Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is my engine knackered after all??  (Read 2897 times)

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
  • AAARRRRGGGGGGGGG, IT'S WAS ONLY A GLS!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Is my engine knackered after all??
« on: 11 September 2006, 18:15:27 »

Hi guys, I decided to delve a bit deeper into my supposedly knackered 2lt engine from the 1999 GLS that I bought the other week. The story was that they thought it had been run low on oil with lots off knocking noises and a blown head gasket. I whipped the balance shafts off and inspected all the crank bearings and conrod bearings. All looked to be in good condition in keeping with a 98k mile engine. definitely not starved of oil then  :) The piston bores are also excellent and there is no piston slap either. Then I turned my attention to the cylinder head. have a look at this pic!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l193/mijfife/head003.jpg

I can only assume that the gasket had gone and the car has been driven for quite a while as I've never seen a breach like this before! Id also assume that this was the cause of the knocking noises??
So the dilema is, do I go with my original block, and source another head? I assume a cylinder head from an earlier 2ltr will fit okay? The Haynes manual says to renew the big end cap bolts and cylinder head bolts, do they stretch when fitted?  
I'd be interested in what you think.

Cheers Jim
The fleet consists of a Singer Chamois Coupe, an Imp based kit car - BS Nymph, and a Kawasaki GPZ 900R (& a Toyota RAV4 LPG for the work horse!)

Salty

• Fleetwood
    • View Profile
Re: Is my engine knackered after all??
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2006, 20:12:40 »

I'd go for a replacement head. And I'd renew the suggested bolts, could be a quick easy fix.

STMO123

« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2006, 20:39:44 »

That is so bad as to almost make two cylinders into one! I'm trying to work out how it ran at all. One cylinder must have been trying to compress and chucking it all out of the exhaust on the adjacent one. Jeez :o

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2006, 21:13:33 »

That is so bad as to almost make two cylinders into one! I'm trying to work out how it ran at all. One cylinder must have been trying to compress and chucking it all out of the exhaust on the adjacent one. Jeez :o

That what I thought, no wonder the poor thing was making lots of knocking noises  :o

cheers Jim
The fleet consists of a Singer Chamois Coupe, an Imp based kit car - BS Nymph, and a Kawasaki GPZ 900R (& a Toyota RAV4 LPG for the work horse!)

Martin_1962

« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2006, 21:41:38 »

Head I'd say - or weld and grind that one

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2006, 21:43:17 »

i nearly bought this before you did mate - i think lol is it a facelift?

engine in boot?

Sounds like you should go top end first and see if the cheapr easier option cures the problem, maybe no bottom end "issues" after all?
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2006, 22:18:47 »

Hi Markiec, yes it's a facelift, came from Alloa, does it sound familiar  :)

Cheers Jim

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2006, 14:04:13 »

Hi Markiec, yes it's a facelift, came from Alloa, does it sound familiar  :)

Cheers Jim

ha ha yes mate its the very one

good luck with it!
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2006, 14:13:56 »

New head imo good luck with the repair may have to do the same with mine, keep us updated. :)

Wonder what caused it.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2006, 15:16:57 by nixoro »

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 September 2006, 16:16:22 »

yes do keep us informed as i nearly had an intrest in this would be good to see more piccies  :)

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2006, 17:46:25 »

I'll keep you all informed as to progress. I did a major phone around all the local breakers yards and the 2ltr ecotech with balancer shafts seems to be like the proverbial hens teeth! One place "might have one" but at £275 I think they can keep it  :o I think I'll bite the bullet and go get a cylinder head tomorrow. At least by taking it off myself, I'll be able to work out what goes where a bit easier and it should be a much cheaper fix.
I did make a bit of progress today, I fixed the broken glove box catch. Well start small and work my way up towards the big hole at the front  ;D

Cheers Jim

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 September 2006, 17:50:00 »

......I think I'll bite the bullet and go get a cylinder head tomorrow. ........

How about this?    ------>    brand new head

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 September 2006, 17:51:01 »

I'll keep you all informed as to progress. I did a major phone around all the local breakers yards and the 2ltr ecotech with balancer shafts seems to be like the proverbial hens teeth! One place "might have one" but at £275 I think they can keep it  :o I think I'll bite the bullet and go get a cylinder head tomorrow. At least by taking it off myself, I'll be able to work out what goes where a bit easier and it should be a much cheaper fix.
I did make a bit of progress today, I fixed the broken glove box catch. Well start small and work my way up towards the big hole at the front  ;D

Cheers Jim

Are you looking to get a new new head as i would be interested to know much it will cost.

Cheers Roy :)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 September 2006, 17:57:50 »

go on - go for the real challenge and do what i was gonna do - sink a 2.5 into it - mind you easier as i have one spare ( its just sitll in the car  ;D )

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 September 2006, 19:16:30 »

Thanks for pointing that one out broocie, I'm just gonna stick a second hand one on tho, save grinding in valves etc and there's a fair bit of surface rust on the cams.
Markiec, a 2.5 would be a damn sight easier to get than the ecotech!!! The lpg is set up for the 2ltr so I'll stick with that............for now at least  ;) did you go to see my Omega then? It looks a lot better after a good wash, still got the interior to clean up a bit but I'll get it running first!

Cheers Jim

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.