Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bit of a wierd LPG problem.  (Read 7916 times)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Bit of a wierd LPG problem.
« Reply #45 on: 06 June 2019, 14:05:29 »

Read through this (as per the request in PM ;))

Certainly sounds like a pickup problem but, as Kevin said, I’d expect it to cope with idling when only drawing vapour.

Mind you, now the tank is out....
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 06 June 2019, 14:48:01 »

Certainly sounds like a pickup problem but, as Kevin said, I’d expect it to cope with idling when only drawing vapour.

Mine didn't .. once the pressure had dropped sufficiently for it to switch back to petrol, it was always at least an hour before it would it would run at all on LPG. My guess is that the pressure drop of pure gas, not liquid, along the whole feed pipe, then through the vapouriser was just too great. Given the mass of the tank, and the volume of liquid left in the tank, and the fact that the boot is a closed space, it must take a while for the heat to build up to restore any decent pressure in the top of the tank

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 06 June 2019, 15:17:02 »

Cheers LD
Since it was yourself and your mate who sorted out the kits for the forum, I was asking your opinion  :)
I don't dismiss anybody's opinion on here.
Just asking lots of questions and trying to get things clear in my own head before I decide what to do  :)

Okay, checked all 3 lpg filters (1 x brass / 2 x inline) and all clear.
Also checked the reducers flow (lpg and water) and both clear so pretty sure I have no restrictions between the injector banks and the tank so i'm going for a new tank  :)   

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 06 June 2019, 15:48:43 »

Right, had a word with Tinley. Explained the full story and they feel its best to change the outlet valve first and see how it goes  :-\
TBH, even though its very rare he was going with Nige's theory until I told him that all 3 filters was clear so he changed his mind and went for the valve.
It should be here tomorrow so fingers crossed it will fix it and save me a shed full of money (which I can't afford to spend  :()

I'll let you all know what happens  :y

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 07 June 2019, 20:57:22 »

Something has been doing my tits in about this so since rain has stopped all play and i'm back at work tomorrow, I thought i'd go through the LPG / Stag wiring guides  :( :-\

Going on the knowledge that there are 2 isolation valves on the system, 1 in the tank and the other one in the reducer.
What would symptoms would I get IF the engine was warmed up, the tank solenoid had 12 volts applied / valve open AND the reducer shut off solenoid failed ??
At the end of the day, BOTH are controlled off the same 2 wires but wired in parallel  :-\   
« Last Edit: 07 June 2019, 20:59:08 by tigers_gonads »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 07 June 2019, 21:06:19 »

Just my guesses ....As both are springloaded closed - "failsafe" - if memory serves .. then either solenoid failing would give the same symptoms of "running out of gas" ... the reducer one giving the symptoms slightly earlier as it is further down the line ....  but why would a solenoid failure be linked to a certain level of LPG in the tank ?? which I thought was the original problem ??  confused of North Wilts now ....   :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 07 June 2019, 22:57:16 »

Yep, either of the solenoids closed and it simply won't run on LPG, as if the tank is empty.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 07 June 2019, 23:35:47 »

Thinking about this whilst out with the hound ... if an "intermittent" problem with either valve ... either time (heat ?) based or a bad connection/vibration/etc then I guess the symptoms would fit.. but diagnosing it would be a pig ...... :(

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 08 June 2019, 12:44:29 »

Okay, the tanks sat on the grass in the back garden. Pretty much empty and with the fill and the feed valve removed.
As said before, I've no residue in any of the filters. No residue on the float or around the outlet valve.
Even though i'd applied 12 volts the tank valve and heard it clank, I didn't know if it was actually shutting off .........  now I confirm it is closing air tight.
Just got in from work and stuck a USB camera probe down the welded feel tube in the tank.
As far as I can see, there is no corrosion in there  :-\

So this is leading me to the front end of the car .........

Question, does the reducer have a non return valve on the lpg side that stops any liquid / vapour flowing back towards the rear of the car ?
Thinking back, I did have a few issues with it running like a sack 'o shite which was pretty much cured by tweaking the temp settings up  :-\
Last year, I also had issues with the manifold pressure wandering all over the place, causing me to tweak the adjustment screw every week or so  :-\

I'm thinking that i've ripped the back end apart for nothing and the real problem is the reducer  :-\
At the end of the day, it is bolted on the chassis, underneath the water bottle and within inches of the exhaust manifold  :-\

I can't do sweet f all at the moment due to the weather but fingers crossed tomorrow I can rebuild the back end, remove the reducer to directly apply 12 volts to it and have a good suck / blow   :-X :D

I'll also go through the electrical connections which are under the airbox to see if i've got a bad connection
« Last Edit: 08 June 2019, 12:46:51 by tigers_gonads »

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 26 June 2019, 21:36:16 »

Due to work / weather, I haven't done much but here is what I have done ............

Rebuilt tank and replaced the 8mm - JIC elbow on the inlet valve due to the brass nut splitting  :-[
While replacing, I pulled a couple of inches of fresh pipe through but now I can't get the tank to except liquid  >:(
I presume i've been a knob and kinked / crushed the 8mm tank feed pipe somewhere so i'm going to replace all pipework next week fingers crossed.

Once I can get liquid in the tank, i'll go through the front end wiring, stick 12 volts across the vaporiser to make sure its opening and take it from there  :y

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 05 July 2019, 14:42:37 »

Just stripped the front end wiring down and applied independent 12 volt supply to the front / back solenoid wiring.
Tank opens and shuts but nothing from the vaporiser.
12 volts applied directly to the vaporiser solenoid pins again with no success.
Put the test meter across the coil pins and it is open circuit so knackered.
Looks like the vaporiser has taken some hammer over the last 7 or 8 years so a new one ordered.
Should be here next week fingers crossed  :y

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.