Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega 24v Work in Progress  (Read 42275 times)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Omega 24v Work in Progress
« Reply #90 on: 08 June 2017, 01:04:54 »

Each front hub/axle is bolted to the McPherson strut using two bolts. One of the bolt holes is slotted to allow adjustment.

Wear in the bushes will allow some movement but it is failure to adjust the camber using these bolts which is the cause of that much camber.

Same as the Senator. In short term I will likely have a go at setting it up using the socket spacer method I've seen on here. Mainly to get it over the winter months, and minimise wear, when I won't be using it much anyway. Timing belt is the first and most important thing I need to change.

As an aside, was reading through this thread at work I've done etc. and I remembered I'd checked my cavy (with fixed camber afaik) camber and it was much the same. I'd imagine a wheel should be perpendicular to the road, even a couple of mils out you would think uneven tyre wear but no not really. There must be a reason it is set like this, some mechanical sophisticatory that us mere mortals don't understand.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 13 September 2017, 13:33:29 »

Small update: fixed scuttle leak. Sealed the join on n/s and sealed wiper hole on o/s with panel sealant. Dried out coil packs, look ok. One got a wee crack at base but no rust. Took plugs out. They were very hard to undo, and 5 of them broke, so got new ones from vx dealer. Due to rebuild it all tonight if it doesn't rain!

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 14 September 2017, 06:35:28 »

Seems to be running ok now, after a kind of noisy start up. Got me worried. It sounded like a tappety noise, maybe sticky tappet. It disappeared then reappeared, but eventually went quiet.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 14 September 2017, 15:10:24 »

Probably lazy cam followers/tappets.

If it only does it from cold then it might be the exhaust manifold gaskets.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 20 September 2017, 22:22:02 »

Probably lazy cam followers/tappets.

If it only does it from cold then it might be the exhaust manifold gaskets.

Thinking the same thing. It went away after 5 mins and then when I tapped the throttle a little it came back then went away after a couple of mins. Seems ok now. I did an oil change on it but I don't think I flushed it. Will do that next oil change give it a good flush.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 06 December 2017, 07:21:13 »

Next job i think is flush and oil & filter change in box as up change is still a bit sticky. It looks like the same box as in senator if not mistaken, small sump and large sump. If so i d have spare gaskets. Have also started aquiring rear exhaust bits, can only afford one bit a month. Need to get 2 centre sections next.

Still not convinced scuttle is properly sealed, either that or water is leaking in wiper hole to engine bay. Not suffered leak into passenger floor again, checked drain and is clear so would love to know how that water got in. Hopefully it was the little bit of bulkhead join i sealed with grease. There was rust starting in join so i dug out all dried sealant and rust treated it but hadn't sealed it at the time.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 17 December 2017, 19:49:48 »

Noticed tonight on my drive home the EML was on. Whether filling it with costco fuel made any difference IDK but happened soon after that I'm guessing. Decided as I had chance to get some at the low price I took 20 bucks worth.

Code is reading 0150, which I believe can mean 4 things but all related to the 02 sensor. My exhaust is rotten at the back and needs replaced and again not sure if this is precipitating the problem although this is all after the cats area.

Will need to try and get someone with a code reader or splash out and get one that can clear codes see if they come back.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 17 December 2017, 21:50:44 »

Noticed tonight on my drive home the EML was on. Whether filling it with costco fuel made any difference IDK but happened soon after that I'm guessing.

How much is Costco fuel out of interest?

say vs your local supermarket or Shell garage.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 17 December 2017, 21:54:01 »

Noticed tonight on my drive home the EML was on. Whether filling it with costco fuel made any difference IDK but happened soon after that I'm guessing.

Costco was about 1.07 for regular, whereas supermarket stuff is about 1.16 thereabouts.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 17 December 2017, 22:19:48 »

Costco was about 1.07 for regular, whereas supermarket stuff is about 1.16 thereabouts.

That’s really good, Costco Farnborough really, really needs to start selling fuel.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 18 December 2017, 06:41:09 »

That’s really good, Costco Farnborough really, really needs to start selling fuel.

It is, not ran my car on it before seemed to run fine although bit of a fly in the ointment with that light coming on! probably a huge coincidence i hope.

Automaticman

• Neston
  • Saxwood
    • Frontera V6 Omega V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 27 February 2018, 07:04:40 »

Last time I went last year it was £1.16 at Chester Costco  :o
When ya wanna shoot, shoot, dont talk !

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 02 April 2018, 16:54:32 »

Wee update to keep things rolling on my WIP. I've been posting various things all over the site but haven't updated anything here, so here we go:

EML light is now out. This came on when I'd filled up with costco fuel, I think this was a big coincidence, however it had me thinking could it really have been that. I came to my senses and thought no it can't be.

So at the same time, or just after this event, I was planning to replace the back end of the exhaust, well the back 2/3s as it was toast, mainly around the join to the tail pipe. I had hoped that maybe this was causing a problem with gas flow and that the code for 02 sensor was on as a result. Idk but a fair assumption at best.

I hadn't done anything else to the motor so I was fishing for other things that could have fired the code off.

Right about that time I also experienced a judder and at one point , a stall, when I was pulling up outside house. This happened a few more times so I was getting edgy now and had lost confidence in the reliability of the car.

This then led me to think that the crank sensor was on the way out as I had read on here so many times, so bought one of those, Gen GM one. I then decided to give the vac pipes and connectors another good look over, and the only thing I could perhaps suspect was the plug going onto the airflow meter bit at the front, which the plug bit that secures it on was broke. However this happened ages ago when I done the timing belt I decided probably not that, as it still felt secure in it place, and had no issues since last year. I got a tie wrap and secured it round the plug then tightened it so it would pull it right into the plug socket.

Immediately after this, the EML light was still on, so I decide maybe it was the exhaust sensor and/or crank sensor etc. I then drove down to my folks to drop off a few things, stopped for fuel on the way and when I restarted it voila the EML light was out!

I had heard that it can take a bit of time for codes to clear, so it must have been this loose connector. Just goes to show the carnage a loose connection can cause. Codes were saying one things but it was that. It also goes to show how that a code doesn't always mean that, and ironically, the code will only be correct if the whole electronic circuit is not breached in any way.

I checked tyres a few days ago as well and they were all around mid to low 20s, so bumped them up to 30, and fuel economy is also much better, and the car is running very sweet.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 24 April 2018, 23:02:41 »

Recently replaced the outside air temp sensor and temps now working! All I need to get done for the Summer (?) is air-con charged up, hope it holds charge!

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 29 April 2018, 18:52:16 »

So, got a friendly AA guy i know to plug his diagnostics in and check codes, from the list that popped up there was codes for a few other things inc. Tps, and for bank 2 sensor 1 and 2. Cleared all the codes and been fine ever since. Mpg seems a lot better, about 35 instead of 27 typical, and gearbox behaving itself too.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.