Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: iPhone email issue  (Read 5222 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
iPhone email issue
« on: 29 September 2016, 10:18:29 »

Why is it that when I am away from home wifi, but connected to another wifi, I am able to receive emails on my iPhone, but when I try to reply, or try to send a new msg, I always get the error msg "...rejected by server".
I can send email by webmail (Plusnet) OK.
This has always been the case since I've had the iPhone, and several times I have spent time on the phone to Plusnet trying to resolve this, checking all the mail settings, authentication, passwords, etc. etc.
I've tried all the so-called fixes on Google to no avail.

Any ideas??? :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone email issue
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2016, 10:23:15 »

Have you setup an email account as per this?

https://www.plus.net/help/archive/email/ios-setup/

I see however they are using iOS 6 for screen shots, they clearly keep up to date.  ::) Not.  ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2016, 10:43:04 »

If the Out Going emails are working ok on your Hone Network but not when Roaming Wifi, sounds like a Out Going Authentication issue, check your Out Going Settings are correct, outgoing server name is correct, try with and without email name and passwords, is there a tick box to authenticate out going mail or similar, or something like use Incoming settings.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2016, 12:52:18 »

If the Out Going emails are working ok on your Hone Network but not when Roaming Wifi, sounds like a Out Going Authentication issue, check your Out Going Settings are correct, outgoing server name is correct, try with and without email name and passwords, is there a tick box to authenticate out going mail or similar, or something like use Incoming settings.

And when you've spent days doing all of that and it still doesn't work, smash the bloody thing with a mallet and revert to pen, paper and stamps.

You're welcome :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2016, 14:29:16 »

This. :y

Many servers will accept outgoing mail from unauthenticated connections provided the originator is using the ISP's connection (since this provides implicit authentication).

When you come to use the same mail account from out in the internet somewhere, they will reject it otherwise they would be providing an open relay and would be rapidly owned by spammers!
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2016, 19:53:28 »

Have you setup an email account as per this?

https://www.plus.net/help/archive/email/ios-setup/

I see however they are using iOS 6 for screen shots, they clearly keep up to date.  ::) Not.  ;D

Over and over again! :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 September 2016, 20:07:03 »

is there a tick box to authenticate out going mail or similar: No, only for incoming.

try with and without email name and passwords: Already tried.

or something like use Incoming settings: No

Thks. :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 September 2016, 21:39:01 »

is there a tick box to authenticate out going mail or similar: No, only for incoming.

Is your email address the same as whats in the server box, I dont much about Plusnet but guessing something like this, john.smith@plus.net or john.smith@plusnet.com, then the server would be simular ie incoming may be mail.plus.net, outgoing send.plus.net

are you using pop3 or imap, should all be imap these days, whats the imap outgoing server, ie, assuming its xxxx.plus.net you try and change this to smtp.plus.net

also try a 'reply' to a valid inbox mail message, rather than create new/compose new message. does that still fail. 

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 September 2016, 22:05:25 »

Many servers will accept outgoing mail from unauthenticated connections provided the originator is using the ISP's connection (since this provides implicit authentication).

When you come to use the same mail account from out in the internet somewhere, they will reject it otherwise they would be providing an open relay and would be rapidly owned by spammers!
This is definitely the issue.

If you are going to access your email away from your home broadband then you will need to use an encrypted mail server (using TLS or SSL).

Plusnet don't seem to be able to offer an encrypted mail server https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/SSL-on-IMAP-POP3-SMTP/td-p/1165569/page/12.

I don't want to post derogatory comments about your internet provider but from what I have found (in a 5 minutes search) I wouldn't trust them with my email........
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 September 2016, 23:00:56 »

Is your email address the same as whats in the server box, I dont much about Plusnet but guessing something like this, john.smith@plus.net or john.smith@plusnet.com, then the server would be simular ie incoming may be mail.plus.net, outgoing send.plus.net

are you using pop3 or imap, should all be imap these days, whats the imap outgoing server, ie, assuming its xxxx.plus.net you try and change this to smtp.plus.net

also try a 'reply' to a valid inbox mail message, rather than create new/compose new message. does that still fail.

Outgoing is relay.plus.net as required by Plusnet.

Reply to a msg does not work, and receives "rejected by server" msg.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 September 2016, 23:02:56 »

This is definitely the issue.

If you are going to access your email away from your home broadband then you will need to use an encrypted mail server (using TLS or SSL).

Plusnet don't seem to be able to offer an encrypted mail server https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/SSL-on-IMAP-POP3-SMTP/td-p/1165569/page/12.

I don't want to post derogatory comments about your internet provider but from what I have found (in a 5 minutes search) I wouldn't trust them with my email........

Thanks very much, it looks as though I need to change server then. I use Thunderbird as the client on my PC, but presumably the security issue will be the same as it is via Plusnet. :y

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 September 2016, 06:37:59 »

On my old iphone4

If I go into settings/mail.contacts.calenders/ then in your case select plusnet/account/smtp/relay.plus.net/

You can then turn off the 'primary' server and turn on 'other' smtp servers, then go into 'other' servers and edit the settings, ie hostname, username, password, server port and can change the options for authentication (mine is set to password)

HTH

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 September 2016, 09:51:03 »

On my old iphone4

If I go into settings/mail.contacts.calenders/ then in your case select plusnet/account/smtp/relay.plus.net/

You can then turn off the 'primary' server and turn on 'other' smtp servers, then go into 'other' servers and edit the settings, ie hostname, username, password, server port and can change the options for authentication (mine is set to password)

HTH

Thks, I can do that, but as my Primary server authentication is already set to Password, what would be the benefit? I bet it would still not allow me to reply to e mails! Other authentication options avlbl are: HTTP MD5 Digest, MD5 Challenge-Response, & NDLM.  I've no idea what any of those are.:y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 September 2016, 10:16:00 »

Outgoing is relay.plus.net as required by Plusnet.

Reply to a msg does not work, and receives "rejected by server" msg.
Did you try changing this to smtp.plus.net as suggested.

Could also be port settings, default is probably port 25 which can get blocked by some carriers.
« Last Edit: 30 September 2016, 10:34:10 by zirk »

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 September 2016, 11:18:16 »

Port 25 is for unencrypted SMTP. It is not safe to use on the publicly accessible Internet hence no Internet provider that knows what they are doing will allow access to it.
Ports 465 or 587 are commonly used for encrypted SMTP but they won't work if your provider doesn't offer encrypted SMTP.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.