Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i Pod kits for miggys  (Read 2418 times)

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
i Pod kits for miggys
« on: 29 July 2006, 16:35:44 »

on the 'other' site i remember there was a conversation about fitting an iPod connection to the standard fit vaux radios.
Someone posted a kit that could be purchased that would hold the iPod and allow the unit to be used with the vaux radio, it spliced into the aerial connection, i can't find the link and i can't remember who made the kit, can anyone help?

Cheers

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: i Pod kits for miggys
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2006, 18:39:11 »

I don't know about the actual item you're talking about, but there're various FM modulators for sale on eBay.

I bought one a wee while ago, USB, Memory stick and audio in. Works a treat and doesn't need any splicing.
If I have to explain you won't understand!

Boiler Man

• Intermediate Member
  • Sale, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2006, 17:29:32 »

Sounds good ;D pardon the pun

Were did you get that from then and how does it connect to your radio?
« Last Edit: 31 July 2006, 17:29:58 by Boiler_Man »
Omega 2.0 DTI GLS Estate 99 Gold & Omega 2.2 DTI CDX Estate 03 Silver. Just need a Bronze one now for the full set.

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2006, 12:44:31 »

better late than never ... the best on I've found is the harman kardon "drive & play" - manufacturer's web site here, for sale on fleabay here for £85 inc. VAT and delivery.

it looks like this:

the control unit is about the same size as a mobile phone handsfree unit, so gets tucked out of sight. The controller and screen are sited in the cabin near the driver, the cable to the ipod is fairly long but on mine the ipod sits in the glovebox, locked away. The wired FM modulator (2nd pic) comes with UK versions of the kit as FM transmission isn't allowed here (plus if my experience with a griffin itrip auto is anything to go by, are a waste of time in the miggy anyway)

It connects to the radio by either a supplied 3.5mm plug to twin phono plug (ie, hardwired aux input) which is the preferred option - or via the FM modulator - I had to choose this option as I've got the bose setup in mine. You get a bit of white noise during quiet bits of music if the volume is up - but it's not really a problem and probably what you'll always get with FM anyway?

Normal retail price is about £130-ish, I took the easy route and got it installed whilst I was on holiday though - cost me £200 (supplied and fitted) all in, the sharp eyed may have spotted it in the recent pics of my miggy :)
« Last Edit: 21 October 2006, 12:46:21 by sounds2k »

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2006, 11:25:27 »

That's pretty cool.  I just use a tape adapter.  Sound is very good, and you can set the bass/treble for the iPod, but it doesn't charge.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Belfastowl

• Belfast
    • 2002 2.2 cd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2006, 19:41:46 »

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 November 2006, 23:14:24 »

better late than never ... the best on I've found is the harman kardon "drive & play" - manufacturer's web site here, for sale on fleabay here for £85 inc. VAT and delivery.

it looks like this:

the control unit is about the same size as a mobile phone handsfree unit, so gets tucked out of sight. The controller and screen are sited in the cabin near the driver, the cable to the ipod is fairly long but on mine the ipod sits in the glovebox, locked away. The wired FM modulator (2nd pic) comes with UK versions of the kit as FM transmission isn't allowed here (plus if my experience with a griffin itrip auto is anything to go by, are a waste of time in the miggy anyway)

It connects to the radio by either a supplied 3.5mm plug to twin phono plug (ie, hardwired aux input) which is the preferred option - or via the FM modulator - I had to choose this option as I've got the bose setup in mine. You get a bit of white noise during quiet bits of music if the volume is up - but it's not really a problem and probably what you'll always get with FM anyway?

Normal retail price is about £130-ish, I took the easy route and got it installed whilst I was on holiday though - cost me £200 (supplied and fitted) all in, the sharp eyed may have spotted it in the recent pics of my miggy :)

I am liking that a lot, however i am running out of space in my miggy what with the reverse sensor display, sat nav and phone.........

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 November 2006, 00:47:31 »

well if you look in the interior pic :

controller is to the right of gearstick - display in corner of the right-hand 'A' pillar. Control unit is behind passenger footwell kick panel (OK you can't see that bit !)

- those areas may all be free on yours, if not ... erm how about a smart phone so you can run sat nav on that?  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.