Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 Disc changer head unit - cartridge won't eject.  (Read 1695 times)

belldarr

4 Disc changer head unit - cartridge won't eject.
« on: 03 May 2011, 12:56:40 »

Apologies if this has been covered before but I have looked with no joy.  I was playing CD's as normal this morning and as the changer was selecting CD no4 I decided to listen to the news - this seemed to confuse the CD player as it was clicking away as if it was scolling through the discs and it said on the screen "loading CD4", I pressed the CD cartridge eject button and it popped out so I removed CD4 hoping that when I put the cartridge back in it would recognise that the slot was empty and re-load CD1 - It didn't do that and now comes up with CDC error and won't eject the cartridge - what did I do and how can I fix it? :)

Darren

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: 4 Disc changer head unit - cartridge won't eject.
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2011, 20:42:07 »

If you can get the cartridge out you'll probably find that the catridge itself is 'loose' there are a couple of tiny phillips screws that you can tighten up if the catridge isn't twisted.

belldarr

« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2011, 11:38:42 »

Thanks VXL V6 - The cartridge seems to have become jammed, as I press the eject button I can see some kind of metal part attempting to dis-engage from the cartridge on the bottom right hand side but it then clicks and goes back into the slot and then the message on the screen changes to "Error CDC".

Isn't there a pin hole on these where you can insert a tooth pick sized tool to manualy eject the cartridge?

Darren

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2011, 12:23:39 »

Thanks VXL V6 - The cartridge seems to have become jammed, as I press the eject button I can see some kind of metal part attempting to dis-engage from the cartridge on the bottom right hand side but it then clicks and goes back into the slot and then the message on the screen changes to "Error CDC".

Isn't there a pin hole on these where you can insert a tooth pick sized tool to manualy eject the cartridge?

Darren
No, it sounds like its jammed.  Only solution to that is to strip the unit, and hope that the changer mechanism hasn't distorted.
Grumpy old man

belldarr

« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2011, 13:19:56 »

Cheers TB - just had another quick look and can see the inside part of the cartridge is "elevated" through the top of the cartridge into the head unit and hasn't fully come back down back into the cartridge so that it can all come back through the slot.

I will buy the tools to pull the unit out and see if I can strip it down to remove the cartridge.

Darren

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2011, 14:44:27 »

Cheers TB - just had another quick look and can see the inside part of the cartridge is "elevated" through the top of the cartridge into the head unit and hasn't fully come back down back into the cartridge so that it can all come back through the slot.

I will buy the tools to pull the unit out and see if I can strip it down to remove the cartridge.

Darren
Quite common.

The solution I use in that instance, if it won't free up once stripped (you may find a disk jammed against laser mech) is to undo the screws on the cartridge, and dismantle it in situ.
Grumpy old man

belldarr

« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2011, 21:20:36 »

Well just to update this post: I bought the head unit removal tools and got the head unit out and could see that the CD player is almost a separate bolt on item behind that fascia panel, got the unit separated from the rest of the head unit and took the lid off, I could see the internal CD carriers sticking out the top of the cartridge and managed to dismantle the unit enough to extract the cartridge from the unit in one piece and then re- assembled the unit - put it all back together then popped it back into the car.  Re-loaded the cartridge but it just says "check disc 4" and won't load any of the 4 discs - I am pleased that the ubit is now ejecting the cartridge but looks like I will need a pro to look at it and get it all working again.

Darren

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2011, 11:18:07 »

Was a CD jammed hard on the laser mechanism?  If so, that might have damaged it :(
Grumpy old man

belldarr

« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2011, 19:26:18 »

Was a CD jammed hard on the laser mechanism?  If so, that might have damaged it :(

No TB it wasn't - But the laser mechanism was not back where it should have been and I nudged it back to release the cartridge, may have knackered it at this point of course :(

Darren

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 May 2011, 19:27:15 »

Is it checking all 4 CDs, or just 1?
Grumpy old man

belldarr

« Reply #10 on: 08 May 2011, 19:37:38 »

Sounds like it is checking all of them - as in you can hear it scrolling through the cartridge continously even if you select the radio - but the message on the display reads " check disc 4".

Darren

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 May 2011, 20:09:04 »

If it never says Check 3, Check 2 etc, then I may be suspicious the mechanism is bent...
Grumpy old man

belldarr

« Reply #12 on: 08 May 2011, 20:14:48 »

Oh dear - any recommendations on where to get it looked at/repaired?

Darren

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 May 2011, 20:16:58 »

But a CDC3, swap it over with your bottom half, BUT USE YOUR VERTICAL BOARD
Grumpy old man

belldarr

« Reply #14 on: 08 May 2011, 21:26:52 »

Cheers for the tip - will have to have a look to see if I can get on old unit.

Darren.

Rich-K

• West Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 May 2011, 13:16:41 »

Ive just had the same problem with the auto changer in my Vec. Took the car to a local auto/audio electrician. They found the laser head that reads the discs had sheared off, and jammed the mechanism, hence no eject. They have manged to reteive the cd's, but because of the age of the unit and the fact is was manufactured by Phillips, it is unrepairable. I am now looking for a suitable cd autochanger to fit that will connect to the existing radio/cassette unit.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 May 2011, 13:32:28 »

Ive just had the same problem with the auto changer in my Vec. Took the car to a local auto/audio electrician. They found the laser head that reads the discs had sheared off, and jammed the mechanism, hence no eject. They have manged to reteive the cd's, but because of the age of the unit and the fact is was manufactured by Phillips, it is unrepairable. I am now looking for a suitable cd autochanger to fit that will connect to the existing radio/cassette unit.
More likely the jammed disk wrecked the laser ;)

Cdc3 is what you need, bit use your vertical board.
Grumpy old man

Rich-K

• West Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 May 2011, 16:28:21 »

Thanks for your help. In the Vec the radio/cassette is mounted in the dash, whilst the cd autocharger is in the glovebox.  Will the cdc3 still work? Are new or second hand and where can I get one?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 May 2011, 17:56:35 »

Thanks for your help. In the Vec the radio/cassette is mounted in the dash, whilst the cd autocharger is in the glovebox.  Will the cdc3 still work? Are new or second hand and where can I get one?
Any CDC3, you lose the facia, and put in your communications board.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.