Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disconnecting self leveling suspension  (Read 894 times)

106pete

• Plymouth
    • Omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
Disconnecting self leveling suspension
« on: 20 June 2014, 17:39:28 »

I'm in the middle of fitting height adjustable suspension to my 98 elite estate and wondering what to do with the self leveling.

I can either keep the rear shocks and adjust the sensor so match.

Or

Remove the self leveling shocks for the sport ones and some how disconnect the pump so I don't have any warning lights?

I've also noticed there's a height sensor on the NSF wheel, does this need to be moved to match the rear?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks pete

05omegav6

Re: Disconnecting self leveling suspension
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2014, 17:45:56 »

Keep the shocks and adjust the sensor :y nsf and nsr sensors for headlight levelling, sfa to do with suspension  :y

Osr sensor is the levelling one :y

106pete

• Plymouth
    • Omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2014, 19:16:33 »

Thanks for that, I'll try keeping the oem shocks but if I decide to swap them later on, how would I go about turning off the self leveling?

Fingers crossed the kit will go on easy and I'll have time to fit the lsd aswell :-)

Thanks pete

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2014, 19:44:55 »

Pull the fuse :y self levelling shocks don't like being uninflated though as the bladders chafe through. If it works, leave it be imho...

chrisgixer

« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2014, 22:57:43 »

Thanks for that, I'll try keeping the oem shocks but if I decide to swap them later on, how would I go about turning off the self leveling?

Fingers crossed the kit will go on easy and I'll have time to fit the lsd aswell :-)

Thanks pete

Hi Pete.

Sensor for self levelling is positioned right side of dif. There's a guide on testing self levelling that will help. The other sensors are part of the levelling system for the head lights. Two totally separate systems.

Re self levelling suspension itself, I think it depends greatly on your load carrying expectations with the car. Self levelling is very good at adjusting the height according to load, as you might expect.
However I find the quality of the damping and the independent qualities per rear wheel are sadly lacking, in that it tends to feel like a torsion beam rear end, rather than the independent rear suspension that's really good without sl. I think its a problem with transferring air from one side to the other through that small 4mm(?) hose.

I'm a bit vague with setting the rear ride height via the sensor though. As ime, it doesn't "seem" to make much difference if the the sl is adjusted via tech 2, or by fiddling the sensor. It always appears to find the height of the springs, then got to that. :-\ I know! that's not what you might think but there we are. :-\ If so, that will work in your favour matching your adjustable suspension. Assuming ride height adjusters on the base of the springs?

I'd try your springs with the sl and see how you go with ride quality, with load carrying in mind. If not happy, and I suspect you won't be if needing to upgrade the suspension anyway, then go with the sport shocks. If I understand your post correctly?

Pulling the fuse will work, but fuse 27 also runs the rear 12v charger socket, so there's two black relays along the top of the fuse box under the steering wheel. One is for sl, other is high beam. Pull one, if high beam still works, you have the sl relay. :y bit as Al says, don't run the sl shocks with a non working pump though, as suspension movement
will chafe the bladders with no air in them.

Further. There's a member here running air bladders in the rear springs, connected to the self levelling pump. This allows the best of both worlds Afaict. In that we get decent shocks, with a ride height adjustment as well. The ride height adjustment can then be turned on and off as required. (Although the pump has a habit of seizing if not used continually :( )

chrisgixer

« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2014, 23:00:18 »

Also re rear ride height and lowering. Any lower than 20mm from standard and the rear camber and toe setting becomes very difficult to achieve.

106pete

• Plymouth
    • Omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2014, 17:31:09 »

Thanks guys I took your advice and played with the self leveling pump but not touched the lights yet. Fitting the kit took longer than I expected with seized bits and bobs but it all on and this is how it looks.

OMG I've made a hot rod!

I'm slightly concerned atm that the rear hasn't dropped at all, maybe even higher!

I think the front is abit low atm but Theres still 25mm of drop left which seems crazy. I just don't know what to do about the rear. I'm goin to research the springs now. Evo1711 is what I've been given.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.