Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mobile Phone Contracts  (Read 3473 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Mobile Phone Contracts
« on: 22 October 2016, 22:56:23 »

I have an iPhone 5s 16GB. I've had it for years and the contract is long paid off. I'm currently using it on a sim only plan, which gives me nearly everything I need for around £12 a month.

I recently dropped said iPhone and smashed the screen. Yes I could replace the screen, but, the phone has been in the bath twice, and has successfully dried out on both occasions, and seeing as I use my phone for nearly everything, I thought it's time to replace it.

My requirements are less than 300 minutes calls, ideally unlimited texts, (although most of my messages go over iMessage or WhatsApp). I currently have a limit of 2GB data which I regularly run over a bit, so ideally I want to up this to 8GB plus of data, maybe even more.

I have been in the three store today, who I am currently with. For an iPhone 7 32Gb, with a 30gb data plan (for the price of 8GB) they want 56 quid a month!

Other stores are very similar. I tried knocking down to the 6s model, but the cost saving is marginal.

I just felt totally uninspired, and walked away empty handed.

I looked on USwitch. I found a deal on there, which suited me fine, iPhone 7, with decent limits, for £35 month on EE.

I went into the EE store, and asked if they could match the deal there, and they stated no, and told me the online deals have a "catch" whereby after a few months the monthly payments increase by about £15?

Having read the small print on USwitch there is a bit saying prices may rise "with inflation" so I'm not sure if salesman is being truthful or just trying to make my buy from his store.

Any tips? It's a minefield and I left town frustrated, thinking I may just buy parts for my old 5s after all !!!

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile Phone Contracts
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2016, 08:28:59 »

The only tip is to buy the handset outright. Cheap deals always alarm me!

I've just upgraded both handsets with Three (been a customer for about 12 years and have to say that the service is generally superb) and priced buying handsets outright (plus sim only contract) and the monthly contract payment and the price over 2 years was almost identical.
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 October 2016, 09:26:10 »

I recently switched to a sim only deal with 3 as I decided there was no point in changing my phone as it works fine and does everything I need of it even if it is ancient and obsolete in the eyes of some.  When it dies I'll buy another outright, maybe even 2nd hand. Bangernomics for phones!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 October 2016, 09:35:25 »

Ive replaced both our phones this year, at 3.5 and 4 years old.  (got a 6SE and a 7)
Paid full cash price for them both and stayed sim only....I save half the sim only saving into a separate account to allow this to be done painlessly when needed.
Its a lot to pay out, so have to get in the mindset that the money was saved specifically for this purpose.

Pay about £11 each a month for phones.  Also happy in the knowledge that because they were bought in the apple shop, I can change the SIMs to any other network as and when I want to.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2016, 15:50:14 »

Cant remember the last time I had an actual Phone on Contract, been Sim Only for ages now, probably saved a fortune over the years, If I need a newer phone just buy it. More likely to get some decent Onging Airtime discount with Sim Only as well every time the contracts up.

As for your EE shop salesman He's talking B@llocks, the index linked thing is about 50p pm if the Networks can be arsed to actually charge it.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2016, 19:29:14 »

I guess it depends on if you really want an iPhone....

You can buy 4G Android smartphones for £70-£90* (depending on screen size) unlocked, so ready to take any payg sim you want  :y

* That's not from Egay or bought from HK or the like

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2016, 23:34:52 »

Ive replaced both our phones this year, at 3.5 and 4 years old.  (got a 6SE and a 7)
Paid full cash price for them both and stayed sim only....I save half the sim only saving into a separate account to allow this to be done painlessly when needed.
Its a lot to pay out, so have to get in the mindset that the money was saved specifically for this purpose.

Pay about £11 each a month for phones.  Also happy in the knowledge that because they were bought in the apple shop, I can change the SIMs to any other network as and when I want to.

All handsets from Three are unlocked  ;)

I was informed that a factory reset on an iPhone removes the sim lock anyway :-\
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 October 2016, 09:28:26 »

AFAIK all except retail from Apple come unlocked.....then lock to the first SIM entered.
Unlocking requires both a code from network and itunes.

Not actually done it, but thats my understanding.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 October 2016, 18:18:20 »

I was informed that a factory reset on an iPhone removes the sim lock anyway :-\
Nope. Absolutely not.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 October 2016, 18:19:32 »

AFAIK all except retail from Apple come unlocked.....then lock to the first SIM entered.
Unlocking requires both a code from network and itunes.

Not actually done it, but thats my understanding.
The Whorehouse are, I believe, the only ones who do that. Not sure if it applies to crApple, as their locking system is based on a database, rather than crypto codes.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2016, 18:21:17 »

I always buy my handset outright, then use whatever deal is best - currently a tenner a month on Evil Everywhere (who have by far the best data capability by some margin), giving me 250mins, ultd text, 4.1Gb data.
Grumpy old man

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 October 2016, 19:17:32 »

I always buy my handset outright, then use whatever deal is best - currently a tenner a month on Evil Everywhere (who have by far the best data capability by some margin), giving me 250mins, ultd text, 4.1Gb data.

I guess it depends on what you mean by that? I tried a EE sim in my phone last month, as I was experiencing problems with google maps and I thought I might be GG (original sim) buggering around with the data...but the EE sim didn't fix the problem and in fact it was worse for data coverage where I live, I kept losing data connection with the EE sim, not good when I have a app on my phone to receive taxi jobs!  so ive reverted back to the GG sim, data coverage is much better with GG (O2) where I live  :)

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 October 2016, 19:19:41 »

Currently debating a network change (from O2) myself.....

Where to is another question altogether ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 October 2016, 19:26:37 »

Trouble with NiffNaff is you may get a 3G (or if you're really lucky, 4G signal), but its bandwidth is unusable. A 2G signal, which sadly O2 still has more of than 3G/4G, is utterly unusable on NiffNaff.

That's why I'm down to 1 NiffNaff SIM now (from 5). I've found EE virtually always has coverage, and the vast majority of the time that's 3G/4G, and the throughput is useable (on 3G/4G - 2G (which EE has very little of) "works" but needs patience).  EE's big problem is its 3G is all up at the 1.8Ghz which has poor penetration in buildings and heavily wooded areas, unlike O2's predominantly 900Mhz 3G.  EE mostly has the best 4G frequencies though.

Obviously, masts locations will impact local specifics.

But overall, I'm far happier with EE than I am with GG...  ...to the point that I don't usually buy other SIMs and take a MiFi when I go on hols in blighty.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 October 2016, 19:27:47 »

Currently debating a network change (from O2) myself.....

Where to is another question altogether ;D
When I finally got sick of GG/O2, I bought a PAYG SIM from other providers put didn't port my number, and just used each for a month :)
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.