Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: v6 OIL LEAK  (Read 10692 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: v6 OIL LEAK
« Reply #15 on: 17 September 2017, 20:45:48 »

I was thinking of plug on crank sensor maybe being disturbed as it lives at the back of n/s head[which is how mine got disturbed when someone put some new cam cover gaskets on mine for me]One other daft thought are you sure there's still a leak and it's not just oil residue on the exhaust manifold/downpipe burning off?I know that can linger for a while-doesn't help with curing your poor idling though!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 September 2017, 21:22:36 »

Due to it running lean before, put a fault on it (unplug MAF etc), then clear codes. This will reset trims.

Then see whats what.

Leaking cam gasket will not let air into engine.
Grumpy old man

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 September 2017, 22:12:49 »

I was thinking of plug on crank sensor maybe being disturbed as it lives at the back of n/s head[which is how mine got disturbed when someone put some new cam cover gaskets on mine for me]One other daft thought are you sure there's still a leak and it's not just oil residue on the exhaust manifold/downpipe burning off?I know that can linger for a while-doesn't help with curing your poor idling though!
I believe the crank sensor on the V6 Omegas is alongside the oil filter. I've change a few and it's an under car job. The crank sensor is at the front of the n/s head. I had to unplug it when I took the loom out of its plastic case to gain access to the cam covers. This job is plagued with unplugging wiring and pipes, and then mixing them up or losing them!
No I am not sure the smoke is not caused by oil burning off, rather than a new oil leak, however the right hand side does not smoke. The smoke could be a missing length of gasket that may have fallen on the exhaust manifold.
However something is affecting the engine running. I cured a major air leak replacing the inlet manifold O-ring, but there is clearly another air leak somewhere, though TB says a leaking cam cover gasket would not constitute an engine air leak.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 September 2017, 22:19:19 »

Woops, correction, the CAM sensor is at the front of the near side head. It does get in the way of installing the near side cam cover. I agree its cable could get under the cam cover gasket making a leak.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 September 2017, 23:40:38 »

PM sent.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 September 2017, 08:51:48 »

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 September 2017, 14:08:57 »

Due to it running lean before, put a fault on it (unplug MAF etc), then clear codes. This will reset trims.

Then see whats what.

Leaking cam gasket will not let air into engine.
Unplugged MAF sensor, started and ran engine (did not run at all well), diagnostic siad MAF signal zero. Stopped engine, read codes, 19 and 73 (no MAF signal). Plugged MAF sensor in, restarted engine, just the same. It would idle for about 10 seconds, then stall.

Looks like I still have an air leak.

Why do you say leaking cam cover gasket will not leak air into engine? Will it not be sucked into the cam cover, go via the sump to the breather box, through the breather system, emerging at the front of the throttles, and go into the engine. Not unlike the leak when the O-ring between lower inlet manifold and plenum I cured yesterday.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 September 2017, 14:14:21 »

Have you checked your cam covers are straight Terry?  ???
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 September 2017, 17:00:01 »

just tried on mine if its any help terry .removing oil filler cap makes no real difference to idling so cam cover air leak would be similar or less.some other suggestions to try although i guess you will have already done these! . idle air valve unit on side pushed fully into grommet.brake servo pipe connection  to side of plenum done up.rest of brake servo pipe ok and free from leaks.disconnecting and plugging hole would confirm.egr valve ok and not leaking.no pipework come adrift from secondary air system if still used.no splits in any vac pipes or front concertina pipes.any undue hissing noises under plenum to suggest big air leak on any o rings .obviously assumung all electrical connectors in place . sorry if ive stated any obvious ideas

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 September 2017, 18:29:20 »

just tried on mine if its any help terry .removing oil filler cap makes no real difference to idling so cam cover air leak would be similar or less.some other suggestions to try although i guess you will have already done these! . idle air valve unit on side pushed fully into grommet.brake servo pipe connection  to side of plenum done up.rest of brake servo pipe ok and free from leaks.disconnecting and plugging hole would confirm.egr valve ok and not leaking.no pipework come adrift from secondary air system if still used.no splits in any vac pipes or front concertina pipes.any undue hissing noises under plenum to suggest big air leak on any o rings .obviously assumung all electrical connectors in place . sorry if ive stated any obvious ideas
Gosh, you are right, oil filler cap off is bigger leak than the gasket, so that theory is debunked.
Now I will check for leaks elsewhere.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 September 2017, 18:50:58 »

also when you say that it will idle for a bit and then stop do you hear any air leaks? . i would have thought the air valve would try to keep the speed up but there is a limit obviously to how far it will go. if the car was running fine before the work then you would expect it to be unlucky for something to go faulty but still possible. happy hunting and again my apologies if ive stated the obvious.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 September 2017, 19:04:41 »

also when you say that it will idle for a bit and then stop do you hear any air leaks? . i would have thought the air valve would try to keep the speed up but there is a limit obviously to how far it will go. if the car was running fine before the work then you would expect it to be unlucky for something to go faulty but still possible. happy hunting and again my apologies if ive stated the obvious.
Not at all, I have known oil filler caps left off, and it merely makes the idel a bit faster.
Yet the car was running perfectly before I changed the cam cover gaskets, so it must be a fault I have introduced. I found one in that O-ring displaced, there must be another one somewhere.  And the nearside cam cover gasket did smoke a lot, whereas the offside did not.It did not idle long enough for me to leap out of the cabin and listen for leaks
I have already removed the plenum, lower inlet manifold and wiring harness, and am about to remove the n/s cam cover. Now I worry that I may disturb a perfectly sealed gasket, and without a spare! 

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 September 2017, 19:11:40 »

to someone who has many years of experience with omegas i have greatest respect for you and im sure you will find the displaced o ring if there is one. at least to recheck and confirm for your own peice of mind.eliminating parts in stages. as for the cam cover gasket it should still be ok as its new .you probably have your way of doing things as do i .i lightly "glued " mine onto the cover with black gm sealant to hopefully prevent any displacement and used elring gaskets with no problems.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 September 2017, 19:20:36 »

Not at all, I have known oil filler caps left off, and it merely makes the idel a bit faster.
Yet the car was running perfectly before I changed the cam cover gaskets, so it must be a fault I have introduced. I found one in that O-ring displaced, there must be another one somewhere.  And the nearside cam cover gasket did smoke a lot, whereas the offside did not.It did not idle long enough for me to leap out of the cabin and listen for leaks
I have already removed the plenum, lower inlet manifold and wiring harness, and am about to remove the n/s cam cover. Now I worry that I may disturb a perfectly sealed gasket, and without a spare!

Just my opinion but ... "if" the gasket went on "properly" and sealed "correctly" .. there will be no problem at all re-using it as it will have retained its original shape and proforma, it's not been on long enough to get hot enough to change....... however .. "if" it did not seat correctly and you have tightened it down "over itself" so to speak .. the it is probably beyond repair as it will have "crushed" when not in its "groove" .... (guess how I come to that conclusion ......  :)  )

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 September 2017, 20:35:07 »

With plenum, lower inlet manifold and harness cage removed, I have just checked for oil in plug wells - there is none. OK, it has not run for long, but its presence would have confirmed leaking gasket. I have found an old n/s cam cover in my spares heap this morning - I reckon I can get a mirror through the oil filler and look around for an out of place gasket. If not, I have a problem, though, as Entwood observes, if gasket is in place it is re-usable, and , if not, it's worth finding out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.