Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TD question  (Read 2736 times)

05omegav6

TD question
« on: 02 January 2016, 01:41:14 »

Can a turbo car be driven reliably with a blown turbo?

Probably a really stupid question... ::)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: TD question
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2016, 08:14:11 »

It can be driven, from were it's gone pop to the workshop, might smoke bit, and have a very reduced power out put, here's the but, if it's seals yes if it's bearings no. If bearings gone, then vanes.can disintegrate go into engine, as can bearing.
Hoof'land storeman.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2016, 09:42:02 »

Can a turbo car be driven reliably with a blown turbo?

Probably a really stupid question... ::)

And I thought I asked daft questions  :o ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2016, 10:42:07 »

As BG says, depends on nature of "blown turbo".

If the seals have badly gone, it will rev uncontrollably until the engine self destructs, or runs out of oil.

If it is drivable, try to avoid busy times, as a turbo diesel with non functioning turbo is incredibly slow off the line.
Grumpy old man

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2016, 11:07:22 »

As BG says, depends on nature of "blown turbo".

If the seals have badly gone, it will rev uncontrollably until the engine self destructs, or runs out of oil.

If it is drivable, try to avoid busy times, as a turbo diesel with non functioning turbo is incredibly slow off the line.
Seen that happen on a vectra owing to the owner putting too much engine oil in..

serek

• Omega Knight
  • huntingdon
    • 3.2 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 January 2016, 11:57:26 »

i had rover 45 where someone take internal part of turbo out blank oil pipes car run with out any problem

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 02 January 2016, 12:58:30 »

i had rover 45 where someone take internal part of turbo out blank oil pipes car run with out any problem
Think it's a VW derived 2.5...

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 January 2016, 13:20:33 »

If its the 5 cyl version im thinking of, its pretty slow anyway.

As said it a case of evaluating oil pressure, loose bits and smoke level.

Having replaced a few seized turbos its more of a case getting them back to driveable.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 January 2016, 22:58:14 »

If it's anything like my 2.5 5Cyl T4, then with a whopping 88BHP, it's going to be sluggish.  Without the blower, you may as well walk.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 03 January 2016, 03:55:11 »

If it's anything like my 2.5 5Cyl T4, then with a whopping 88BHP, it's going to be sluggish.  Without the blower, you may as well walk.
Car being considered has some MoT, is up for peanuts, local too... officially 140bhp :-\

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 January 2016, 19:21:24 »

really? even the 88 has a fair amount of torque, try disconnecting maf and see if it drives better first, if not ,if its still running the shite stanadyne injectors then throw them away and put bosch ones in,fit the intercooler and see the difference, mine was originally 102, but bigger injectors a little chip change, and its at a smokey 153bhp, however not worriied about bhp its th torque that counts,the torque is stupendous on it right through the rev range and costs me less than 200 euro to drive to uk, 1400 odd miles lol

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 January 2016, 19:38:56 »

really? even the 88 has a fair amount of torque, try disconnecting maf and see if it drives better first, if not ,if its still running the shite stanadyne injectors then throw them away and put bosch ones in,fit the intercooler and see the difference, mine was originally 102, but bigger injectors a little chip change, and its at a smokey 153bhp, however not worriied about bhp its th torque that counts,the torque is stupendous on it right through the rev range and costs me less than 200 euro to drive to uk, 1400 odd miles lol

In fairness to the old girl, she is plenty quick enough for what she is.  It runs sweet as a nut.  Steep hills see a couple of gear changes though.  I am going to fit the IC from a 102.  It does have Standyne's installed.  Fortunately they were changed last year (before I bought the van) so should come out without too much of a fight.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 January 2016, 20:16:46 »

In fairness to the old girl, she is plenty quick enough for what she is.  It runs sweet as a nut.  Steep hills see a couple of gear changes though.  I am going to fit the IC from a 102.  It does have Standyne's installed.  Fortunately they were changed last year (before I bought the van) so should come out without too much of a fight.

never had a problem with injetors trick is to soak them in atf over night the day before, fly out then,
make sure you get the plastic scoop that directs the air over the i.c, plus the mounting brackets, costs less than 30quid for all of it and is bolt on, also blank the egr and clean out the inlet properly befoe hand mr muscle overn cleaner shifts it easily,re hills it shuld fly up them in 5th unless yiur only in third to start with lol did my mates 88,it wouldnt pull skin off a rice pudding before after doing ths same as above it now pulls his twin axle pikey van up the hills easily before he was down a couple of gears every time,and his fuel consumption went down, you could try the old 2 stroke trick to help it befoe you get round to changing it all,will defo help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.