Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.6 starts then stops  (Read 3318 times)

powerslinky

2.6 starts then stops
« on: 22 November 2016, 17:18:44 »

Not too worried about this at the moment  . . but where shall I start looking ?

I've always started my omegas just by turning the key  . .no gas pedal  . . & they have usually always started on the button & straight away found a nice steady idle  :y

This 2.6 CDX has developed the habit of starting instantly as normal but then cutting out after 2-3 seconds .  Second attempt it will sometimes do the same & cut out , but third time it will idle as normal with no cut out.

If from cold I give it a little gas pedal all is well & car will settle to nice idle as normal  (1000 from cold cutting back to 500/550 ish once warmed)

Am I worrying about nothing & is it simply the  case that this one just needs a bit of gas pedal from cold or is something amiss here.

This only happens on the first start of the day  . .be it morning or afternoon :-\

« Last Edit: 22 November 2016, 17:23:41 by Essex Big Al »

Samer

• Damascus . Syria
    • View Profile
Re: 2.6 starts then stops
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2016, 18:31:09 »

Dear Member,
I would suggest checking the Idle control valve . Based on my experience it causes such a fault on the Omega.
Before changing any part try to connect a Tech 2 scanner to check other sensors as well.
Good luck
Samer

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2016, 18:36:13 »

Dear Member,
I would suggest checking the Idle control valve . Based on my experience it causes such a fault on the Omega.
Before changing any part try to connect a Tech 2 scanner to check other sensors as well.
Good luck
Samer

2.6/3.2 didn't have icv.

Check vac pipes, and clean throttle bodies,
Hoof'land storeman.

powerslinky

« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2016, 19:41:49 »

Dear Member,
Good luck
Samer

No ICV on 2.6  & no codes showing

powerslinky

« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2016, 19:45:24 »

Dear Member,
Good luck
Samer

2.6/3.2 didn't have icv.

Check vac pipes, and clean throttle bodies,

Will check vac pipes BG  . . .but pretty sure all ok there.   Throttle bodies  cleaned recently when doing breathers, so that should be ok .  But .  .thinking about it , just after that is when this started occuring  :-\ :-\      Strange as it only does it on the first start of the day  :-\ :-\

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2016, 00:06:45 »

If vac pipes etc. are all ok then it might be worth changing the fuel filter. Could crank sensor also be a suspect ?
Otherwise, an elctrickery problem ? I can remember Lampynoiseboys 3.2 having similar issues and the only fix was to change the engine ECU.  :-\....................Then RobG bought it and dismantled it.  ::) ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2016, 09:09:21 »

My 3.2 had these symptoms; a new crank sensor cured it. Your symptoms sound typical of a crank sensor starting to fail, although mine would start sometimes, then others just turn over. When it did fire, it was only for a split second, before it would die
But having said that, they also do sound similar of another 3.2 I had where the ECU had received a 'spike' from a duff battery which fried the ECU - it would start normally, but only run for a couple of seconds and then die. A second hand ecu reprogrammed to the car cured that.
When did you last change the fuel filter?
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2016, 09:47:24 »

Does a pedal trick reveal any codes stored?

Could be crank sensor starting to go but the 2.6 is also prone to MAF issues. Other possibilities are that the coolant temperature sensor is lying, meaning you don't get enough cold start enrichment. Air leaks are a possibility too, and given that it started misbehaving just after everything was reassembled...
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2016, 13:05:46 »

I would start with the easy ones first, Penlium off. TB's off, clean the TB's, the plastic ram pipes and remove the rear multi ram valve and good clean, and inside the penlium (the Poundland Alloy Wheel Cleaner is brilliant for these jobs). Check the Air Intake pipes between the Air Filter and the TB's for any cracks or leaks.

After that, do you have another Maf you could try and swap?, and as said Coolant Temp, etc.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 November 2016, 13:16:52 »

may be worth seeing if it starts and runs with the MAF completely disconnected (check for codes first, though).
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

powerslinky

« Reply #10 on: 23 November 2016, 20:19:12 »

Ok guys thanks for the replies . . .will work through all the suggestions  :y

As said above . . no codes showing  & throttle bods cleaned recently when doing breathers.

Strange thing here is that , and we are talking first start of the day, car always starts instantly & then after just a second or two will stop , only to (9/10 goes ) restart & tick over perfectly on the second attempt.
Again as said if a little gas pedal is added to the first start all is fine :-\ :-\

Not had car long & have not had chance to change fuel filter yet , although I have one ready ;)

Also have a spare 3.2 MAF is this the same as a 2.6 ?

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 November 2016, 20:44:13 »

Ok guys thanks for the replies . . .will work through all the suggestions  :y

As said above . . no codes showing  & throttle bods cleaned recently when doing breathers.

Strange thing here is that , and we are talking first start of the day, car always starts instantly & then after just a second or two will stop , only to (9/10 goes ) restart & tick over perfectly on the second attempt.
Again as said if a little gas pedal is added to the first start all is fine :-\ :-\

Not had car long & have not had chance to change fuel filter yet , although I have one ready ;)

Also have a spare 3.2 MAF is this the same as a 2.6 ?

Yep.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 November 2016, 21:39:26 »

I know it sounds unlikely, buy my wife's 3.2 performed similarly a few years ago; would start, then stop, start again, stop again, then after a pause would start and settle down to a smooth idle. Fault was a tired battery. I fitted a different battery and all was normal again.

powerslinky

« Reply #13 on: 23 November 2016, 22:00:03 »

I know it sounds unlikely, buy my wife's 3.2 performed similarly a few years ago; would start, then stop, start again, stop again, then after a pause would start and settle down to a smooth idle. Fault was a tired battery. I fitted a different battery and all was normal again.

noted Terry thanks.   Battery came with car but seems ok  . .but will check  . .another possibility :y

my syptoms are just the first start on any day . Even starting it at 6 in the morning & then leaving it all day until like 8pm in the evening , at the 8pm start  . .perfect .  Really strange this one  :-\ :-\

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 November 2016, 22:48:01 »

Mine does it occasionally, but it never happens when the fuel level is high. I suspect a weak fuel pump. Proper diagnosis will become possible if the problem happens more frequently.

It has had a new crank sensor and a replacement MAF, but those were to cure a consistent lack of idle when thoroughly warmed up.

I've never known changing a fuel filter to have any effect but to make me smell of petrol. Not a good job on an estate with a towbar, but I don't expect to do it again. I think the one I removed was original.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.