Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Petrol, does it make a difference.  (Read 4723 times)

Ady

• Poole
    • Omega 2.6
    • View Profile
Petrol, does it make a difference.
« on: 09 February 2014, 10:01:02 »

I've been fueling up at different stations and noticed some perform better than others.

What fuel do you use and does Opitimax or higher octane fuels perform that much better.

Or is it better to use an octane additive with standard petrol.

??

2.6 CDX 

05omegav6

Re: Petrol, does it make a difference.
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2014, 11:15:28 »

Shell V power and Tescos Ultimate both make a difference to the way the car picks up and the mpg :y the mpg gain is somewhat offset by the cost of the fuel though :-\

Some garages are better than others when it comes to tank maintenance though... try and make a note of which fuels have a negative effect and avoid them :y

Personally, I normally by regular Shell and bung in the odd tank of V power along with a couple of tins of Wynns injector/fuel treatment. If you don't have the Pre Cat codes putting the EML on, then this will help keep them at bay, as will giving the car a decent blast every so often :y

New car is only getting V power...

SIR Philbutt

• Omega Knight
  • Rochdale - Manchester
  • It will soon be Christmas ...
    • 03 2.2 CDX LPG estate
    • View Profile
    • PJB Home Services
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2014, 23:00:39 »

I see a difference with LPG from different places, thing is the cheapest is the best  ??? it's a gas place not a station.

All the rest are Cheshire gas supplied, but there are differences between them  ???
keep happy, keep safe, keep smiling, keep in touch

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2014, 23:57:40 »

I use shell   v.power.....always had trouble with emissions at m.o.t.time to the extent of telling me the cat needed replacing to allowing it to idle for 20 minutes before it just about crept in on limits....now no trouble at all in fact they told me that the emissions are well within limits first time around.So i think it is worth the extra pennies for the v.power.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 February 2014, 07:38:38 »

If you are having to run at a budget, give it three fills before MOT time with V power etc to help the ommisions levels. Usually super market fuel is not as god as normal stations
Keith B

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 February 2014, 08:29:26 »

Any car with knock sensors should be able to see some benefit from higher octane fuels.

As to supermarket v branded fuel, I think on petrol its far less noticible than on diesel.

The individual needs to ascertain if the small benefits are worth the expense
Grumpy old man

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2014, 09:32:29 »

V-Power is very good if you need the high octane stuff for say Japanese imports and bikes, however I have found both the Omega and Corsa run great on Esso especially Supreme, I learn't recently that Supreme is one of the few fuels that are still to not have Ethanol added apart from in South West.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2014, 12:41:02 »

V-Power is very good if you need the high octane stuff for say Japanese imports and bikes, however I have found both the Omega and Corsa run great on Esso especially Supreme, I learn't recently that Supreme is one of the few fuels that are still to not have Ethanol added apart from in South West.

I read recently that the proportion of ethanol added to petrol will increase due to EU rules on using sustainable fuels, however many older engines cannot cope with the extra proportion of ethanol....  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 February 2014, 12:55:28 »

Yep you are right, however what a lot of people don't know is that the ethanol content has been rising for a number of years from around 2% to now this year 5%, ethanol though an Octane booster actually causes fuel economy to reduce. At the moment in the UK there is no date for the introduction of E10 though Germany has had it for a couple of years and was not well received, fuel economy will suffer even more as well as any possible damage to seals etc. Not sure if the Omega could ever run on E10.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 February 2014, 17:16:55 »

Glad both of mine are running on fartgas then :)
Grumpy old man

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 February 2014, 20:16:44 »

I will only use supermarket fuel if absolutely desperate - I, like others, have found that I get better mpg from BP Ultimate and the like - so ppm works out roughly the same...
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 10 February 2014, 20:20:10 »

I will only use supermarket fuel if absolutely desperate - I, like others, have found that I get better mpg from BP Ultimate and the like - so ppm works out roughly the same...
That's what I found when V Power first came out :y

The extra mileage gained justifies the extra cost. Any performance benefits are free 8)

andymp

• Wakefield, UK
    • 2003 Omega CD 2.2 dti Est
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 February 2014, 23:56:54 »

Shell V power diesel makes a noticeable difference too... ???
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Rog

« Reply #13 on: 11 February 2014, 10:21:54 »

I'm a total V Power convert. However, be careful. Normally V Power is around 6p per litre more than 95 unleaded, occasionally however you will find a Shell garage that charges as much as 11p more per litre.

I never buy V Power at a motorway service station, simply way too expensive (Actually I never buy anything at a motorway service station for the same reason)

I am cautious about other premium fuels like BP Ultimate, same price as V Power but not nearly as good, 97/98 ron instead of 99. Some supermarkets have a good 99 ron petrol.

Some years ago before V Power replaced Optimax, I was in a focus group where Shell were trying to assess how much they could charge for V Power. Prices as much as 20p over unleaded were bandied about  :o

I have to hold my hands up and mention that I also buy Shell as I am an avid Air Miles (Avios) collector  :y

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 February 2014, 11:15:37 »

Well, I'm going to go against the grain here and state that despite much trying and some dyno testing, I cannot tell the difference.

Each engine will be set up to run on a certain octane of fuel. In the case of Omega B, that's 95RON. Feeding that same engine with 98RON or higher makes no difference except in very extreme circumstances.

sorry
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.