walker. This is the stuff Kw*k F*t and other well known exhaust companies will sell.
You might as well make an exhaust yourself out of toilet roll holders and tin foil!

Trade club price for a full (2 centre sections and back box) genuine system is around £230. If you are anywhere near Derby I could meet up with you and get the system at TC price for you.

Be careful with Autovaux. What they quote as a genuine Vx system will probably be a Bosal system.

Sound advice Dave. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
I like red cars

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2006, 10:46:34 »

I think mine lasted 6 years and almost 100k miles, there is no record in the service history of mine being changed.

Its still the GM on it, so 6 years and 100k miles? for £200 i'll get another GM zorst  ;)

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2006, 12:18:51 »

THanks all of you for your response.  I'll go for the Vx kit.  The idea of tin foil and toilet roll holders sums up my previous experience (10 years ago) and I just don't want to go there again.

To answer a few questions in the thread: car is 1999 with 50k on the clock.  Makes me a bit envious to see tunnie get 100k from his zorst - I guess I'm just unlucky...  

laidback - thanks for the offer.  I'm near coventry so not far away from Derby.  I'm going to try to blag TC prices tomorrow but if that doesn't work I'll be in touch.  

Thanks once again guys
parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2006, 12:45:16 »

Jonathan,

50k miles is fine really from an exhaust, it all depends what kind of journeys you do. As i said i got nearly 100k out of mine, its on 96k at the moment, but blowing slightly.

I have seen ex-police 5 Series BMW's with 230k miles with its orginal exhaust!!!  :o - It just never cooled down, the heating up and cooling down is what does the damage. So if you do lots of short runs, it will shorten the life of the exhaust.

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2006, 13:48:16 »

Great choice of words, except I think the whole exercise was to get 'lack of sound' advice! ;D ;D ;D

mr des

• limerick, ireland
  • Doh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 September 2006, 14:31:56 »

dont rule out the scrappy i got a stainless steel oem exhaust for GF primera for buttons it was brand new too
i want to shine in the eye of orion but i drove my sole through the black hole

EddieX

• Halstead Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 September 2006, 21:35:41 »

THanks all of you for your response.  I'll go for the Vx kit.  The idea of tin foil and toilet roll holders sums up my previous experience (10 years ago) and I just don't want to go there again.

To answer a few questions in the thread: car is 1999 with 50k on the clock.  Makes me a bit envious to see tunnie get 100k from his zorst - I guess I'm just unlucky...  

laidback - thanks for the offer.  I'm near coventry so not far away from Derby.  I'm going to try to blag TC prices tomorrow but if that doesn't work I'll be in touch.  

Thanks once again guys

Thats interesting, mine needs a new exhaust and it is 7 years and 75k old. It looks like years are more relevant than miles.

Also, I've been quoted £275 plus VAT. at a VX dealer and it said "trade club" on the cover of the book he was reading from. Does VX think we are all mega rich in Essex and set prices accordingly?  >:(

Eddie.
"Onwards and Downwards"

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 September 2006, 22:56:58 »

Hi guys.  The exhaust on my 2.5ltr has finally given up and I'm trying to decide between the VX dealer (over £300 for the three parts) or a Walker replacement at £170.  

What is you experience - I've had aftermarket exhausts before on another car ( Bosal) and they were really awful and I don't want to make the same mistake again.

Any thoughts you guys have would be much appreciated as I seem to be running out of luck at the moment (new discs pads, shocks and rear springs in the last two weeks!)

Blueflame stainless steel for 325£

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 September 2006, 06:54:28 »

Great choice of words, except I think the whole exercise was to get 'lack of sound' advice! ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D
I like red cars

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #14 on: 11 September 2006, 06:59:35 »

Also, I've been quoted £275 plus VAT. at a VX dealer and it said "trade club" on the cover of the book he was reading from. Does VX think we are all mega rich in Essex and set prices accordingly?  >:(

Eddie.

Ive seen my dealer do that....look at the TC book for a price.....i suspect what they are really doing is giving you a discount, but not the price it says in the TC book....they are just using it to see roughly how much it costs them and then giving you a price somewhere between what it says in the TC book and RRP.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.