Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with releasing bonnet (another snapped cable question!)  (Read 797 times)

Hi guys, long time lurker but first time poster (forums aren't really my thing) but this site and it's maintenance guides have proved invaluable during my last few years of ownership so thank you to all the community here!

Anyway, My question: the car has developed a misfire, got a check oil warning and needs a new battery! Anyway, got the parts together to get this sorted (I'd never done anything on my cars prior to owning the Mig, the excellent guides on this site gave my the confidence to 'have a go') and when we finally had a good day yesterday I went to do it and the bonnet cable went. Tried releasing the handle and using pliers on the cable but I now have an extra foot of cable in the car so it's in through the grill.....I've got the grill off but I don't see what the next step is..... unfortunately I don't have any copper pipe to try that approach so what am I looking for to release the bonnet? I can see the bonnet pin and there's a hole in the slam panel to the right of it which has something that moves in it but I don't see what is probably very obvious.....how does it actually release?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Help with releasing bonnet (another snapped cable question!)
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2014, 22:19:58 »

Where are you - I've had to release someones bonnet before (had to damage the grill in thar case, but if you have that off)
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2014, 08:05:46 »

..I've got the grill off but I don't see what the next step is..... unfortunately I don't have any copper pipe to try that approach so what am I looking for to release the bonnet? I can see the bonnet pin and there's a hole in the slam panel to the right of it which has something that moves in it but I don't see what is probably very obvious.....how does it actually release?

Ive also done a few now, assume we are talking Facelift here, the first time was fiddly, and was done by pushing the spring latch on the very top of the slam panel away from its location using a screw driver and a piece of steel and then working the spring and the bonnet until it released.

The second time using the above method managed to get the spring undone but it somehow slipped out of sight and the whole thing just got jammed up without releasing the bonnet pin, thats when I come up with the Copper Tube tool idea, which I assume you have seen.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=104814.0

Its is also possible, Im told, to actually undo the bonnet pin with a spanner at 90 degrees to the slotted dome part, but even if you can get something up there, theres not enough room to get proper leverage on it, and more to the point theres an upper locking nut against the bonnet panel, which if rusted in place is almost impossible to free using this method.

Since then, Ive used the Tool to do this and to be honest, once you get the Grill off, only takes a few minuets once you get the hang of it.

As TB says, where abouts are you.

« Last Edit: 06 February 2014, 08:07:48 by zirk »

dazza88

• luton (bedfordshire)
    • 2001 2.6 v6 auto omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2014, 19:01:54 »

Weres your location if your close can do it for you, I had to do mine the other month on the face lift 02 model I broke off the grille then I thought I never had to do that jack up the front of car and were your rad is theres like a black plastic cover up the top if you move that to one side then with your finger you can feel the metal bit what the cable goes on to, push it to the drivers or passenger side I cant remember but only goes one way, then it should pop the bonnet its easyer to do then explaining but I hope it helps.

Just thought is yours the first model as I didn't know you can take the grille out offace lift model unless bonnet is open as the screws for the grille.  :y
2002 2.2 cd auto             mrk2 astra gte
vauxhall colton               vauxhall omega 2.6 v6 auto
ford sierra saphire 20l   vauxhall omega 2.2 dti 02 plate

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2014, 19:45:50 »

Thought I might make a  rig up with a spare cable fitted and available somewhere under the car to pull if normal cable breaks. Has anybody looked at this idea.

« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2014, 05:16:35 »

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delayed response, been away for a few days! The car is indeed a facelift, probably should have mentioned that. Won't be near the car for a week or so now due to work but will crack on when I'm back and hopefully get a result now I'm slightly more the wiser!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.