Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1996 Omega and radio reception  (Read 2145 times)

toller

• Mirfield, West Yorkshire
    • View Profile
1996 Omega and radio reception
« on: 26 February 2007, 17:32:19 »

The 1996 GSL omega i've just aqquired seems to have terrible radio reception, am i correct in thinking that it uses the rear window element as an antenna?

Not sure if the same setup is used on later model omegas but what are people's general expereinces of this setup, is it generally rubbish or does it work ok for most people.

I ask as my omega has had an aftermarket Blaupunk stero fitted and i can get about 3 radio stations, with only very very very sporadic reception of any local stations.  At the moment i'm not sure if it's because the previous owner hasn't fitted it properly or if it's because the rear window antenna method is a bit pants.

Is it possible to fit a proper aerial to the car anywhere and if so are kits available to be able to do it?

Starting to get a bit sick of only being able to get radio 3 & 4 now :)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: 1996 Omega and radio reception
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2007, 17:38:57 »

If you look at the rear heated screen, does it have two vertical lines about 1/4 of the way in on each side....if yes its a rear screen aerial.....if not then there should be one on the roof (generaly estates only).

I find they normaly work quite well but, check that the aerial cable has not been broken or damaged behind the radio...and that the electric aerial switched live feed is connected up (or the aerial amp gets no power!)

toller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2007, 18:51:47 »

Yes it has the two vertical lines on the back.  I'll pull the radio out tomoorw when it's light and have a good poke around.

Thanks for the help

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2007, 21:48:35 »

Dirt on the inside of glass causes a degradation in signal quality.  Other than that, I find it works very well...
Grumpy old man

toller

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2007, 22:14:15 »

I decided to have a look this evening as there is actually quite a lot of light in the car if all the courtesy lights and map lights are on.  Upon pulling out the unit i was greeted with the biggest mess of bodged up wiring i'd ever seen, all the power and speaker cables had been tangled around the aerial cable which meant the aerial plug was pulled out of the back of the stereo when i tried to put everythig back.

Even managed to blow a fuse at one point as a few of the cables pulled free of their connectors and shorted.

I'll have to put an hour or two aside to sort that this week.

Bloody amateurs!!! :)

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 March 2007, 10:09:51 »

This is why you should always disconnect the battery first!

This is a reasonably common problem and the official VX fix is to "Check all connections and cable condition from aerial plug to rear window".

It's quite often simply that the plug has worked loose in the back of the head unit.
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

toller

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 March 2007, 15:07:38 »

Out of interest, how is the co-ax for the aerial routed through the car as i also suspect here could be abreak along it's length somewhere so was considering reaplcing it with some new stuff.

Is it fairly straightforward to get to or will i end up having to remove alsorts of bits of plastic?

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 March 2007, 13:38:13 »

It appears in the drivers footwell behind the kick plate.  Then under the plastic sill to the back.  Up and over the rear wheel arch and under the parcel shelf (don't know where exactly).

I think there is a plug/socket up front somewhere too, which will help to eliminate part of the cable.
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.