Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smart Meters  (Read 5986 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Smart Meters
« on: 05 September 2016, 17:55:19 »

Anyone got one?  Worth having? :-\

Or is it just a device so the barstewards can spy on us?  ::)  :-\  ;D

TIA!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: Smart Meters
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2016, 18:15:30 »

Do your homework, as up until recently, if your existing company fitted a Smart Meter, and you then wanted to change supplier, (as I do every year for the cheaper deals and cashback ::)) you may have found that the new supplier was unable to take you on as their system is not compatible and cannot read it. This may have changed, but double check. Our Village Hall is fitted with a smart meter, but still have to be read as the current(no pun intended) supplier is unable to read it. :y

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2016, 18:26:43 »

Yep,had one put in for gas and electric some months ago...you can have the display on or off if it annoys you sitting in your room all lit up glaring at you...As I understand it,they can if they so wish just pull the plug and cut you off if you dont pay your bills from where they are sitting in their office...they are very clever as you can see straight away what you are using and how much it costs you...minute by minute//hour by hour //or day by day..Not that I do,but at first I did find it fasinating just to check it from time to time..Now I am use to it I only check it  out of interest to see the usage and cost....The other thing is that if you do not want to pay by standing order you can go onto the net,check into your account..(british gas you can ) and then pay into your account with your debit card at any time you want to..So if in the winter your costs are rising fast,then just pay some into the account so that when they bill you it will not be such a big hit as you have already paid some off...also it stops them collecting you direct debit all year round and keeping your hard earned dosh in their bank  while it could be in yours...Anyway each to their own but for me personaly it works well and I wouldnt be without it now,

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2016, 18:29:45 »

As for possibly other companies may not be able to read it if you switch suppliers..I think you are correct..but for me living on my own the amount that i use it would not be worth the hassle or benefit me personaly to change...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 September 2016, 20:09:51 »

From a point of view of checking your consumption, you can buy a £30 device that'll do that almost as well.

I think they'll be interesting once suppliers start introducing variable tariffs, but not for me yet.

From a privacy perspective, there is almost certainly someone who can tell when your house is empty. How many people can do that and whether it's a concern is not in the small print, funnily enough. :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2016, 20:22:14 »

From a point of view of checking your consumption, you can buy a £30 device that'll do that almost as well.

I think they'll be interesting once suppliers start introducing variable tariffs, but not for me yet.

From a privacy perspective, there is almost certainly someone who can tell when your house is empty. How many people can do that and whether it's a concern is not in the small print, funnily enough. :-\

I can read the meter from time to time....  ::)  :D

Good point about privacy though!  :y

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2016, 20:50:38 »

i had one and found that i was looking at it too much so i turned it off  :)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2016, 21:42:33 »

I'm being nagged rotten about getting one, not from Mrs, but from energy suppliers

I like conspiracy theories. If they are nagging me so much . . . . why ? Oh yes of course it's so I can keep tabs on my energy consumption. And of course, economise and save the planet. Dangles . . . . there must be an angle, a motive.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

gbh

• Intermediate Member
  • forest of dean
    • omega cdx 2.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2016, 22:10:37 »

Having worked for E.on fitting meters all i can say is that like it or not you will have to have one.Because the electric and gas comps got so lazy and to save money they started guessing usage with smart it sends a text message in with all data including any attempts to fiddle.Will cost us all a small fortune to install and all the old meters will go to the bin and not reused as before!!! Companies fit there own meters and software and you need their passwords to speak to the meter and some companies won't share!!

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 05 September 2016, 22:48:35 »

I use this method: If it's turned on, it's using fuel. If it's turned on and it has a heating element, it's using lots of fuel.
You're sitting in your hovel, you feel a bit cold, so you turn the central heating on. Your 'smart' meter immediately informs you that you are using lots of fuel. Yeah.......I know that already. ::)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 September 2016, 04:35:15 »

I use this method: If it's turned on, it's using fuel. If it's turned on and it has a heating element, it's using lots of fuel.
You're sitting in your hovel, you feel a bit cold, so you turn the central heating on. Your 'smart' meter immediately informs you that you are using lots of fuel. Yeah.......I know that already. ::)

Quite.

But it's actually the government which is pushing the energy companies to push us to get them. They realize that not everyone is as super-intelligent as venerable OOF members   ;D

Anyway, work started today on putting in a log/solid fuel stove  :y So I'll be ready when the gas runs out  ;D
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

aaronjb

« Reply #11 on: 06 September 2016, 08:04:29 »

I'd rather not know, really.. ;D I have one of those clamp-type energy monitors which did remind me to change all the lighting to low energy (especially as the previous owners of the house had 50W GU10 bulbs everywhere - 8 in the kitchen, for example, hello 400W!), but other than that.. generally if it's on it's because I need it on!*

*Everyone runs two 8-bay NAS and an ESXi host 24x7, right?

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 September 2016, 08:49:34 »

I'd rather not know, really.. ;D I have one of those clamp-type energy monitors which did remind me to change all the lighting to low energy (especially as the previous owners of the house had 50W GU10 bulbs everywhere - 8 in the kitchen, for example, hello 400W!), but other than that.. generally if it's on it's because I need it on!*

Wot dat? :-\ :-\ :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 September 2016, 09:19:24 »

aaronjb

« Reply #14 on: 06 September 2016, 09:43:13 »

Another way you can help combat the EMF radiation from smart meters if you already have one, is to diffuse calming essential oils in your home, which can help minimize the insomniac effects of constant exposure

Uh. Yeah. OK. Right-o.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 September 2016, 09:47:21 »

Another way you can help combat the EMF radiation from smart meters if you already have one, is to diffuse calming essential oils in your home, which can help minimize the insomniac effects of constant exposure

Uh. Yeah. OK. Right-o.

And . . . . don't forget the lentils and green tea   ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 September 2016, 09:59:17 »

Uh. Yeah. OK. Right-o.

And . . . . don't forget the lentils and green tea   ;D

Cynical bastids!  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 September 2016, 10:56:35 »

Just one ESX host? You're energy usage must be non existent ;D
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #18 on: 06 September 2016, 11:09:35 »

Just one ESX host? You're energy usage must be non existent ;D

;D ;D Compared to the bill for hosting OOF, probably! Keeps the garage nice and warm, though :)

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 September 2016, 12:03:32 »

??? You use a lot of gas and leccy in winter and a lot less in summer , not rocket science is it ?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 September 2016, 13:15:14 »

??? You use a lot of gas and leccy in winter and a lot less in summer , not rocket science is it ?
My leccy is pretty constant all year round. Constantly high ;D

Heat by gas, so that's more seasonal.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 September 2016, 13:24:00 »

Still none the wiser! :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 September 2016, 13:26:59 »

NAS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage

ESX
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware_ESXi
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 September 2016, 13:39:32 »

NAS

ESX

So they're computer thingies. Why didn't you say so? All that talk of heterogenous clients, hypervisors and RAIDs made me feel I should have a brown paper bag over the wireless router ;D

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 September 2016, 18:36:00 »

I cant see the point of 'smart' meters.....if it needs to be on...then so be it...its using energy....end off!

If your that lazy you carnt be bothered to give meter readings now and then.....then maybe its for you...  :-\

My energy company gives me 50p back per meter reading....so I'm happy to give them the readings every month for a £12 rebate every year.

STEMO

« Reply #25 on: 06 September 2016, 19:23:40 »

I cant see the point of 'smart' meters.....if it needs to be on...then so be it...its using energy....end off!

If your that lazy you carnt be bothered to give meter readings now and then.....then maybe its for you...  :-\

My energy company gives me 50p back per meter reading....so I'm happy to give them the readings every month for a £12 rebate every year.
I'd give them a reading every half hour. ;D

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 September 2016, 23:49:52 »

NAS

ESX

So they're computer thingies. Why didn't you say so? All that talk of heterogenous clients, hypervisors and RAIDs made me feel I should have a brown paper bag over the wireless router ;D

NAS

ESX
Lost me on the first sentence. ;D

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 September 2016, 10:07:52 »

Ditto :-[ :y

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 September 2016, 10:26:31 »

I've recently had a new gas meter fitted (new extension meant relocating the meter and required a different style meter) so I thought I'd ask about having a smart meter installed. I was told that the smart gas meter uses the electric meter to read the gas meter, and because they are not my electric supplier I can't have one as they would have no way of reading it. He then went on to say that everyone will have to have smart meters by 2019 so not sure how they will get around that one.  :-\
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07 September 2016, 10:40:36 »

I've recently had a new gas meter fitted (new extension meant relocating the meter and required a different style meter) so I thought I'd ask about having a smart meter installed. I was told that the smart gas meter uses the electric meter to read the gas meter, and because they are not my electric supplier I can't have one as they would have no way of reading it. He then went on to say that everyone will have to have smart meters by 2019 so not sure how they will get around that one.  :-\

I was told that it will not be compulsory until all companies can read each others meters, and I believe that new meters are being, or have been developed, to allow this. :y

gbh

• Intermediate Member
  • forest of dean
    • omega cdx 2.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 18 October 2016, 17:47:38 »

The idea is that a third party will read all the meters and the new supplier will receive info from them after a small charge.That way the companies whose meters are installed don't have to share their software and possible hackers to their systems's.Yes the electric meter has mobile inside to send texts/readings and is bluetoothed to the gas meter

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19 October 2016, 13:55:04 »

The idea is that a third party will read all the meters and the new supplier will receive info from them after a small charge.That way the companies whose meters are installed don't have to share their software and possible hackers to their systems's.Yes the electric meter has mobile inside to send texts/readings and is bluetoothed to the gas meter

That will be fun when my gas and electric smart meters get installed next week. The electric meter is in a signal dead-spot, surrounded by original 1930s lead wiring (not connected anymore but still present) and proper bricks. I know this is a dead-spot as every couple of weeks I take a meter reading on my app and the phone has no signal there to send until I am a few feet away.

gbh

• Intermediate Member
  • forest of dean
    • omega cdx 2.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21 October 2016, 22:12:49 »

They can fit an external aerial if they're really keen or they might not fit at all as no point!!

iansoutham

• SE London
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 October 2016, 22:34:48 »

They can fit an external aerial if they're really keen or they might not fit at all as no point!!

I'll let you know Monday night......

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 22 October 2016, 08:46:55 »

Just had a letter, from my supplier, they want to fit a smart meter, and I can top up by app, only problem is I don't use crapple or android, I use a real system Windows 10, just proves how stupid large company's are. Might ring them could be fun.
Hoof'land storeman.

iansoutham

• SE London
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 October 2016, 17:25:32 »

Well, been and installed. Main install went well except the bloke installing had never seen the layout of the lard and fuse separate like in my place (old style had ever been modernised) and had trouble finding a decent socket initially for his testing.

Gas was installed easily enough and other than no earth to the unit to meet current regs (which it does not need due to age of house and current installation) no hiccups there.

He did have real trouble synchronising both units though. In the end he had to use his tablet linked to one and in the middle of the room to synth them both and then only had 1 option for the data channel which worked.

Will get photos later to show, but it is neatly done.

gbh

• Intermediate Member
  • forest of dean
    • omega cdx 2.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 October 2016, 20:38:29 »

Glad they were successful although your home electrics sound very dodgy!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.