Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new door with electric windows and TID to MID  (Read 1447 times)

jay99

• Greater Manchester.
    • Omega 2.0 manual 2000
    • View Profile
new door with electric windows and TID to MID
« on: 09 July 2014, 16:42:45 »

Hello

I replaced my back drivers side door yesterday because of the window being smashed in and didn't replace the window due to there being a dent so I changed it. I have a wind up window on one side and electric on the other, I don't mind this but they both need to open.

The loom was plugged in and the light and door lock works but the electric window dosent. It used to be a manual wind up so is there a way of activating it by inserting a fuse somewhere?

Secondly my TID is dying and the pixels are nearly all gone and it looks bad. Could I replace it with a MID without the stalk or wiring and still get the date, time and radio station as I don't need the fuel consumption etc? I could buy another TID but bigger is better always and looks more posh. Would one from a diesel facelift work on a petrol as there's one at a scrapyard.
So how do I know which connector I have, yellow/grey? Is it model/year dependant or random? 

Thanks

« Last Edit: 09 July 2014, 16:45:17 by jay99 »

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
Re: new door with electric windows and TID to MID
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2014, 17:09:37 »

It used to be a manual wind up
You need a driver`s door loom from an "all electric" spec
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2014, 17:46:54 »

TID to MID, assuming you have a TID and not something else, it can be upgraded to a MID, however you will need the Stalk to use it and probably have to modify the wiring to keep the Sensor side of things happy, and yes they are Model specific but can be re programmed with a Tech 2 if you get your hands on the wrong Model type, Grey Connector needed for your Car yr2000.

Fairly sure Taxi Al has done the MID upgrade to one of His Plods so He might be along later with some more details

« Last Edit: 09 July 2014, 17:55:39 by zirk »

jay99

• Greater Manchester.
    • Omega 2.0 manual 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2014, 18:19:24 »

Thank you

Really, I do not need any functions whatsoever so is the stalk necessary?  I just think it'll look better and give me the time and date. So will one from a 3.0L omega that I found on eBay work? Has my car definitely got a grey connector?

In regards to the window, the plug and wiring seem to be all there and plugs in. Could a power feed be sent to it to enable the passenger to use the window? Is the loom really needed as I don't need to control it.

Thanks

jay99

• Greater Manchester.
    • Omega 2.0 manual 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 July 2014, 19:15:19 »

I realised now that there are only about 4 wires going to the door and about 10 others from the door itself. I've found a loom for about a tenner on eBay, buthow do I fit this? The plastic trunking seems impossible to remove and where do I plug it all in? There must be an easier way, one positive and negative wire from somewhere and plug it in???   

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 09 July 2014, 21:13:59 »

I realised now that there are only about 4 wires going to the door and about 10 others from the door itself. I've found a loom for about a tenner on eBay, buthow do I fit this? The plastic trunking seems impossible to remove and where do I plug it all in? There must be an easier way, one positive and negative wire from somewhere and plug it in???
There's a guide in the maintenance section for the Mid conversion... but for sanities sake, get another TID :y

To make the rear windows work, you need the drivers door loom and another large 30 amp fuse in the fuse box under the steering wheel.

The reason you need the drivers door loom is because the power for the rear windows goes through the drivers door switch. Bypassing this opens a world of unintended consequences...

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 09 July 2014, 21:17:37 »

Swapping the TID for a MID you need to rewire the plug to suit the screen you are fitting, so you need about 8" of loom from the car the new screen comes from and the switch.

Without the switch you will get a display that constantly shows a check message rather than anything useful, so budget for everything listed in the How To :y

jay99

• Greater Manchester.
    • Omega 2.0 manual 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 July 2014, 22:25:25 »

Thank you Taxi Al!

So there's no way to do this. If I find I have the grey connector, what would happen, would I still be able to see the time and date? I wouldn't mind the check light being on.

One last thing, I'm going to get the loom off eBay now but I've only got the 2 window switch, do I need to budget for the 4 switch one or can I do it with just the loom?

Thanks!

By the way can you remove the wooden trims from the doors without removing the door card? I've got 3 black and I want to make it balanced.

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 09 July 2014, 23:11:20 »

To be clear... the window switch currently fitted is missing the connections that the full loom needs so you need the switch as well or it still won't work ::)

Re the MID, it's not just a check light, it says check brake light, check headlight/tail light, check coolant level, check oil level, check screenwash, and repeats until you press the switch button to cancel the message...

The only way to know what connector you have is to remove your instrument cluster...

Re door cards, they have to be removed to be dismantled :y but perfectly doable...

You could fit your old door card to the new door, as the rear window only needs the drivers door switch to work...
« Last Edit: 09 July 2014, 23:12:57 by Taxi Al »

jay99

• Greater Manchester.
    • Omega 2.0 manual 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 July 2014, 00:25:23 »

A door card change not an option as there's no room for the electric window switch on it.

I'm not sure I can get a mid for a 2.0 but there's a nice DTI CDX near me at a scrappy so I'll collect the loom, window switch, mid and stalk from there this week. I'll post up if I need help and post before and afters :y

By the way do you have the number for daz stoke so I can get my IACV, breathers cleaned and leaking cam covers done Taxi Al? By the way are there any other experts like him in the Manchester area?
Thanks  :y :y

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 10 July 2014, 01:23:39 »

Send Daz or Elite Pete a pm :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.