Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alarm/CL Module: Reprogramming: Tech-2  (Read 3827 times)

3MGs

• Wiltshire
    • 3 MG's & 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Alarm/CL Module: Reprogramming: Tech-2
« on: 18 July 2014, 14:57:25 »

I've been having various problems with the central locking on my 2000 3.0V6 for a while and the guy who usually sorts out these sort of things for me is unable to establish communication with it, either with a proper Tech-2 or with his Fix-all Chinese Gizmo.  He has suggested I try to obtain a S/H module which has had its memory wiped, so that he can try reading the system with that as a comparison.  A few inquiries with some breakers seem to suggest that wiping the memory is unnecessary (or difficult/impossible) and they either sell the module with an original fob, or expect you to get the old fob reprogrammed to the replaced module.

Does any of this make sense to the wise ones out there?

Is it likely, or, more to the point necessary, that I could find a de-programmed module, or can we just swap with a used module and go from there?

Any help, observations or pointers would be much appreciated, or does anyone have a spare Megamos "ES" part no 24426916, (or as Vauxhall say now superseded by Delphi "YP" part no 13112867)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Alarm/CL Module: Reprogramming: Tech-2
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2014, 20:46:39 »

Sounds exactly the symptoms of some idiot trying to program a remote fob via an illegal code reader that mustn't be mentioned.

Its sometimes possible to recover with the real tech2, but not always.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2014, 20:48:50 »

The solution is to get a replacement unit, complete with fobs, and the carpass. Then its pug and play.

Note, the ATWS/Central locking will then have a different security code to the immobiliser.
Grumpy old man

3MGs

• Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2014, 01:07:02 »

Hi,

Many thanks for your messages. Your key programming theory is quite possible, I bought the car just over a year ago, came with very little history, only has one key and the central locking has been playing up, off and on, for most of that time.

I suppose trying to clear the old unit with a Tech-2 is really a non-starter, as we don't seem to be able to get them to communicate, so a replacement module is the only way forward.  Assuming I can get a complete set of module, fob and code, is that likely to cause any future problems if, as you say, the alarm and immobiliser will end up with different pass codes?

I note from elsewhere on the Forum that you offer Tech-2 Services!!   The guy I use is a very good all round, all makes problem solver, but he is no particular expert on Vauxhalls and seems to favour using his Chinese gizmo to his proper Tech-2.   So I'm thinking, when I've sourced the necessary bits, and the possibility there may be things to be programmed or other faults to be discovered, could I bring the car up to you to give it a good going-over with your Tech-2?

Many thanks for your help so far,

John   

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2014, 08:04:12 »

If you fancy a weekend away then Newent 2014Newent Site is a good way to meet up with fellow Omega owners and learn a few things about cambelts and wishbone bushes while TB interrogates your car with Tech2.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2014, 08:15:00 by Andy H »
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

3MGs

• Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2014, 12:59:02 »

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your message and invite. Just had a look at the Newent info and was wondering if it might be possible to turn up just for Friday 5th, as I shall be at Beaulieu Autojumble 6th/7th "doing MGs"

I was really rather hoping to get the locking problem sorted before then, if poss.  Up until a week or so ago it had just been occasionally unreliable, but now it's gone totally dead. 

By the way, before anyone asks, I did replace the locking motor in the driver's door a few months ago, with a brand new one from Vauxhall. The old one was seriously tired, and it did seem to fix the problem for a while, but then started playing up again a few weeks later.

I shall need to locate a replacement module set etc. first, and see what results I get with that. There are also a couple of other issues that need Tech2ing, so will have to see how TB is fixed, either at Newent or at Brackley.

TB ??

As I'm still very new to OOF I don't think I'm eligible to post on the Parts Wanted pages yet, but if anyone can offer any advice on obtaining a Megamos "ES" part no 24426916, with fob(s) and code, it would be much appreciated, (Vauxhall say that Delphi "YP" part no 13112867 is direct replacement, at £340 + vat !!!) 

Many thanks for all your help...............John.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2014, 13:06:56 »

Apologies for delay, I don't always have time to get on here every day  :-[

Changing the ATWS or CL ECU (does the car have an alarm, or just CL?) is no problem. It matters not if the security codes are different between the ATWS/Cl and the Immobiliser. As long as when it comes to key programming, you know which code to use for which part.

You're welcome here, or if Kevin Wood (Hampshire) is closer, I'm sure he'll be able to look at stuff with his Tech2.

Newent - not sure what time I'll be getting there, may not be until the evening. I guess you have an early start on Sat, but if you're close enough, I suspect most people will be there by around 8pm ish on the Friday. Always nice to put names to faces.
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2014, 13:25:14 »

Not sure whereabouts in Wilts you are .. but a bunch of us are going to Oxford tomorrow (Sunday) and there "might" be a tech2 attending ???   

3MGs

• Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2014, 15:44:58 »

Hi TB,

Thanks for your reply and v. helpful info.  I now understand how it can work with 2 codes. Mine is a combined ATWS and CL, by the way, (Megamos ES module)

I looked up Kevin on the map, Alton is marginally closer to us, as the crow flies, but we know your part of the world quite well as my wife has family and friends in Northampton and Bletchley areas.  I didn't realise the Newent event was only really assembling Friday evening, so I think I shall have to give that a miss for this year.

I think the order of things is to find the new bits, swap them over and see what what works, then see what Tech2ing I need and get back to you. Hope that's OK,

Many thanks.............................John

3MGs

• Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2014, 16:11:23 »

Hi Entwood,

Thanks for your message and invite on the Oxford trip tomorrow, but unfortunately I'm a bit committed tomorrow.

From what I have learnt from the above, there seems little chance (according to TB) of recovering the existing module, so a Tech-2 session right now (if it turns up) would probably not benefit greatly, but many thanks for the offer anyway.

I am in Stert (Wear the fox hat?) It's a tiny village about 2mls east of Devizes.  It's good to know that there are other Omega enthusiasts close? by, so hope we can meet up sometime soon.

John.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 July 2014, 16:23:13 »

Nay probs .. :)

Stert .. not far from Urchfont if memory serves ?? I run a caravan rally in Urchfont to coincide with the scarecrow festival :)

I'm in Royal Wootty B so not that far, and several others in Swindon and surrounds  :)

3MGs

• Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 July 2014, 16:44:03 »

Urchfont.....that's the one, it's about 3 or 4 fields from here, you must have driven past the end of our road many times!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 July 2014, 11:01:01 »

Urchfont.....that's the one, it's about 3 or 4 fields from here, you must have driven past the end of our road many times!
And caused traffic chaos, being a caravanner ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 July 2014, 11:03:24 »

Oh, and to answer your Q, yes it should just work if you get the ATWS (which has the integrated CL function) and paired fob(s).

As said, if you can try to get the "carpass" from the donor vehicle, it may help if you need to program more keys in the future.
Grumpy old man

3MGs

• Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 July 2014, 11:45:20 »

Hi TB,

Thanks for that.......just one further thought, as mine is an estate it has a 2 button fob. Will it matter if the "new" set I get come out of a saloon with 3 button fobs?  Presumably the modules are the same for the same year/spec. vehicles?

Vega

• The Netherlands
    • Omega Saloon 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 July 2014, 19:50:08 »

As said, if you can try to get the "carpass" from the donor vehicle, it may help if you need to program more keys in the future.

It is quite easy to get the code from the ATWS.
You can replace the ES for a YP ATWS module.

Will it matter if the "new" set I get come out of a saloon with 3 button fobs?  Presumably the modules are the same for the same year/spec. vehicles?

Not really a 3 button will also work in a Estate, you can program the ATWS for a saloon or a estate, you can even combine 2 and 3 button fob's to one ATWS (only facelift models)

Peter

3MGs

• Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 July 2014, 01:26:28 »

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for more very useful information,
I may need to know more about how to get code from ATWS, if the one I get doesn't come with a number!

John.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 July 2014, 17:49:21 »

Hi TB,

Thanks for that.......just one further thought, as mine is an estate it has a 2 button fob. Will it matter if the "new" set I get come out of a saloon with 3 button fobs?  Presumably the modules are the same for the same year/spec. vehicles?
I *thought* they were different, would need to check EPC, when I've fixed it
Grumpy old man

Vega

• The Netherlands
    • Omega Saloon 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 July 2014, 00:34:42 »

I may need to know more about how to get code from ATWS, if the one I get doesn't come with a number!

You will need a eprom programmer to do this.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 July 2014, 06:00:19 »

You will need a eprom programmer to do this.
The code is easily retrieved with an eprom programmer.  You probably need to lift the chip to get it, which will be a pain due to the "varnish" that the board is coated in, and the lack of access to the chip in question.
Grumpy old man

3MGs

• Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 July 2014, 01:21:13 »

Thanks everyone, I now have a "working solution".  Please see new thread.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.