Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It must be a MAF I need.. right?  (Read 1165 times)

51M0N

• Intermediate Member
  • Hull
    • View Profile
It must be a MAF I need.. right?
« on: 12 July 2011, 20:00:41 »

Ok if you haven't seen my other topic basically I changed my cam cover gaskets, cleaned the breathers, throttle body, plenum, new plugs.

Once everything was back together I started her up and it was misfiring, looked into it no6 plug lead had fallen apart. repaired it, then it wouldn't start at all. replaced all the plug leads with brand new ones. still wouldnt start,

I had a breakthrough last night when I took the maf sensor plug off and it started :o but was revving all over the place.

So today I took everything apart again. checked the plenum sealed correctly checked all the vaccums etc, checked everything basically, started her with the maf sensor off and it started, no revving all over either, just sat about 800rpm but very lumpy obviously, sometimes it would cut out. after a few minutes of running once it warmed up it didnt cut out, if i reconnected the maf whilst running it would still run and the eng light would go off, however it is even lumpier than without. it will NOT start at all if the maf is plugged in,

also I noticed whilst it was running a heavy tapping noise on the passenger side. sounded a bit like an injector.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Re: It must be a MAF I need.. right?
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2011, 20:32:08 »

Ok if you haven't seen my other topic basically I changed my cam cover gaskets, cleaned the breathers, throttle body, plenum, new plugs.

Once everything was back together I started her up and it was misfiring, looked into it no6 plug lead had fallen apart. repaired it, then it wouldn't start at all. replaced all the plug leads with brand new ones. still wouldnt start,

I had a breakthrough last night when I took the maf sensor plug off and it started :o but was revving all over the place.

So today I took everything apart again. checked the plenum sealed correctly checked all the vaccums etc, checked everything basically, started her with the maf sensor off and it started, no revving all over either, just sat about 800rpm but very lumpy obviously, sometimes it would cut out. after a few minutes of running once it warmed up it didnt cut out, if i reconnected the maf whilst running it would still run and the eng light would go off, however it is even lumpier than without. it will NOT start at all if the maf is plugged in,

also I noticed whilst it was running a heavy tapping noise on the passenger side. sounded a bit like an injector.

Sounds like a dried out and sticking lifter  :y

Need a maf though.

Any breakers on here got a early type maf ( square plug ) ?

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2011, 20:34:24 »

Paperclip test for fault codes first, if the MAF sensor is faulty it would give codes 73 & 74. There may also be other codes there too so it`s worth doing to see if anything else is showing too.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2011, 20:38:05 »

Paperclip test for fault codes first, if the MAF sensor is faulty it would give codes 73 & 74. There may also be other codes there too so it`s worth doing to see if anything else is showing too.

Not always  :-/
Sometimes they can start to play up without a code  ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2011, 20:45:14 »

Be aware that a 19 also tends to through an erroneous MAF code.
Grumpy old man

51M0N

• Intermediate Member
  • Hull
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2011, 20:49:44 »

I code read the other day and got a 73 74 and a 19 too but this was when  it wouldnt start, i need to reset them really

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2011, 07:36:11 »

I have a MAF here that I think has the earlier square plug...certainly works well...can get it in the post for you today if it is...£15 including postage :y
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

51M0N

• Intermediate Member
  • Hull
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2011, 17:44:06 »

I did pm you this morning but it doesnt seem to work on my phone, did you find out if it was the square plug? if so ill have it.

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2011, 20:32:52 »

Just replied to your later message...sadly even though its not a mini facelift it still seems to be new enough to have an oval plug :(

Edit: Dippy Dave is breaking his 96 plate v6 should be in the square plug years...worth a PM to him :y
« Last Edit: 13 July 2011, 20:40:11 by ShieldOfSteel »
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

51M0N

• Intermediate Member
  • Hull
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 July 2011, 22:12:49 »

Just replied to your later message...sadly even though its not a mini facelift it still seems to be new enough to have an oval plug :(

Edit: Dippy Dave is breaking his 96 plate v6 should be in the square plug years...worth a PM to him :y

Aww bugger, Thanks for trying though.

I'll just get one off teBay, cheap enough.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 July 2011, 22:28:08 »

I wouldn't be so quick to write off the MAF without clear proof, ideally with live data from it.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.