Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Brake upgrades...  (Read 11326 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Brake upgrades...
« Reply #75 on: 10 December 2013, 20:16:36 »

Plus, I just remembered, there is an entry in Tis regarding servos. Later models have a servo with an extra valve that gives more assistance under emergency braking conditions. Now, if that's not an admission of some level of guilt or desire for more assistance, I don't know what is.
Virtually all new cars, including those with the (IMHO) over assisted servos :)

I have no issue with people wanting to improve any aspect of their cars, but to class a trait as "shit" when it doesn't affect the vast, vast majority of OOFers, is not the best advice.  Be a bit like me classing SC3 MO as "shit" as the grip levels are below some of the tyres I liked.

Oh shit, I've mentioned tyres ;D
Grumpy old man

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #76 on: 10 December 2013, 20:55:43 »

Plus, I just remembered, there is an entry in Tis regarding servos. Later models have a servo with an extra valve that gives more assistance under emergency braking conditions. Now, if that's not an admission of some level of guilt or desire for more assistance, I don't know what is.

I have no issue with people wanting to improve any aspect of their cars, but to class a trait as "shit" when it doesn't affect the vast, vast majority of OOFers, is not the best advice.  Be a bit like me classing SC3 MO as "shit" as the grip levels are below some of the tyres I liked.

Exactly my sentiments Jaime, and the reason why I posted in this thread.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion - but they should make it clear that it is only their opinion and not "cast in stone"
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 10 December 2013, 21:16:14 »

Exactly my sentiments Jaime, and the reason why I posted in this thread.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion - but they should make it clear that it is only their opinion and not "cast in stone"
There are some things we can say pretty much as fact. For eg, as we are talking about brakes, cheapo discs/pads made by the likes of Apec and Mintex are pretty dire on the Omega, even if not gunning it all the time. Thus we know, based on our collective experiences, TC discs and pads (or OE pads if you like that extra bite/feel from cold) are the ideal setup for the vast majority of OOFers. We can almost cast that in stone.

IMHO anyway.
Grumpy old man

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 10 December 2013, 21:30:46 »

I would not describe the brakes on the Omega as anything more than adequate and have scared myself a couple of times from riding my motorbike for a few weeks in the summer to jumping in the car, then shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii when needing to pull up sharply forgetting hoe poor they are compared to a bike.

Talking about driving style, I think that is a personal thing. Some people like to serenely drive about at 20 to 25 in a 30 limit to up to 45 everywhere else. The only reason the car accelerates is where the world is round and they will find the Omega brakes more than adequate. They never have an accident, but witness hundreds around them.

At the other end of the spectrum are those are that how shall I put like to make progress, enjoy the g forces from fast acceleration, hard braking and when going fast round corners, and the do because it is enjoyable driving like that and they would be board to death and probably complacent to hazards where their brain is not being exercised enough driving sloooooooooooooowly. Now you could argue that the Omega is not the car for them but when they need also it to be load carrier, a long distance tourer as well as a family runabout at an affordable price, it fulfils those needs as an all rounder better than most. The majority of the people I know that fit into this category of driving are ex-bike riders, especially those that ragged them to death in their teens, where it was digital throttle, digital brakes and a point of honour that the TT100 tyres were scrubbed right to the edge and the corners ground of the foot pegs and old habits die hard.

To say one method of driving is better than the other misses the point as long as you drive safely and within the law, then your driving style is personal And IME the first style of drivers, with zero anticipation or situation awareness of those around them are by far the most dangerous.

I all for making things better, like the upgraded discs and braided hoses on my bike and likewise would find the Omega a better driving experience with better brakes, plus in an emergency when you need that bit extra it is there.

So lets talk about what would be a cheap and effective ways to improve the Omega brakes?

1. Improved air ducting?
2. Braided hoses?
3. Better calipers?
4. Bigger discs?
5. A different compatible servo?
6. Different brake pads?
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

chrisgixer

« Reply #79 on: 10 December 2013, 21:44:05 »

Or completely discounting the newer Halfords kits to oofers that have no socket set at all, purely based on a phobia over screw driver bits. ;)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 10 December 2013, 21:44:58 »

Or completely discounting the newer Halfords kits to oofers that have no socket set at all, purely based on a phobia over screw driver bits. ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 10 December 2013, 21:46:15 »

As per the post on that thread, 120pc represents far better value for pretty much the same set, minus some of the screwdriver bits (which are 2-a-penny).
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #82 on: 10 December 2013, 21:52:34 »

In every area they are lacking. Feel, bite, heat loss, diameter, pad area, swept area, piston count, rusting inner edge and warping. And that's doesn't include the size and weight of the car their fitted to.
The very idea of upgrading them was challenged, the response was they are shit for the reasons given, because they are.

The question was answered now your challenging that answer. Why, the answer is sound.

I do however, fully accept the oofers are smart enough to know that something is fine for them then there's no need to mess with it. Obviously.

Christ, even you admit changing the pads before their half worn. ::)

And my sc3 are way better than your F1 :P

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 10 December 2013, 22:03:56 »

Christ, even you admit changing the pads before their half worn. ::)
Aye, my "brake upgrade" is to ensure the pads are relatively meaty. That allows them to mostly survive the trials and tribulations of daily MK use

And my sc3 are way better than your F1 :P
Jury is still out. The F1's aren't bad. Not bad at all. But not fantastic. Once I know the durability, I'll be able to comment if performance/durability ratio is suitable for me.

I've used SC3 on my MV6 (generic I believe, was a while ago), and thought they weren't as good as the SC2 I had on before. Neither were as good as the SP9000s I normally used at the time, and the Sport Maxx TT were even better in all respects. The RTs were stunning for performance, but lacked the stability feel that the TT's gave. Life was slightly shorter I reckon (hard to tell, as Mrs TB started using it more, and she's kind to tyres).

From memory, my SC3s gave similar life to the SP9000s. Don't believe they were MOs though.

But we digress ;D
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #84 on: 10 December 2013, 22:07:22 »

Should add, currently have TC discs and pads all round :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #85 on: 10 December 2013, 22:08:38 »

Well you did mention tyres.

CEM .... ? ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 10 December 2013, 22:10:13 »

Should add, currently have TC discs and pads all round :y
I tend to use TC pads at rear, as soft as shite, lets the TC grab the wheel before the engine cuts. Get it on a decent greasy road, adjust the mirrors down to the wheels, and watch the dust fire off them when you plant it, and keep it planted. My record is about half a mile. Shagged the pads though.
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 10 December 2013, 22:10:16 »

Ignoring tb's and gixers tiff  ;D ......... Do many think that the diameter of the discs is too small? Just thinking al cos you're getting brake fade under normal braking... This isn't normal. Is it likely that hdisc size isn't enough to dissipate heat?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 10 December 2013, 22:12:32 »

Ignoring tb's and gixers tiff
I love him really....

Do many think that the diameter of the discs is too small? Just thinking al cos you're getting brake fade under normal braking... This isn't normal. Is it likely that hdisc size isn't enough to dissipate heat?
Without doubt, if the car was designed today, it would carry bigger discs.

Brake fade is normal in any car. Never had a vehicle that hasn't suffered it.
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #89 on: 10 December 2013, 22:21:48 »

Ignoring tb's and gixers tiff  ;D ......... Do many think that the diameter of the discs is too small? Just thinking al cos you're getting brake fade under normal braking... This isn't normal. Is it likely that hdisc size isn't enough to dissipate heat?
Yes, they are too close to the limit. Al does alot of miles and drives an estate at full pressures to take the unknown loads he'll likely carry.

They are certainly borderline for a car this size and weight, so it only takes one aspect of servicing to be over looked and its quite easy to run into problems.

I wouldn't say that when those problems arise its instant disaster, they do recover. But their capacity for this size weight and power of car is a bit close the line.

Look around the car parks, check the disc sizes v vehicle size and power.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.