Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Oven Chips  (Read 5660 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Oven Chips
« on: 04 December 2019, 18:21:36 »

I'd never thought about oven chips until recently and usually just grabbed the cheapest supermarket own brand, until I ran out and bought a bag of McCains from a Spar shop.  Expensive, but far and away better than the own brands I usually buy.  :y

I'm currently wading through a big bag from The Hearty Food Company which cost 90p in Tesco.  Not bad, but a bit greasy.  ::) 

The same size bag of McCains oven chips were somewhere between £2 -£3!  :o  When the chips were down, I couldn't bring myself to splash out....  :-[  ;D

So what are your favourite oven chips?  ???
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

Re: Oven Chips
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2019, 18:27:10 »

I was gonna tell you, then I thought....an 'oven chip' thread....no  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2019, 18:27:24 »

I'd never thought about oven chips until recently and usually just grabbed the cheapest supermarket own brand, until I ran out and bought a bag of McCains from a Spar shop.  Expensive, but far and away better than the own brands I usually buy.  :y

I'm currently wading through a big bag from The Hearty Food Company which cost 90p in Tesco.  Not bad, but a bit greasy.  ::) 

The same size bag of McCains oven chips were somewhere between £2 -£3!  :o  When the chips were down, I couldn't bring myself to splash out....  :-[  ;D

So what are your favourite oven chips???

Those made from potato. :)

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2019, 18:27:56 »

So what are your favourite oven chips???

Those made from potato. :)
Or the ones someone else cooks.  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2019, 18:33:23 »

In the good old days people would return from the pub after 17 pints of 'wifebeater' and think it a good idea to cut up some spuds and put them in a wire basket with some lard or cooking oil, before falling asleep on the sofa.

Apparently some of the bodies were burned beyond recognition once the fire had been put out. :)

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2019, 18:34:09 »

In the good old days people would return from the pub after 17 pints of 'wifebeater' and think it was a good to cut up some spuds and put them in a wire basket with some lard or cooking oil, before falling asleep on the sofa.

Apparently some of the bodies were burned beyond recognition once the fire had been put out. :)
What were the chips like?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2019, 18:36:15 »

In the good old days people would return from the pub after 17 pints of 'wifebeater' and think it was a good to cut up some spuds and put them in a wire basket with some lard or cooking oil, before falling asleep on the sofa.

Black as Obama's arse......and probably very wet. :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2019, 18:45:10 »

So what are your favourite oven chips?  ???

No such thing .... chippy chips only!  :y :y

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 04 December 2019, 18:48:49 »

Black as Obama's arse......and probably very wet. :)
Obama isn't black anymore, he's a person of colour now.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 December 2019, 19:06:44 »

In the good old days people would return from the pub after 17 pints of 'wifebeater' and think it a good idea to cut up some spuds and put them in a wire basket with some lard or cooking oil, before falling asleep on the sofa.

That's exactly what happened to some of my Mums family about 20 years ago. Son came home late from the pub. Put the chip pan on and sat down to watch TV while it heated up,then fell asleep. His parents, sister and sisters baby were all upstairs in bed.
The firemen found the four bodies huddled together in the corner of a bedroom, presumably to try and escape the smoke and hope someone would rescue them.
They had no chance of getting down the stairs, and the upstairs windows were all long thin slits that a person couldn't possibly climb through.
I believe the son ended up on the funny farm because he couldn't live with the guilt. Whoever designed the houses probably didn't lose a wink of sleep though.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 December 2019, 19:09:06 »

On a more cheerful note. Oven chips are universally shite. The ones swmbo cooks in the frying pan cooked in oil are lovely, but not quite as nice as the ones my old Mum used to cook in lard. Her and my Dad had many heart attacks between them though, and the lard was probably a contributory factor.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2019, 19:11:33 »

That's exactly what happened to some of my Mums family about 20 years ago. Son came home late from the pub. Put the chip pan on and sat down to watch TV while it heated up,then fell asleep. His parents, sister and sisters baby were all upstairs in bed.
The firemen found the four bodies huddled together in the corner of a bedroom, presumably to try and escape the smoke and hope someone would rescue them.
They had no chance of getting down the stairs, and the upstairs windows were all long thin slits that a person couldn't possibly climb through.
I believe the son ended up on the funny farm because he couldn't live with the guilt. Whoever designed the houses probably didn't lose a wink of sleep though.

Fookin ell...... :-\

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2019, 19:15:44 »

That's truly awful. When you think about the difference in the way we live now to only, say, 60 years ago, it's like a different world. To the very young of today, we are history.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 December 2019, 19:33:22 »

My Friends  granny used to cook them on an open coal fire in a saucepan full of lard then served them up to us in newspaper they were the best. Could have been the printers ink ;D
Laying a rubber road.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 December 2019, 19:44:49 »

That's truly awful. When you think about the difference in the way we live now to only, say, 60 years ago, it's like a different world. To the very young of today, we are history.

The house in question was quite modern. Built in the late 60,s iirc. Bloody scandalous to put that design of windows in a house then.
The Father of the family who was killed in the fire had to be the unluckiest bloke alive. When he was younger he worked in Belfast shipyard. He was walking across the deck of a partially built ship in the dar, and someone had forgotten to put a plate over a hole in the deck. He fell down it and fell 70 feet, his arms and legs catching on the girders etc. on the way down. His arms and legs were an awful mess and he never worked again. Then about 20 years later, he died in the fire.
As my old Mum used to say, when your feeling down, remember theres always someone worse off than yourself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.